Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about this. I put all my tools, supplys, odds and ends, compressor, extra cloths, into a large gear box in the back of the X. When wheeling i assume you wuld want it towards the middle of the inside of the X. Not over the back axel. If your putting it over the backs of the folded down rear seats. How would you strap it down?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: I had the same quandry, before I got the trailer, but still, I carry all my chains, jumper cables, 30k lb jerkstrap & stuff-in the cargo recess in back/bottom of the X--

--All rain gear,heavy duty coats,. mosquito nets(head) and topo maps , in the Raingler nets on the rearward overhead--

--Hi-lift jack under the rear seats, fire extinguishers in the front doors and full Sierra trail maps and Google Sierra maps in the pass door--

--All the big stuff, now in my trailer--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the major chains/recovery gear onthe floor in the front passanger side of the X. I like easy accexx for that stuff. Ill try the child restraint spots to tie it down tomorrow.

I love the box i got though. Its called a Tough Box, holds up to 400lbs. Pretty durable, not too big, but just big enough. I got it at Lowes for like 17 bucks.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
mcampana said:
It was a black box with a yellow lid. In with all the other plastic storage bins. I also got a cheap azz floor mat to put in the back fo the X. Keeps stuff from sliding .
The box sounds cool. And I also sometimes use a mat.

Here's another thought. I sometimes pull the back seats out and leave them in the garage (soooo easy, thanks Nissan) but leave the seatbacks up. Then I level out the floor with some odds and ends and put heavy gear where the seats were. I bottom less on the hard whoops and stuff stays put because it's squeezed in. Then I put lighter stuff tight in the cargo area.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I use a foot locker style box from Walmart. I have it strapped down using the utility rails. I can access it quick and easy. It stays in the X at all times (unless I am wheeling the Jeep, then it gets moved over). It weighs about 100lbs.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
well, i went to Lowes today to get myself a bin. I saw the one you were talking about Mark. But then I saw this one...
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=91573-000000230-3725&lpage=none
So, I picked it up and it's almost like it was made for our trucks. It secures with bungees very well to the child restraint things on the back of our seats and the top of it is almost directly inline with the top of the back seat. It's bigger than what i probably need in terms of recovery gear, but with all the camping I do, it will certainly be handy.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Might I suggest ratchet straps instead of bungee cords? The last thing you want is that thing flying around should you have a problem on the trail, or a wreck on the highway.

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PRO TUFF BIN?! Where the hell was that? My store must have had it somewhere else, i didnt see it. Im going back now. Ill buy it if i see it. I like how its lockable. And iw as going to go with the ratchet strap.

Jason, whats your opinion on where to locate the box? Over the rear axel? Or mroe towards the middle?

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Nice find creek. That is exactly what I have been looking for. Any pics of it in your rig?

·
on line
3,272 Posts
i remember syndicate having some badass storage containers. like the real deal expensive bullet proof stuff. really cool looking. i will have to try and find the thread. he included pics.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
mcampana said:
PRO TUFF BIN?! Where the hell was that? My store must have had it somewhere else, i didnt see it. Im going back now. Ill buy it if i see it. I like how its lockable. And iw as going to go with the ratchet strap.

Jason, whats your opinion on where to locate the box? Over the rear axel? Or mroe towards the middle?
Mount it where it's easy to get to and easy to secure. Remember, the thing will weigh upwards of 80-100lbs when full of recovery gear, tools and parts. The last thing you want is that box flying around if you should roll.

I have my case in the back, against the back seat. I have a strap on each side holding it down via the utility track. I can get to it from the back or from the back seat if I have to.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
the thing will weigh upwards of 80-100lbs when full of recovery gear, tools and parts.
I think I remember something about a 30# child, at a dead stop from 40 mph, carries over 600 lb/ft of force. It's important to always secure what's inside before hitting the trail.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts