Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed recently that if I let off the gas, coast some and then just tap the gas, I get a clunking sound, kind of sounds like there is slope in my drive line.

I have 113K miles, and have never replaced the u-joints on my drive line...when is this usually done...or should I be looking for a differen issue.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
get under there and rotate the driveshaft back and forth, if you notice a bunch of play between the shaft and pinion then you're probably ready for some replacements

·
on line
1,113 Posts
is it a solid clunk at about 40mph when you let off the throttle and bump the gas again while your coasting ? with the u-joints it varies I just replaced my rear ujoint at 112k but I have a small lift and im in the northeastern salt belt so im sure that played into how long it lasted, I started getting a bad vibration and a chirping sound under the truck thats how I knew it was shot. and the fronts I replaced early at 50k to try and narrow down another vibration.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
is it a solid clunk at about 40mph when you let off the throttle and bump the gas again while your coasting ?
Yes, that is exactly when I hear it??

I have not had a chance to get under the truck and rotate the driveshaft, hopefully this weekend.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Ive had that since the day I brought it home from the dealer, its only around that speed I've noticed it, Ive chalked it up to the rpms being so low at that speed coasting that there isn't much tension on the drive line and there some slack when you let off and hit the gas again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts