Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta be blind, where is the dipstick to check the tranny fluid? I can`t seem to find it under the hood...PR...
 

·
on line
Joined
·
134 Posts
Its on the passenger side of the engine as you would expect. However its bolted in so look for a cap with a small bolt (10mm I think...).
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,217 Posts
Yup. It's sealed up so there's no way to check it. If you want anything done to it off to the stealership ya go.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
807 Posts
dan galusha said:
Yup. It's sealed up so there's no way to check it. If you want anything done to it off to the stealership ya go.
I do not believe it is sealed. There is a bolt holding it down, but I do believe that it is a dipstick, so you can check it, you just need to remove the bolt.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,484 Posts
Pretty much, don't go in there because you don't have the fluid for it anyways. I think that is why they put the bolt in it. No user belongs in there....until they come out with a compatible fluid. It's under warranty so don't mess with it. MC
 

·
on line
Joined
·
386 Posts
stevet47 said:
I do not believe it is sealed. There is a bolt holding it down, but I do believe that it is a dipstick, so you can check it, you just need to remove the bolt.
There is a dipstick attached and you can check the fluid level.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the deal, I`m just about to turn 30K, and i have never checked the damn fluid, I know bad me, so I was poking around and saw the tube with the black cap and hold down nut and just guessed it might be the dipstick, but said nah, cause the tube is very small in diam...
so what`s the deal: is that the dipstick, all`s I want to do is check it for level and color???
I understand that Nissan only has the fluid, even though I am a prefered customer of Amsiol products...

also I have read the threads on trans service, some say don`t touch it some say do it at 30K, so what is the verdict? Thanks...PR...
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Pale Rider said:
This is the deal, I`m just about to turn 30K, and i have never checked the damn fluid, I know bad me, so I was poking around and saw the tube with the black cap and hold down nut and just guessed it might be the dipstick, but said nah, cause the tube is very small in diam...
so what`s the deal: is that the dipstick, all`s I want to do is check it for level and color???
I understand that Nissan only has the fluid, even though I am a prefered customer of Amsiol products...

also I have read the threads on trans service, some say don`t touch it some say do it at 30K, so what is the verdict? Thanks...PR...
In no way do I intend to be flippant here but...what does your service manual say on the subject?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
05XOR said:
Pale Rider said:
This is the deal, I`m just about to turn 30K, and i have never checked the damn fluid, I know bad me, so I was poking around and saw the tube with the black cap and hold down nut and just guessed it might be the dipstick, but said nah, cause the tube is very small in diam...
so what`s the deal: is that the dipstick, all`s I want to do is check it for level and color???
I understand that Nissan only has the fluid, even though I am a prefered customer of Amsiol products...

also I have read the threads on trans service, some say don`t touch it some say do it at 30K, so what is the verdict? Thanks...PR...
In no way do I intend to be flippant here but...what does your service manual say on the subject?
The manual does not show where the dipstick is...PR...
 

·
on line
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
usmc xterra said:
Using my 46 year old memory, I did read it front to back. It said something like don't dick with it. Go look. It's a new age. Go with it. MC
I`m not questioning that, but it does state in the manual to CHECK the fluid level, so if the stick is in that tube where you have to unbolt it then I`ll do that!...PR...
 

·
on line
Joined
·
735 Posts
a few years ago nissan was not recommending any fluid service for the life of their automatics..at least for the cars.

I do not know about the newest trucks, I have the manual so I skipped the AT info.

people who suddenly change their fluid at 100k miles sometimes excellerate the demise of their automatic by introducing a lot of fresh detergents in the new oil which sometimes helps the clutches to break apart when the goo is disolved and held in suspension by the fresh oil.

from what I observed as an import mechanic in the 90's, sometimes maintenance had nothing to do with failure..certain models all failed at about the same time for any given assembly. maybe towing too much would be the other way to kill an AT, of course, but I will not change at fluid on any cars i own even if the manual says to. of course i won't buy AT's if there is a model in MT. but that's just me..
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top