Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Where is My Engine Oil Going? Please Help! See Pics

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Brunnie 
#1 · (Edited)
2006 Off Road 187,500 miles. Suddenly my oil is disappearing,... sort of.
I'm losing about 3 quarts every 10 days. I check more often but that's the easiest measurement.
Background:
Oil Pressure Sending Unit/Switch Gauge went bad in April. Replaced it and for the first time it is actually fluctuating with RPM when at standstill. Don't remember it ever doing this before but love the fact that it is actually a live guage and not a dummy.
After Gauge repaired I also changed:
CAM Position Sensors CPS0005 & CPS0008
PCV Valve PCV2390

I say oil is disappearing because the engine bay shows absolutely no sign of an oil leak. Nothing on garage floor, park it in same spot 7 days a week and nothing.

That being said, I am sputtering carbon/oil out of my tail pipe. Every time I start her up i get a light "dusting/patch" of carbon or oil residue (see pics):

Please help. What is causing this and what's the fix.

I should say that she has never run better. I drive about 55-70 miles per day at 75-80mph and she drives smooth as can be. I am amazed at 187,000+ miles she runs like a dream. Starts right up, idles beautifully, cruises along like shes brand new. No lights on, oil gauge works flawlessly.

I would appreciate any help here. I have been a long time member and have fixed hundreds of issues with the resources provided by our members and I am grateful that I never, until now, have needed to ask a direct question. It's always said that "Search" is your friend and it has served me well. This one is too specific and I would appreciate the community's input to help me solve this. I love my rig and have no intention of letting her go.

I just keep topping the oil off but I need to get this fixed.

Thank you in advance for your help and thanks to the many, many contributors here that have helped me keep her running as well as she does, without this forum I most likely would have lost her long ago!

All The Best & Cheers!!

This is many many startups worth of discharge. I power wash my driveway every weekend to keep it clean and get rid of this. This is about 5 days of start up discharge from the tail pipe. It's not "wet" but dry almost flakey

In addition I changed spark plugs, Ignition Coil, O2 Sensor
Not related but thought I'd also mention Master Cylinder replaced as well.
Water Fluid Road surface Asphalt Grey

See less See more
#5 ·
I would think I'd see some sign in the engine bay. But it is pristine. I've always kept it clean. Degreased and tight. Not a drop of oil showing up anywhere. I appreciate the insight, I'll keep an eye on it.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

#3 ·
I had the same thing happen with changing my oil pressure sensor and it starting to work like it always should have.

is the engine smoking? I would think that if that much is coming out of the tail pipe it would be burning some of it before it got that far..

#4 ·
I had the same thing happen with changing my oil pressure sensor and it starting to work like it always should have.

is the engine smoking? I would think that if that much is coming out of the tail pipe it would be burning some of it before it got that far..
Thanks for the replies. Nothing. No smoke, no hesitation. Nothing. I even added ATP 205 Seal Softener thinking it may be a seal. No changes

#6 ·
its either leaking or burning, its not just disappearing.

do you drive at night often or just during the day? at night taking off from a stop you may be able to see smoke in the lights of the car beihnd you that you couldnt see during the daytime.

have you checked the lower sides of the egine block? could the valve covers be leaking oil onto the exhaust gaskets preventing it from dripping? though you would smell it and possibly see smoke.

i just went back and re-read/ looked at pics, the oil is obvioulsy coming out of the engine through the cylinders in to the exhaust. otherwise it wouldnt be spattering out like that. also im surprised the cats are ruined as well. i cant believe that much oil is coming out the exhaust and its not smoking one bit.

#9 ·
Thanks guys! I appreciate the insight. Sounds like piston rings could be the issue with the mileage I'm sitting at.
I'm going to guess this will be big money as this is not something I'll be doing on my own?
I'll bet your cats are shot too.
Mileage isn't the culprit, Mine has almost as many as yours and (knock on wood) is still running perfectly. In your case, you need to have a compression test run so you will know what condition the engine is in. Next, I'd look at the cats and see if they are dying or have died. IMHO... these two things will tell you more about what to do next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.