Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where did you guys mount your brake controllers? I tried right under the wheel and i bang my knee getting in and out and while driving. Is there a good spot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
This is what I installed in my newest tow rig. So far I am happy with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
E01235F4-7F82-4028-B5F5-8465D37F2E20.jpeg

On the side of the centre console, right against the seat, facing up. Works well - wires can be tucked under console all the way to under the dash where it plugs in, move your knee slightly to see the display, manual override/test easily accessed without looking.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
View attachment 129910

On the side of the centre console, right against the seat, facing up. Works well - wires can be tucked under console all the way to under the dash where it plugs in, move your knee slightly to see the display, manual override/test easily accessed without looking.
Double check the instructions, most brake controllers won't work in that position.

Typically the best place I have found is in front of the shifter above the front console cubby to the bottom of the dash. It can be a little tricky to install. But if you remove the front console trim (that has the front cubby) you have enough room to put screws up into the dash. And if you ever remove it that area is hidden enough you won't notice the screw holes.

Reactions: eighty

·
Registered
56 Posts
Where did you guys mount your brake controllers? I tried right under the wheel and i bang my knee getting in and out and while driving. Is there a good spot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine (Tekonsha P3) is cut into the panel in front of the driver's left knee. It's recessed as much as possible without preventing access to the buttons, and maintaining view to the readout. . It works great for me at 6'2" with the seat all the way set back, but my 5'9" wife sometimes hits her knee on it with the seat pulled forward. Learning is hard? It's mounted to the steel brackets under the dash. There's not a lot of other 'discrete' locations available IMO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Double check the instructions, most brake controllers won't work in that position.

Typically the best place I have found is in front of the shifter above the front console cubby to the bottom of the dash. It can be a little tricky to install. But if you remove the front console trim (that has the front cubby) you have enough room to put screws up into the dash. And if you ever remove it that area is hidden enough you won't notice the screw holes.
It's a Reese Brakeman IV, which is an electronic/timed controller, not a surge controller which would have to be level and oriented properly. The Brakeman IV does not need to be level, and instructions say it can be mounted vertically. https://www.reeseprod.com/support/installation/N83504.pdf

If I put it down above the console cubby, I feel like I would not be able to reach it easily when/if I needed too.

But absolutely, the OP should check the instructions that came with their specific controller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts