Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a boneheaded question, I'm totally new at this.

If I replace my front door speakers and the tweeters, with say - the Boston Acoustics SX60 set... - do I have to use the crossover that comes with the replacement speakers? Doesn't there have to be a crossover somewhere else within the existing wiring harness running to the factory tweeters?

I'm keeping the factory head unit for the moment - but have a chance to get a new set of the BA SX60's really really cheap.

Just trying to keep this as simple as possible...

·
on line
500 Posts
The stock stereo (not Rockford Fosgate) does not have crossovers, because the speakers are not component. Crossovers are unique to the speakers, thus don't switch them.

Patrick

·
on line
500 Posts
On the stock speakers there's a resistor on the lead to the tweeter.

A resistor does not a crossover make!

·
on line
108 Posts
resistor, crossover...close enough. either way, put new tweeters in the dash and put the crossovers somewhere in the door, or there is probably room under the glove boxes, or under the center console monstrosity.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
I wouldn't put the crossover in the door. Creates the hassle of having to wire a tweeter lead back into the car through the door boot which is a PITA- assuming the crossover has one input and 2 outputs. There is plenty of space behind and under the stereo, behind kick panel, under dash, etc. Then you can locate the door speaker wires and connect to the crossover. And wiring a new tweeter lead if necessary is much easier with the crossover inside the car. Much less hassle and faster to get up and running.

·
on line
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions! This is what makes these forums a great resource.

Okay, I pulled the manual for the BA speakers off their website. The crossover included shows one wire coming out of the amp into the crossover and then separate leads going to the tweeter and the bass/mid unit.

Is the factory "crossover" for the tweeters attached to the tweeter itself or is it inline in the harness somewhere?

This looks like it's getting more complicated than I'm comfortable with - I was hoping to just pull the door panels, pull the tweeter on the the dash and replace them without having to take the whole dash apart... going to have to think about it a bit - the stock speakers are just terrible though.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
when i replaced my stock speaker i put in polk audio 6x9s in the front doors...they have built in tweeters with external crossovers. These way overpower the stock tweeters so i can't even hear them, and they are powerful enough that you can't tell the tweeters are by your feet. It was a very easy install since there was no addition wires to run and i placed the crossover in the door panel right behind the speaker.

you may what to look into some speakers with this feature, it would be much easier then replacing the ones on the dash.

edit, here's the link to the speaker i installed to give you a better idea of what i'm talking about.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EigIz7Z9vev/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=52300&I=107MMC690

and depite what the website said, they were a direct fit!

·
on line
339 Posts
Robb_D said:
It should be a resistor. It limits the input to the speaker. A capacitor is more like a battery.
they're capacitors....:drunken:

capacitors naturally filter out low frequencies....and inductors naturally filter out high frequencies. the main guts of a passive crossover consists of capacitors and inductors. you also see resistors in crossovers but their job is to limit thermal damage....not limit mechanical damage like the capacitor does.

·
on line
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
willgr1 said:
when i replaced my stock speaker i put in polk audio 6x9s in the front doors...they have built in tweeters with external crossovers. These way overpower the stock tweeters so i can't even hear them, and they are powerful enough that you can't tell the tweeters are by your feet. It was a very easy install since there was no addition wires to run and i placed the crossover in the door panel right behind the speaker.

you may what to look into some speakers with this feature, it would be much easier then replacing the ones on the dash.

edit, here's the link to the speaker i installed to give you a better idea of what i'm talking about.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EigIz7Z9vev/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=52300&I=107MMC690

and depite what the website said, they were a direct fit!
Interesting... that may be a perfect solution. What did you put in the rears and are you using the factory head unit? My main complaints about the stock speakers are boomy bass and lack of decent clear highs.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
alpine headunit.....some people say the quality has gone down from alpine over the years, but i've always liked their products, my last HU from them lasted 6 years and was still going as good as day 1

alpine 6 1/2" in the rear, BUT there was absolutely no highs coming from the rear so i installed some JL audio tweeters in the rear doors (they have an inline filter so they were able to wire right in line with the rear speakers.

also 2 10" JL subs powered by a kenwood 600 watt amp

all in all i have no complains about this system i would recommend it to anyone, even without the subs, the polks sound awesome i almost didn't put my subs back in!

·
on line
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
... so am I wasting my time just replacing the speakers and not the stock head unit? I really can't afford to do anything but the speakers at the moment - looks like for $250 (pretty much my budget at the moment...) I can replace the fronts and rears with some Polk MMC690's and MMC 525's.

That's my current plan - MMC690's in the front with the stock tweeters untouched, and MMC525's in the rear.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
an aftermarket HU is not absolutely necessary, new speakers will sound much better then the stock speakers. you will not be able to use the aftermarket speakers to their full capacity and they will not sound AS nice as they would with an aftermarket HU, but they will still be a good improvement.

i say get the speakers and when you get more cash by a HU later, or an amplifer to better power the speakers.

·
on line
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well..... it's a done deal. I'll report back here as to what my results are and how the installation goes!

·
on line
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MachineHead said:
Better sharpen up your fabrication skills, new tweeters require custom mounts.
ummmmm - no offense, but did you actually read the whole post?

The point of using the Polk MMC690's is that you just leave the stock tweeters alone. The MMC690's are a direct fit for the front doors and I'll put the MMC525's in the rear with the supplied adapter from Crutchfield.

I got the 690's off E-Bay for about half of what Crutchfield wanted. The 525's were about a wash E-Bay -vs- Crutchfield once I added shipping and the adapter plate Crutchfield supplied free. Ended up at about $240 total and within my budget.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts