Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm reaching 3,000 miles soon..... is that the recommended schedule? maybe i can wait another 1000 miles? i used to go every 5,000 on my old honda, but that probably wouldn't cut it here
________
Infant depakote

·
on line
400 Posts
juntao said:
i'm reaching 3,000 miles soon..... is that the recommended schedule? maybe i can wait another 1000 miles? i used to go every 5,000 on my old honda, but that probably wouldn't cut it here
when got the x they gave me coupons for free oil changes or was that 50% off well dont remember but i do remember the manual suggests every 3 months or 3,000 miles...

one thing sucks is that the coupons are for NJ and im all the way in NY

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Personally, I would change your oil ASAP. Nissan doesn't list an oil change until 3700 or so mile. I changed mine at 1500 miles and it was as black as tar. I then replaced it again at 3000 miles, then every 3000 miles after that. After 15,000 miles I switched to Mobile 1 which I replace every 5K.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Yeah, your first oil change should be around 1,500 miles because your engine is just breaking in and there could be tiny bits of metal that have been shaved off during this period (not good to have floating around in your oil). After that every 3,000 miles. If you are thinking about using synthetic oil, wait untill after you hit 15,000

So basically... exactly what muzikman said :blackeye: :drunken:

·
on line
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks guys. i'm taking it over there in 30 minutes. i was not aware to change after the first 1500....the service guy mentioned the same thing.

he also mentioned $75 to replace the cabin filter :angryfire: whatever, i can do that myself
________
VAPORIZER STORES

·
on line
3,262 Posts
juntao said:
thanks guys. i'm taking it over there in 30 minutes. i was not aware to change after the first 1500....the service guy mentioned the same thing.

he also mentioned $75 to replace the cabin filter :angryfire: whatever, i can do that myself
Cabin filter needs to be replaced at around 10,000 - 15,000 miles (i think)

I need to do this also.... but yes, dont pay somebody else to do it. It seems pretty easy.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It's easy, but a real pain in the butt (if that makes sense). I have changed mine twice and each time I swear that it's worth paying some one. ;)

·
on line
358 Posts
I have always done my first oil change at 1000 miles. Just to get the little break-in junk out.

·
on line
2,875 Posts
wow! 1500 miles??

Back in the old days, this was probably a good idea. Read any chiltons and it would basically say to change the oil real quick on a rebuild. Nowadays, they build engines cleaner and tighter, so really, changing the oil out before 3k is overkill AND maybe it even hurt the break-in process. Some wear is good for a new engine, for things to seat etc.... I used to do the same thing, change it like at 1200 but ws told by dealer it could do more harm than good... But anyways, who knows so I just go by what the manual says. Nissans are long lasting vehicles/engines so I am not too worried.

regarding little metal chips floatin around, there is an oil filter installed AND isn't there a magnetic drain plug or no? Some cars even have magnetic pain, oh wait, that's for trannys.... ANyhow... do what you want, whatever makes you feel good in my book. I personally, am sticking with 3750 miles using dino oil for a while and haven't decided if switching over to synthetic is benefitial or not....since i chenge so often and does a normal filter last beyond 3750 miles anyways?

·
on line
631 Posts
silverflash said:
....since i chenge so often and does a normal filter last beyond 3750 miles anyways?
Yea a filter will last 7k or so on a good engine. Ive cut filters open before just to see what was inside. Also, which filters is everyone running? Having worked at a parts store before, I have seen people purchase many different brands. But i did notice Bosch filters causing problems on customer vehicles. There is a spring inside the filter used to control oil pressure. I dont know why they do this but its there. People brought filters back saying that the spring went out and caused the oil pressure to drop. So i dont recommend Bosch anything!! except for their ICON wiper blades cuz they are the best thing i purchased for my X. I personally run OEM oil filter, and nissan filters are all the same size :cheers:

·
on line
355 Posts
silverflash said:
wow! 1500 miles??

regarding little metal chips floatin around, there is an oil filter installed AND isn't there a magnetic drain plug or no? Some cars even have magnetic pain, oh wait, that's for trannys.... ANyhow... do what you want, whatever makes you feel good in my book. I personally, am sticking with 3750 miles using dino oil for a while and haven't decided if switching over to synthetic is benefitial or not....since i chenge so often and does a normal filter last beyond 3750 miles anyways?
I agree. Waste of money to skip the specified Nissan schedule.

·
on line
2,875 Posts
that metal springy thing is the anti-drainback valve i believe... you need that to prevent oil from draining out backj into the pan so you have oil right at engine startup...

I use purolator mostly... stay away from fram because of what people say......

·
on line
1,361 Posts
i did mine at 1500, then 3750, I figure for $30 it was worth the security of getting any metal junk out of the engine a bit early, now I am on the 3750 cycle.

Not sure best time to switch frmo dyno to synth, I have heard many different reports on this and the newer the info the less mileage it says to wait.

I use mobile or purolator filters

·
on line
631 Posts
i run mobil 5000, and yes change my oil every 3750 miles. i currently have 16000 miles now and will be switching to syn blend on the next oil change then to full synthetic. for those running full synthetic have you noticed any leaks? im sure that with it being a new vehicle there should be no leaks. but on my last vehicle (1997 jeep cherokee) i only had 28000 miles when i purchased it and did the oil change with full syn. after a few oil changes the oil pan started leaking and so did the rear seal. i was told that switching to full syn if you have never run synthetic before will dry the gaskets and seals out... kind of contradicting the whole point of running synthetic... so i switched back to dino oil and never had a problem after.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts