Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
on line
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the subject kinda says it...budget only allows 3 skid plates right now, and a front bumper is not in the cards (yet...this will require considerably more negotiation with the boss). So 3 out of 5 skid plates, which 3 would you get?

1) Radiator
2) Engine/Diff
3) Tranny
4) Transfer Case
5) Gas tank

Input is appreciated....perhaps including your rational?

Cheers,

·
on line
463 Posts
Well, from my point of view;
Our entire undercarriage is pretty exposed
But, we need to make priorities,,,yes?
So, first off, your radiator is really exposed with plastic tanks and trans lines attached.
Secondly, there is that plastic gas tank and if you look, it's really exposed

After those, it's kind of a toss-up but you absolutely need fuel and coolant to go off-road

I ran full skids and I'm looking for diff protection, now.
Regards,
Jim B

·
on line
551 Posts
You get the radiator skid with the bumper, and with a stock bumper you're gonna take easy right? Watch the approach angle and such and you should be fine.
So, moving on back, the engine skid protects the front diff and oil pan. so I'd get that
Next one I'd get is the transfer case, as I believe it hangs low and there is no stock one there now.
Last one is a toss up, but I would probably go for the transmission skid, just because it falls in between the other two.
Also with the OR I have a gas tank skid (yeah not great, but better than nothing) which would hold me for a while. And I'd take it easy till then.

·
on line
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Magic Rat said:
.... with a stock bumper you're gonna take easy right? Watch the approach angle and such and you should be fine....
Part of my rational for these skids over the stock skids, is that even taking it easy I have put noticable damage to the existing radiator protection.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The stock gas tank skid was the first one that I ripped off (on a rock). The front radiator skid was well dented and the engine skid was scrapped up.

So, I agree. tank and rad skid and then pick the 3rd.

Personally, I would beg for the other two as I personally fell much better being completely covered.

·
on line
551 Posts
VanX said:
Part of my rational for these skids over the stock skids, is that even taking it easy I have put noticable damage to the existing radiator protection.
Well that sort of changes everything.
Some people have thought of doubling up on the stock skids until they could afford the real thing. Possible for the radiator skid?
If not then I would go with the radiator, TC and tranny.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
I wouldnt waste themoney on stock skids. Especcially if you plan on getting the good ones later on. It sucks, but i think this may be your best option..............Save your money, buy what your truck really needs for portection, and then take it offroad. I personally wouldnt risk damaging my X because iwas impatient.

·
on line
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
muzikman said:
...Personally, I would beg for the other two....
lol...you guys are underestimating the cost of these things...a $200USD gas tank skid costs me $235CND with the current exchange rate (1.1739)...then add in the wife exchange rate (2.000) and the skid plate costs me $470. Still cheaper than replacing the gas tank I know, but....

Thanks for the input, keep er coming.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Problem is, out of all the skids, besides the front, my gas tank skid is the most banged up. It's also plastic, so a hole is very possible.

·
on line
294 Posts
From a posting by Jim over at ClubFrontier.org...

If you were to split up the purchase of your skids, he recommends them purchased in this order based on the vulnerability of these parts and their chance of damage.

1) Engine / T-Case
2) Radiator / Gas Tank
3) Transmission

Hope this helps!

·
on line
641 Posts
VanX said:
muzikman said:
...Personally, I would beg for the other two....
lol...you guys are underestimating the cost of these things...
I don't know that it will make any difference, or in fact if they will even want to get involved, but give North Shore Off Road a call, ask for Glenn, and tell him what you want to order. I ordered my Shrockworks front bumper and sliders through NSOR, but that is the first time they have dealt with Shrockworks products. They arrived in North Van today, but I'm in Victoria, so they aren't even installed yet ;-)

·
on line
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I talked with NSOR on Saturday (not Glen however)...said they weren't importing them. Jim told my wife to talk with them as well. If they are just ordering them for me, there really isn't much benefit....unless Jim is giving them a discount, which they in turn are taking as a profit...which leaves me in the same place financially.

So what you're really saying is that I should pick up your sliders from NSOR tomorrow? :geek: Cause I drive through the north shore every day.

Thanks - we haven't met, but I like you already!

I suppose the question to you is how much are you paying NSOR compared with just getting them in from Jim yourself? In the case that Jim did give NSOR some sort of deal, don't feel obligated to reveal that to the board here.

·
on line
641 Posts
VanX said:
I talked with NSOR on Saturday (not Glen however)...said they weren't importing them. Jim told my wife to talk with them as well. If they are just ordering them for me, there really isn't much benefit....unless Jim is giving them a discount, which they in turn are taking as a profit...which leaves me in the same place financially.
When you are figuring out pricing, keep in mind shipping and brokerage fees.
Even if the price of the product is the same, it may be worth it to order locally(i.e NSOR), because they take care of getting the product across the border. It may be less of an issue for something "small" like sliders or some skid plates, but for the front bumper, it was going to cost money, and time, for me to deal directly with the shipping issues to get it across the border, whereas dealing with NSOR made that part of things easy :)

·
on line
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dpatton said:
When you are figuring out pricing, keep in mind shipping and brokerage fees. Even if the price of the product is the same, it may be worth it to order locally(i.e NSOR), because they take care of getting the product across the border.
True enough...and I while I have a number of places I could ship them to (commercial addresses) it may just be easier to have NSOR do it for me.

Thanks for your input Dave.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Take the aft four rather than that three. Later come back and get the bumper and front skid plate combo package to finish the package and protection.

If that was impossble I would take the three Epic228 picked.

·
on line
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nothing is impossible....I'm still in negotiation. Pushing for all 5 so I don't have to make a decision. I mean its an investment right?

·
on line
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
usmc xterra said:
Considering what you can ruin without the protection, not only an investment but a Bargain.

MC
Spoken like a man with an X...and I have the experience to back it up. Pre-X we went camping in her old car (2002 Cavalier), while out on a gravel "highway" picked up some loose rock from the tire and punctured the aluminum oil pan...2 days in a very small town later and a $565 oil pan we were able to leave. So she is aware of how easily damage can be done and just how expensive it can be to fix.

what I told her last night...(at about 2am)

me: "you said I could get three right? Well I'm picking the most expensive three...the next 2 (3) are relatively cheap, and I'll be getting them eventually anyways...so how about I just get all 6?"

her: "...we'll talk about it later" :scratch:

ohhh baby - I'm just about there! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts