Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
on line
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Xterra auto has 38K miles now and at my last oil change my local quick lube place suggested that I change the ATF fluid when I was in for my last oil change. I use AMS Oil ASLQT for my motor oil and I would like to stick with AMS for my transmission fluid. The search for fluids on the amsoil.com site gives two ATF fluids:

Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL) (ATLQT)
Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (ATFQT)

Any advice on which one I should use? And are there any other accessories that need to be replaced with the auto transmission fluid?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I use Amsoil in transfer case, front and rear diff. Mobil 1 Synthetic for motor oil.. But I use use Nissan Matic-S for the transmission. Even Amsoil recommends it on their website I believe. So, Amsoil everything else and I'd say Nissan Matic-S for actual transmission..

Just follow the PMF thread here and you'll be good to go. easy peasy..
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30213&highlight=PMF

On the other hand, AZ-Ted may use Amsoil ATF and i think he's had good results, so may wanna look up his comments..

·
on line
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody have a good source for Nissan Matic-S? $8 per quart seems like alot to me,

·
on line
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't find any Nissan fluids on the enissanparts.com website. a little help?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
My 2007 Xterra auto has 38K miles now and at my last oil change my local quick lube place suggested that I change the ATF fluid when I was in for my last oil change. I use AMS Oil ASLQT for my motor oil and I would like to stick with AMS for my transmission fluid. The search for fluids on the amsoil.com site gives two ATF fluids:

Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL) (ATLQT)
Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (ATFQT)

Any advice on which one I should use? And are there any other accessories that need to be replaced with the auto transmission fluid?
My advise is don't let them touch your car. Especially not the transmission.

·
on line
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not your typical "quick lube" place. I know everyone there especially the manager and they only charge me $10 to change fluids when I provide my own. Plus they let me watch while they do anything to my car if I want. I don't see a big problem letting them drain/fill my ATF and then drain/fill it again after I drive it for a few miles.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Well as long as you know the guys. I run the ATL stuff from Amsoil and like I said, have had zero problems so far. With that said, it's your ride and you have to decide what to do. If you are at all worried about it, use the Matic S. Had I found it as cheap as you did, I'd prob be running it as well just to air on the side of caution.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am researching what ATF to use for fluid flush and am wondering what the consensus now is. I have read that Matic J has been replaced by Matic S. The local dealer here though says that their information says to use Matic J.

In any event, my Xterra is no longer under the new vehicle warranty, and I am considering using either Genuine Nissan, or Amsoil. As mentioned by the original poster, on the Amsoil website, there are two different ATFs:

1. Fuel-Efficient, which says it is compatible with Nissan Matic S
2. Multi-Vehicle, which says it is compatible with Nissan Matic J

So, which one should I use if I go with Amsoil? I don't think any of the responses above answered this question.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
$8 dollars per qt is cheap jump on it
Posted via Mobile Device
word! i paid $13

Btw AMS recommends Nissan Matic for the trans on their site.

COPY PASTED FROM AMS
note red

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS:
Engine Oil
Grade 1......SM

Maximum Performance SAE 5W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ASLQT)

Performance Plus XL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLFQT)

Performance OE 5W30 Synthetic Motor Oil (OEFQT)
All TEMPS......5W-30
Manual Transmission,FS6R31A (6-SPD)......GL-4
All TEMPS......75W-85
Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4 (MTGQT)
Automatic Transmission,RE5R05A......SLF [1]
OE Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (OTLQT)
Differential, Rear C200......GL-5
All TEMPS......75W-90 [2]
SEVERE GEAR 75W-90 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVGQT)
Differential, Rear M226......GL-5
All TEMPS......75W-90 [2]
Differential, Front R180A......GL-5
All TEMPS......80W-90
75W-90 Synthetic Long Life Gear Lube (FGRQT)
SEVERE GEAR 75W-110 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVTQT)
SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (AGLQT)
Differential, Front R180A......GL-5
Above 32 F......90
75W-90 Synthetic Long Life Gear Lube (FGRQT)
SEVERE GEAR 75W-110 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVTQT)
SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (AGLQT)
Transfer Case,TX15B......SLF [3]
OE Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (OTFQT)
Fluids
Brake Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN) [4]
Clutch Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN) [4]
Power Steering Fluid......AF6
Power Steering Fluid......AF6
OE Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (OTLQT) [5]
[1] Use Genuine NISSAN Matic S transmission fluid. If NISSAN
Matic S transmission fluid is not available use NISSAN Matic
J fluid, or equivalent.

[2] Synthetic oil is required.
[3] Use Genuine Nissan Matic D or equivalent
[4] Hydraulic Brake Fluid, DOT 3
[5] DEXRON®-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah i saw that part. But does that really mean that Amsoil is saying that you shouldn't use their transmission fluid, or is that just them giving the manufacturer's notes. Because they specifically say that their ATF is compatible with Matic S for the Fuel Efficient, and Matic D, J, and K for the Multi Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
4,293 Posts
I am researching what ATF to use for fluid flush and am wondering what the consensus now is. . . .
The "consensus" on this board is genuine Nissan Matic S. However, it seems that you're not really looking for the general consensus, but for which Amsoil ATF to use instead of Matic S. That is an entirely different question.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Yeah i saw that part. But does that really mean that Amsoil is saying that you shouldn't use their transmission fluid, or is that just them giving the manufacturer's notes. Because they specifically say that their ATF is compatible with Matic S for the Fuel Efficient, and Matic D, J, and K for the Multi Vehicle
Do i think AMS is giving a handy to Nissan? no
I think they're being honest and that's why i use their stuff in my truck where ever i can, just not in the tranny.

Yeah, the Nissan juice is expensive and I'm sure your tranny isn't going to blow if you use AMS, but what's a few extra bucks when it comes to something like a transmission :dontknow:

Instead of going to a lube place and having some minimum wage halfwit do a sh!t job on it. Why not spend that extra money on the recommended fluid and make sure it's done right by doing it yourself
Link below.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30213

It's pretty easy. I did mine this way last summer

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah i was planning to do it myself using Rooks outline. I guess my question is 2-fold:

1. Is Amsoil "better" than Genuine Nissan (warranty is not an issue)
2. Should I be using Matic S or Matic J (either Genuine Nissan, or the respective compatible Amsoil equivalents)

I know that everyone is saying that Matic S has replaced Matic J or superseded it or whatever, but where exactly did that information come from? I haven't been able to find a Technical Service Bulletin or anything like that from Nissan indicating this officially. The reason I ask is because I have called two different dealers here in Canada and they have both told me that the correct ATF is Matic J.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts