Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
on line
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my Shrock sliders on order and I figure when I install those I should put rock washers on the stock skids. Where can i buy a set? And does anyone know how many I would need?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Since it seems Black Panther fell off the face of the earth, I am not sure who else sells rock washers. I would like to get a few myself as quite a few of my bolts are banged up.

Counting from the top of my head, but I think 8 washers would do it for a full set of Shrock skids.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, the ones from McMaster-carr might work, but they are finishing washers for screws, not sure how strong they will be.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Here I go with truck parts again! Ok, if you know someone or go to a local truck stop, TA's and Petro's work best but any large facility will work. Maybe a company or small truck stop.

Now, you know the washers that go on the top of stud style shocks? Or the washer that goes on the sides of the bottoms? You know the part that kind of squeezes the rubber a bit. Those can be had free and do the job! When they take off old shocks, away they go! Trash! They may have some on hand, they may save some for you next time they sell some shocks. Get a bunch, give em away.

I brought in a coffee can and put Used Shock Washers on the top, Told mechanics what to do and come back a few weeks and empty it out.

What is cool about used ones is that they are rusted just enough to make PR15 Really stick to em. Or any Rust Converter will work. Then spray the side that goes towards the plate, install and then spray side that is down. This will also kind of "Seal" the threads from water and corrosion and they will come off even that much easier.

Some types work better than others, but they are the right size and super heavy duty! And, free! MC

·
on line
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ones from fourtreks are $3 each, which is crazy. The finishing washer type I can buy at home depot, but I doubt would help. I live in NYC and I don't see the used truck shock washers being to easy to come by. So any other suggestions?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Send outback a PM and he should be able to accomidate you. I have heard that he is sort of still in business and the website is not up do to a server crash. I have some spares, but I am keeping them.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
dont you mean....

·
on line
2,883 Posts
Anybody ever try Button Head Socket Head Cap Screws?
Search that on www.mcmaster.com and see the choices available for a low profile and rounded bolt head.
In both metric and SAE. Not as many choices in zinc, and stainless don't have a grade rating..
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,442 Posts
They only have one size left, and its the larger of the two. My original solution was to get a regular flat washer if I needed to, but it turned out to work just fine. I also welded the washer onto the skid so that the rock washer would really prevent me from shearing off the bolt head.

Size isn't the issue, its how you use it.:cheers:

·
on line
1,442 Posts
FWIW I talked to the owner of fourtreks a month ago about getting the right sized rock washer and he said that since they made the initial batch a few years ago, the cost of steel and labor in the US has gone up to the point that it just isn't practical to order a new batch. They wouldn't be anywhere close to the $3/pair he's got them at now.

Hopefully, though, someone else can find a way to make them for cheaper..there are other ways to prevent bolts from getting sheared off, but they are not as pretty as these nice little washers.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts