Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Yeah i was planning to do it myself using Rooks outline. I guess my question is 2-fold:

1. Is Amsoil "better" than Genuine Nissan (warranty is not an issue)
2. Should I be using Matic S or Matic J (either Genuine Nissan, or the respective compatible Amsoil equivalents)

I know that everyone is saying that Matic S has replaced Matic J or superseded it or whatever, but where exactly did that information come from? I haven't been able to find a Technical Service Bulletin or anything like that from Nissan indicating this officially. The reason I ask is because I have called two different dealers here in Canada and they have both told me that the correct ATF is Matic J.

1- I can only guess which one is "better". You might be able to call AMS and ask why they recommend Nissan fluid. They must have some reason because it's the only non AMS fluid they recommend on that list

2-From what i know, they only make one of the 2. Could be wrong about that. but when i got mine from the dealer that's what they told me

·
Super Moderator
4,293 Posts
You are not the first to report that Canadian Nissan dealers are recommending Matic J, although my recollection is that those reports were several years ago. At least for the U.S., Matic S has replaced Matic J as the factory recommended ATF.

You can't go wrong with Matic S. Frankly, I think you would be fine with any ATF that is listed as the equivalent of Matic S, but there is enough confusion as to the real cause of "SMOD" (many unsubstantiated suppositions have been repeated so often on the Internet that they have become "truths"), that the few extra dollars for Matic S is inexpensive peace of mind.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't mind spending a little extra for the Genuine Nissan if its just as good or better than Amsoil etc. I just want to make sure that that is the case. I heard that the Genuine Nissan is similar to or the same as Castrol Multi Import or something like that and just rebranded and made more expensive. Thought that going with a manufacturer like Amsoil would ensure you get the best product out there.

I did find this:

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/AUTOMOBILE/NISSAN/Rogue/2008/NTBs/NTB08-049a.pdf

It indicates that Matic J or Matic S can be used in the 5 speed rear wheel drive, and says in the footnote for Matic S that you can use Matic J if Matic S is not available. I am going to bring that to the dealer here and see what they have to say about it.

·
Super Moderator
4,293 Posts
I don't mind spending a little extra for the Genuine Nissan if its just as good or better than Amsoil etc. . . . .
How are you going to prove to your satisfaction that Nissan Matic S is "better" than Amsoil?

You now have the consensus of this board (and others) that the preferred Gen II Xterra ATF is genuine Nissan Matic S. You have the Nissan Technical Service Bulletin stating that one should only use genuine Nissan Matic S (unless the only ATF available is genuine Matic J). You even have Amsoil's own literature advising to use Matic S. Do you really think you are going to find an impartial lab report on the Internet favorably comparing Amsoil to Matic S that no one before you has ever found despite all the debate on this subject?

With all due respect, it appears that what you really want is something official or at least impartial to rely upon to justify a personal preference for Amsoil products. I don't think you will find it.

If it were me I'd stop over thinking this, buy a case of Matic S, and be done with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How are you going to prove to your satisfaction that Nissan Matic S is "better" than Amsoil?

You now have the consensus of this board (and others) that the preferred Gen II Xterra ATF is genuine Nissan Matic S. You have the Nissan Technical Service Bulletin stating that one should only use genuine Nissan Matic S (unless the only ATF available is genuine Matic J). You even have Amsoil's own literature advising to use Matic S. Do you really think you are going to find an impartial lab report on the Internet favorably comparing Amsoil to Matic S that no one before you has ever found despite all the debate on this subject?

With all due respect, it appears that what you really want is something official or at least impartial to rely upon to justify a personal preference for Amsoil products. I don't think you will find it.

If it were me I'd stop over thinking this, buy a case of Matic S, and be done with it.

Robert, my apologies but in my initial message, when i said "consensus" I was referring to what is the consensus with regards to using the Amsoil Multi-vehicle or the Fuel Efficient ATF, which is the question the OP originally posed. He did not get an answer to that question because someone advised him to use Genuine Nissan Matic S.

Now, I added some additional info which I don't think is all that repetitive. I did some research on the issue before posting on this site and others. I found that Amsoil lists each of the above ATFs as being specifically compatible with either Matic J or Matic S. I also stated my experience with dealers in Canada recommending Matic J over the S which seems to contradict what others are finding. And then i listed the Nissan official TSB and said that i will need to show that to my dealer to figure out the reason for the discrepancy.

The Matic J vs Matic S discussion is linked to the Amsoil Multi-Vehicle or the Fuel Efficient, as they seem to be respective compatible equivalents. Amsoil versus Genuine might be a matter of personal preference, but I would like to see some more opinions as I've seen various bits of info from posters online like for example the reference to the Castrol Import Vehicle ATF and also someone claims that Matic J is just the same as Dexron. Some wonder if the "S" in Matic S stands for synthetic, or if they are both conventional, etc. So aside from the impartial studies that may not exist, people might have other useful information to support or counter these opinions.

Maybe i am overthinking it, but really what are online forums for other than to think about stuff and get the opinions of others? If you took out all the overthinking on these sites you'd lose half the content. You gave your opinion which I appreciate and I would also like to hear what anyone else has to say. I'm not an expert on any of these subjects and am interested in learning more so that is what I am trying to do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
To follow up on the above, I emailed Amsoil for their opinion.

My question:

I have a 2007 Nissan Xterra Model S 4X4. I would like to use Amsoil automatic transmission fluid. There seems to be some confusion with Nissan's Genuine ATF whether to use Matic J or Matic S. I noticed that the Amsoil Multi Vehicle ATF is compatible with Matic J, while the Fuel Efficient is compatible with Matic S. Just wondering if Amsoil has any advice on which to use? Also, there is a note for the ATF when I look search for Amsoil products for my vehicle: [1] Use Genuine NISSAN Matic S transmission fluid. If NISSAN Matic S transmission fluid is not available use NISSAN Matic J fluid, or equivalent. Does this mean that Amsoil recommends that I use the Genuine Nissan ATF? Or is that must a note from Nissan?

Reply from Amsoil:

The Nissan Matic J was the Original recommendation. Nissan then updated their recommendation to Nissan Matic S. AMSOIL ATL meets Nissan Matic S, and is the preferred product at this time.

Technical Services

AMSOIL INC.
ADDRESS: 1 AMSOIL Center, Superior, WI 54880
PHONE: 715-392-7101
FAX: 715-392-3097

In addition, with reference to the above TSB regarding Matic J and Matic S, it says you can use an equivalent:

2) CAUTION: Use only the Genuine NISSAN Matic ATF specified here. Do not mix with other fluids. Using transmission fluid other than the Genuine NISSAN Matic ATF specified here or its equivalent may cause deterioration in drivability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty.

That might be significant or it might not be, but in the original 2007 owners manual, it says:

*3: Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty.

They don't mention equivalents in the original manual as they do in the TSB. Also, when i talked to the dealer parts and service department here, they said you can use other brands of ATF, he just said to make sure its compatible and from a reputable brand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I replied to Amsoil just to ask them where the footnote came from about using only Genuine Nissan:

My reply:

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to clarify though that the note I mentioned is not from Amsoil then?

[1] Use Genuine NISSAN Matic S transmission fluid. If NISSAN Matic S transmission fluid is not available use NISSAN Matic J fluid, or equivalent.

Because people are thinking that that note means that Amsoil themselves are telling people not to use Amsoil ATF in the Xterra transmission, and that Amsoil is in fact telling them that they have to use Genuine Nissan ATF.

Thanks again,

Amsoil Reply:

The footnote is from Nissan. From it, the ATL/OTL is the preferred fluid as it is Type S.

Technical Services
AMSOIL INC.
ADDRESS: 1 AMSOIL Center, Superior, WI 54880
PHONE: 715-392-7101
FAX: 715-392-3097

This post is also informative:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/truth-about-matic-j-55979/

·
on line
3,628 Posts
I am going to chime in here and say 1 thing.
I can't prove anything, but a guy on this board had Amsoil MV Trans fluid which was
recommended for his Vehicle, In his trans, that trans proceeded to implode after
about 12,000 miles, was it the Fluid? dunno, but a new trans was installed and he
has only used Nissan fluid from this point and has had no issues.

You can and will purchase whatever you wish, Most guys go with the Factory fluid because of horror stories.

B

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I am going to chime in here and say 1 thing.
I can't prove anything, but a guy on this board had Amsoil MV Trans fluid which was
recommended for his Vehicle, In his trans, that trans proceeded to implode after
about 12,000 miles, was it the Fluid? dunno, but a new trans was installed and he
has only used Nissan fluid from this point and has had no issues.

You can and will purchase whatever you wish, Most guys go with the Factory fluid because of horror stories.

B
And I was that guy.... The Nissan ATF is the best choice for our trans. I run Amsoil in everything else, but the Nissan ATF is specifically designed for our clutch packs. Anything else may not be 100% designed for the trans and "could" cause the packs to break down under stress. Use Amsoil ATF, or any other brand ATF at your own risk. Transmissions are not cheap!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I completely agree with you on only using OEM ATF. However be prepared for the Amsoil hordes to tear you a new one.

I'm not too worried. I've been around a while, and I actually wheel my rig pretty damn hard. If people choose to take my advice, that's awesome, and if they don't there's no sweat off my back.

·
on line
1,522 Posts
Sleeper is right. I used Royal Purple atf in mine and it ran fine for about a month and then the tran started to slip lucky for me I caught it early and did a complete flush and went back to Nissan matic s and trans is running fine. Take the advice or not and just use oem fluid in the transmission.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

21 - 36 of 36 Posts