Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pretty simple, I already have 2 4" round led lights mounted in the bumper mouth, looking to add 2 more yellow fog style lights, also 4" round multi led type.

Im struggling to decide how/ where to mount them.

the ones i have on there now are in the lower placement, which is ideally here the fogs would be, so im thinking about swapping those out, and then taking the white lights and putting them higher up, on each side of the "bucktooth" grill.

I have considered adding a "bull or push bar to allow for addtl mounting points, but.. idk, not may favorite look and it does effect approach angle.

One day i hope to be able to acquire a tube "prerunner style bumper" but until then im looking for ideas.

i love the look of this:
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

here is what i've currently got going on, yes its just bolted ito the plastic bumper, but its been solid for like a year or 2.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Land vehicle Wheel

So, i have to keep the front license plate so cant just add the other 2 lights in the lower mouth.

I have been thinking about how to use the oem fog light locations, but not confident on how that would look/ work.

The new lights are identical in size/ shape to the existing ones, just yellow instead of white light.

What say you?

PS im thinking of mounting the 2nd 2 lights similar to how Ripper did in this thread:

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im not crazy about the idea of drilling into the upper silver portion of the grill, but i guess its not really that big of a deal...

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not fabricobble something to put them into the stock fog light location?

I have been thinking about how to do that, im pretty good with wood but other than that dont really have the mean to "Fabricate" anything.

any suggestions? the inside of the bumper behind the fog light holes doesnt really have much to mount anything to.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have been thinking about how to do that, im pretty good with wood but other than that dont really have the mean to "Fabricate" anything.

any suggestions? the inside of the bumper behind the fog light holes doesnt really have much to mount anything to.
If I were wanting to put something there honestly I'd just go with OEM fog lights or Diode Dynamics SS3. That'd be by far the easiest solution.

But, if I already had the lights, I'd look at how they mount and then come up with something using some flat bar stock bent into shape, or brackets from the hardware store, or something like this pipe hanging strap and some JB Weld or other epoxy.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Hanging strap and JB seems a little sketch.
But maybe some 90deg L brackets? Or a bar bolted to extend off the end of the factory crash bar.
Its been awhile since I looked back there to know exactly what you have to work with.
I know oem mounting style, especially combined 'nice' LEDs are definitely more expensive than many lights... but it WOULD save you the headache of rigging up mounting. Some plate bumpers can use the OEM style mount, but i doubt the tube ones can.

I've always like lights hidden behind the grill. There's a TON of open space back there to work with. You could easily bolt a 'shelf' of 90s or flat bar off the core support.
Being that the grill is just a handful of plastic clips, I personally wouldn't mount straight to it... but I guess it would work.

I'm assumed you can't squeeze 2 lights on each side of the plate? Even with some trimming of the bulky plate 'bracket'?

Little side note: I saw an article recently that talked about how yellow LED fogs are inferior to incandescent yellow fogs. Has to do with the LEDs being a combination of RGB light, which is filtered via coating on chip and lense, vs incandescent being PURELY yellow. Apparently its something that you don't really see in the color, but can be seen in how they cut through fog and snow flurry.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But maybe some 90deg L brackets? Or a bar bolted to extend off the end of the factory crash bar.
Its been awhile since I looked back there to know exactly what you have to work with.
I know oem mounting style, especially combined 'nice' LEDs are definitely more expensive than many lights... but it WOULD save you the headache of rigging up mounting. Some plate bumpers can use the OEM style mount, but i doubt the tube ones can.

I've always like lights hidden behind the grill. There's a TON of open space back there to work with. You could easily bolt a 'shelf' of 90s or flat bar off the core support.
Being that the grill is just a handful of plastic clips, I personally wouldn't mount straight to it... but I guess it would work.

I'm assumed you can't squeeze 2 lights on each side of the plate? Even with some trimming of the bulky plate 'bracket'?

Little side note: I saw an article recently that talked about how yellow LED fogs are inferior to incandescent yellow fogs. Has to do with the LEDs being a combination of RGB light, which is filtered via coating on chip and lense, vs incandescent being PURELY yellow. Apparently its something that you don't really see in the color, but can be seen in how they cut through fog and snow flurry.

thanks! lots of good stuff there!

im intrigued by the "behind the grill" suggestion. thats something ill explore as it would keep it cleaner, but I wonder how much it would block light dispersion. I mostly use these off road, at night while camping, or if its really snowing while driving in the day.

also i may flash a holes driving with high beams on occasionally...

interesting bit on the light color led vs incad, makes sense i suppose. honestly its not that important, half of the reason im doing this is because i think they look cool, and if it helps with visibility some as well, cool. im sure the yellow is going to be better than the white at least.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts

Probably depends on how you do it. I repaired my broken OEM fog light mount with some metal strap and epoxy (shown below in mid repair). I used some quick curing epoxy, not JB, but anyway I'd bet it's stronger now than it ever was before. A rigid metal surface would of course be a better mounting point.

I've been considering a fog light upgrade so I'm interested in that article about yellow fogs... do you have a link?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I use 'article' loosely, but it sounds like its taken from somewhere else....

Also a prime example of why the Diode Dynamics SS3 SAE fog light in Yellow is a better option for on road winter driving conditions over the Baja Designs squadron. The Diode Dynamics is a yellow LED along with a yellow lens, has more true yellow light than the Baja Designs squadron which is a white light going through a amber lens.
Still not as good as a true yellow HID or Halogen bulb bet better.
Ever wonder why some people have yellow fog lights on their vehicle? Well, they're not just for looks - they actually have a purpose.....sometimes.
First, understand this: color is produced by different wavelengths and frequencies of light.
Second, understand this: when light hits an object, some of it will be absorbed while the rest will then bounce off in a different direction (this is what gives an object the color that we see). When light bounces off an object, it's called 'scatter'.
The intensity of scattered light is influenced by particle size and light wavelength. Shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies scatter more on things like snow, water droplets in fog, and dust than longer wavelengths and lower frequencies. This is due to the waviness of the 'line' of light and its interaction with these particles. The higher the frequency of the light, the more frequently it interacts with a particle and the more intense it appears to our eyes.
Longer wavelengths, on the other hand, have a lower frequency and are more straight, which means they have a smaller likelihood of colliding with a particle. The lower the wavelength, the less the light scatters because it interacts less frequently with the particle.
What this all means is that "cool" colors such as blue and purple scatter more because they have much higher frequencies than "warm" colors such as red and yellow.
𝗕𝘂𝘁 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘆𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗼𝘄 𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗰𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗲𝗾𝘂𝗮𝗹!
This is crucially important to understand. There is a big difference between pure yellow light and white light going through a yellow filter.
Pure yellow light is exactly what it sounds like - pure yellow light. Only that wavelength of light is produced. There is no blue or red or any other color, there is only yellow. Halogen and HID lights produce pure 'single wavelength' light.
Filtered white light, however, is not purely yellow after it passes through a filter. While it may appear yellow because yellow becomes the dominant light frequency, there are still other wavelengths such as blue and purple getting through the filter. After all, white light contains all color frequencies. If a filter were strong enough to completely block all other light frequencies, the remaining yellow light would hardly be visible.
Because other light frequencies are still getting through the filter, you're still going to have blue and purple light scattering off of the particles in the air which will cause some glare to your eyes. It won't be nearly as intense as pure white light, but it won't be nearly as good as pure yellow light either.
This is the caveat to LED's - LED's cannot produce pure yellow light. They can only produce a yellow color through RGB combinations or a phosphor coating. Either way, other colors are present in the same way as when white light is passed through a yellow filter. So while LED's are fine for everyday use as headlights, they are not the best option for fog lights in poor driving visibility conditions.
Hopefully this 'shed some light' on why yellow fog lights exist and why (some) of them are far superior to white fog lights!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Im gonna have to look for a better picture, but you can kinda see two horns sticking out that hold the lights. It's a piece of flat stock with two horns welded to it. it was $20 at a metal fab shop. The flat stock is bolted to the internal support, I think it's for the rad maybe:

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

It worked ok for a couple of years.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think this might be my favorite so far:

Tire Vehicle Wheel Watch Automotive lighting

I think i should probably move the old white ones up to the higher spot and put the yellow fogs down lower right?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Yup, that'll get the better performance for both. Yellow won't glare back as much, white will be higher to project down road further and give you less shadows from objects in the road.

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
progress so far, its taking a while as i only work on it in bits.

just need to get it all tightened up and connect the wiring at this point!

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im gonna have to look for a better picture, but you can kinda see two horns sticking out that hold the lights. It's a piece of flat stock with two horns welded to it. it was $20 at a metal fab shop. The flat stock is bolted to the internal support, I think it's for the rad maybe:

View attachment 140545

It worked ok for a couple of years.

I think I have similar lights to this rig, and was looking to mount them but couldn't find a spot.
I was concerned that if they were the outward most part they'd get smashed in a parking lot or something.
I ended up buying a bull bar to mount them, and it works great....but to be honest I don't love the bull bar. I think it ruins the front end of the car...

I do like the position of the OP's lower lights (and upper for that matter), and am seriously considering getting rid of the bar in favour of that set up, but would likely need to change the lights as well and go to a lesser (?) set of LEDs...or at very least not as deep. Maybe not as bright

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got it all buttoned up and finished, though i need to get another wiring harness/ switch so that they can operate independently.

At first I just drilled two holes through the silver part of the grill, there is another layer on the back side and right there is some sort of clip that holds the 2 layers together, I dont think this matters as the bolt is holding it together way better than any little plastic clip. I ended up cutting (rather crudely but it works) some leftover steel garage door motor mounting brackets into about 1" sections, hammered them to not flat but only a shallow angle to match the contour of the back side of the grill, and mounted the bolt through that for added rigidity.

Also i painted the brackets flat black to help keep them from rusting, plus it just looks nicer that way.

Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper Grey

Tire Car Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts