Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Pro4-x. 50,700 miles. Wondering if I should consider the switch to synthetic oil at my next oil change? Pros/Cons? Suggestions? Thanks.
Also, should I consider any fuel or oil additives at this stage of my X's life?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think everyone agrees sooner the better. BUT I bought my X used with 71k miles and only recently switched to synthetic oil at 98k. Did the oil change at the regular interval and looked brand new. Will wait til 6k for next oil change. I run Mobil 1 Synthetic High Mileage (same price as Mobil 1 Synthetic).

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use Amsoil signature series synthetic and love it. I change my oil at 10-15k and the oil still looks and smells almost new... I could probably push it to the full 25k change interval recommended on the bottle if I wanted.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I bet you could find 1,000 articles about running syn vs. conventional oil on the net... Depending on how often you change the oil, either will work just fine.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
No expert, but I contemplated the switch and decided against it. There doesn't seem to be a right or wrong answer, however what I did find is the viscosity of the synthetics (at least the common ones you would find at any parts store) were better at cold temperatures but no better or worse at high temperatures. If you live in the north this might be good, but I don't so really cold starts are not an issue.

The other thing is that beyond cold starts, the only benefit to synthetic is life of the oil. However life of the oil filter generally is under 6K miles anyway - except maybe the Bosch filter which claims to be better than 6K miles, but that seemed to be a debate as well. Also, I lilke changing my oil every 3K miles or so. Its easy, and cheap insurance, and I get to see whats coming out of the engine.

So, what I decided is that it was no benefit for me, and just money I didn't need to spend. No expert, just the data I found from a lot of research. Whether that data from others is accurate ???

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
You'll get mostly opinion on this topic. All I can suggest for certain is that you study the topic best you can and make these decisions based on what you feel is the most reliable information.

So what follows is opinion on my part, and nothing more.

I think there is no better or worse time to change to synthetic, because synthetic is oil just like regular oil, both do the job, they can mix together just fine, and you can switch between the two at will. The only benefit to using synthetic earlier, is you take advantage of certain benefits earlier.

I run Mobil 1 extended performance, and extended performance filter, and do a oil analysis every change as I extend the interval. I'm on a planned 8k interval now.

Synthetic's benefits are that it protects sooner on engine start because it's much more penetrating than conventional oil, it creeps and clings to everything, so your engine gets lubrication much sooner. It also remains "thinner" at cooler temperatures, meaning it does it's job better while your truck warms up.

On additives, personally I would avoid those on a modern engine. Fuel and oil both contain additive packages already, and you risk taking those additives out of reasonable levels adding other stuff. If you run ethanol laced fuel like most of us are forced to, you have a clean fuel system, as much as I hate the junk, it cleans stuff. I run pure gasoline whenever I can find it though.

·
on line
77 Posts
Not true on the oil filters, if you go with something like I use Amsoil Signature that is rated for 1 year of 25k miles you buy their oil filter that is made to last that long. I have to say that I just cannot let it go that long, I do it every 9 months on the X which is a good long time.

It is the best, if you plan to keep and drive you truck a long time there is no reason to no use the best. Plus if you use the higher quality synths like Amsoil, Redline or Mobile High Mileage you can do 6 or 9 months easy without a change.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I will agree with others in that there is not really a bad time to switch to full synthetic, and at 50k miles you definitly have no concerns.

I never use any fuel or oil additives. I dont think there is any reason to do so if you regularly maintain your vehicle. However, I try to stick to main brands for fuel and oil, they have the money to devote into keeping there product the best, IMO.

I think its clear that full synthetic performs better vs standard oil and unless you are changing your oil once a month, the extra you spend on a better product for something as expensive and important as your vehicle is well worth it, again IMO.

Also, the viscosity ranges listed do not mean your oil exactly performs within those specs. Its just a range in which they operate. However, synthetic oil is able to operate much more closely to its listed ranges.

To top it off, and what helped my decision, is that many OEMs use full synthetic oil when they are performing their durability testing on there develpoment motors. For those of you who dont know, these test push the engines to extremes they would likely never see in normal consumer use. I know of one OEM that strictly uses Mobile 1 for these tests. Also, they use the full synthetic even on engines which when sold to the public dont require the use of synthetic.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Many doubters overlook the increased MPG, beyond the obvious change intervals.
I have about a dozen vehicles under my care (Amsoil Sig. w/Purolator filters) and
see gains on all from 1-3 mpg with a Celica GT getting a whopping 4^ Just sayin'

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have about a dozen vehicles under my care (Amsoil Sig. w/Purolator filters) and
see gains on all from 1-3 mpg with a Celica GT getting a whopping 4^ Just sayin'
My old Celica saw major mpg increase when i switched it over to synthetic as well! For such a slow under-powered car I loved that thing, it was glued to the road in corners.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have always used Mobil 1 in my cars, and changed the filter every oil change (5K mile / 6 month change intervals.) It's relatively inexpensive full synthetic oil that lasts just fine. Over 100K/8 years I will switch to the high mileage stuff.

Amsoil gets a lot of good reviews, but since I can't buy it in a store I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I will have to strongly lean towards the side of this being coincidence. Unless you can show me hard data to support this, like driving route, driving style, and that you have accurately recreated a driving condition which matches before and after, than its a bold statement to make, and likely false.

I am not trying to flame you or anything, and i believe you when you say you have seen increased mpg. However there are far to many variables to account for that could impact the results that unless you have physically performed test yourself, recorded the data, and removed as many variables as possible then its just not a reliable statement.

I just dont see any way synthetic oil could reduce frictional losses or pumping losses to the point of even seeing a reliable 1 mpg increase. Fractions of an mpg, sure i could believe that. If this was true, no automaker would be running anything but synthetic.

·
Registered
337 Posts
From what I've heard and may have learned in my high school auto classes, I believe your seals/gaskets will swell with the use of synthetic oil when used in a motor that started off with conventional oil. My information might be dated because a fair amount of progress in oils has been made in the past 10 years or so.

Also, aren't a lot of oils blends now anyway?

Also, to Airmapper's comment about switching at will between the two; I've always heard that once you make the switch to FULL synthetics you can't go back, mostly because of the gasket/seal swelling I mentioned.

Just throwing that out there, it's related and I'd like to see if anyone else has heard the same information.

·
on line
2,069 Posts
I dont believe this is true anymore.

FWIW I ran mine with regular 10k intervals on mobile one and cheapest filter. at 220k miles when I traded it, there was very minimal loss of oil through the 10k miles. (maybe 1/4qt).

·
Registered
340 Posts
I will have to strongly lean towards the side of this being coincidence. Unless you can show me hard data to support this, like driving route, driving style, and that you have accurately recreated a driving condition which matches before and after, than its a bold statement to make, and likely false.

I am not trying to flame you or anything, and i believe you when you say you have seen increased mpg. However there are far to many variables to account for that could impact the results that unless you have physically performed test yourself, recorded the data, and removed as many variables as possible then its just not a reliable statement.

I just dont see any way synthetic oil could reduce frictional losses or pumping losses to the point of even seeing a reliable 1 mpg increase. Fractions of an mpg, sure i could believe that. If this was true, no automaker would be running anything but synthetic.
Wow, you must live under a rock....
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Factory_Fill/Vehicles_Filled_Mobil_1.aspx
I offer a money-back guarantee if your mpgs don't go up after my "servicing"
and I've yet to refund a dime. I've been a "tuner" since my crotch rocket
days in the late 70's and could probably write a book on what works and
what doesn't. You're free to believe what you want.

·
Registered
98 Posts
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Factory_Fill/Vehicles_Filled_Mobil_1.aspx
Again, show me the proof the the switch to synthetic caused the 1-3mpg increase you claimed. Like I mentioned, i do not doubt you are seeing an increase of mileage after your "servicing" but i can almost garuntee any significant increase it not purely from a synthetic switch assuming that you are using the same viscosities.

The problem is, in telling people that you see a 1-3 mpg increase when switching to synthetic, they are going to believe it, and be disappointed if accurately tracking there fuel economy.

I am en engineer working in the automotive industry and have researched this and asked much more experienced and knowledgeable engineers than myself so, though i am by all means not an expert or the rule, i do have a better understanding of it that just saying "oh yea i changed this one thing and my car is magically a million times better in an uncontrolled environment with limitless variables, who knew!"

For example, if an OEM switches from a 10w-30 to a 0w-30 they see an improvement of .5% in fuel economy which is considered a significant improvement. Now let me repeat myself, .5% increase in overall efficiency NOT a .5 mpg increase. And thats from a change in viscosity which has a much greater impact that a switch from synthetic vs standard.

Now, if you are in fact right can actually prove that you are seeing such amazing changes as high as 3MPG greater, than clearly you have it all figured out and a far more knowledgable than the thousands of engineers in this world who have not been able to do what you have. In fact, you are doing the automotive industry a serious injustice by not sharing this knowledge and improving the current state of the automobile. On top of that, you should be making an outrageous salary. Shame on you, sir.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Your link for the Mobil 1 website states who is filling their cars from the factory with Mobil 1. It says nothing about gas mileage increases like you have.

There's no way you're going to prove your point unless you're able to back up your claims with actual documented test data, which doesn't include "I changed the oil in my car and got 3 mpg better mileage". Sorry, that dog won't hunt.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I've got test data. If interested check out the link in my build thread. I log all miles and all maintenance on my car since mile 68.

Click the link and you will see since point 'D' I filled with mobile 1.

I make no assumptions. just provide you numbers. Take it as you will.

If your very interested, I can provide you a more extensive document to all my data.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only way you could accurately prove you have an increase in mpg by switching to synthetic is doing an before and after comparision in which you drive the same route, track gas useage the same exact way, do so on a day with very similiar ambient temp, insure tires are inflated the same, no major crosswinds/headwinds/tailwinds, and a mariad of other variables that all greatly impact fuel economy.

I can give you all the data in the world that shows i get significantly less gas mileage running synthetic, that dosent mean its true, or that i should say it is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts