Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
on line
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas on mounting options... I welcome all input. Thanks!!

OpX

·
on line
315 Posts
Mine is on the rearview mirror, and the cable is hidden...above the headliner and down through the A-pillar...it barely reaches! But it's a perfect spot.

·
on line
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all,

armandov99 said:
Mine is on the rearview mirror, and the cable is hidden...above the headliner and down through the A-pillar...it barely reaches! But it's a perfect spot.
Arm, how did you secure the gauge to the mirror?

·
on line
315 Posts
I just used the velcro that came with it...mounted it right to the top of the mirror. It works great, I had my doubts as to whether it would hold, but it doesn't move at all - it's solid. Granted, I'm short, so my mirror is aimed sorta low...if you're taller you might have a little more trouble mounting it up there without it hitting the top plastic trim going over the wires. Mine is touching, but it fits perfect for me. You might have to mount the ScanGauge a little more toward the front of the mirror if you're tall and your mirror is aimed higher than mine.

The only problem is that when my sub hits hard, the buttons on the ScanGauge rattle pretty loud. But, no big deal!

·
on line
82 Posts
armandov99 said:
That is a really good spot to put it. What do I have to do to take apart the pilar and the header? You said it was a strech but the "stock" cord for the ScanGauge2 fits all that way?

·
on line
315 Posts
Yep...you just need a screwdriver. You take off the "oh s**t" handle on the driver's pillar, then you can loosen (or completely remove, like I did) the trim piece. Just pull up and out and it pops off. Then run the cable from the OBDII connector STRAIGHT up to the pillar (not toward the door at all, just straight up to the opening in the A-pillar, near the instrument cluster and all that) and up the pillar with the rest of the wiring already there, then just use your finger to run it above the headliner next to the windshield. Then just pop the A-Pillar trim in place and reinstall the handle. I'll post a pic of the final outcome here in a couple hours.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well I love the location on the mirror! You can plug that thing in through the back and eliminate the cord on the side. (If it is a 2 like I think) But I swear I only had about 3 feet of cord with mine! I wonder if I can get a longer cord! I like that spot because like my spot, easy to see but crooks won't happen to see it by mistake. I wish I could move mine now. MC

·
on line
463 Posts
Where do you mount your scan gauge

Okay, I'm going to indulge my ignorance,,,,,,,,,,
What does a scan gauge do ?
By the replies I see that many of you have them.
While I do lead a sheltered life, this isn't my first 4x4 and this is a new term to me ?

What Up ?

JimB

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well it does a lot, but nothing I really needed it to yet. But it is a very useful tool. It told me how much gas I had left on the trail when the gauge was saying you are out. I guess I needed that. But it would not re set or detect the air bag on light. Read all about it here: http://www.scangauge.com/products/
Easy intall, very good co. Can use on other cars pretty quick. MC

·
on line
463 Posts
Where do you mount your scan gauge

Okay, Thank you for catching me up to the " times".

After reading about the unit, I realized a buddy of mine has one in his pick-up he takes to the drag strip.

Too Much information for me,,,,,,,,,but, now that I know what it is???
Who Knows ?

JimB

·
on line
315 Posts
Ey, didn't even think about using the plug in the back...duh...thanks MC, I moved it and the cable is barely visible next to the mirror wiring. Mine came with a 6' cord....are you SURE yours is only 3'???

·
on line
79 Posts
is online and those 3 places on hte website the only places you can buy it or are there other places to get it, and how easy is it to install?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
pavementSucks said:
is online and those 3 places on hte website the only places you can buy it or are there other places to get it, and how easy is it to install?
I got my first gen Scan Gauge about a year ago straight from the mfg. As far as installing it, plug the wire into the OBD-II port and you are done. If you have a GPS you can adjust the speed to be accurate.

·
on line
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
usmc xterra said:
Well I love the location on the mirror! You can plug that thing in through the back and eliminate the cord on the side. (If it is a 2 like I think) But I swear I only had about 3 feet of cord with mine! I wonder if I can get a longer cord! I like that spot because like my spot, easy to see but crooks won't happen to see it by mistake. I wish I could move mine now. MC
I like the mirror location as well.... The cord that came to mine is somewhere between 5-6 feet. I didn't measure it, but it's pretty long. I'll try installing on the mirror when I install the mirror as well!

·
on line
551 Posts
This sounds like one of those gadgets that you really really need but you never knew you needed. Gotta get me one. I can hear the wife now
What another gadget??? And how much will this one cost??? Do you really need it???
And then I'll just buy it . It is Christmas right? :cheers:

·
Read Only
656 Posts
usmc xterra said:
That connection on the ScanGuage looks like RJ45. If that is true, then some CAT5 cable and a pass thru connector (double female) should lengthen it to any length you want.

·
on line
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really liked the over the mirror placement but that did not work for me because the dealer installed the Sirius antenna "wedge" right above the mirror. So, I mounted it in the storage tray in front of the shifter. The front edge angles up and if you put the cable into the back connecter and bend it, it make a nice stable backing to velcro the unit to the inside front of the tray. Will post pictures once I have a working camera again!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts