Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised not to get hub rings with my wheel purchase. I paid extra for the road force balancing and it paid off. These 285/60/18`s on the predators spin just fine, no vibes!!! not to shabby for being lugcentric...PR...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well how ya like my Predators in black? I fell in a hole through the ice and below the Ice was blackest mud you ever saw. Close up.

But for those of you paying attention real hi jack ? is, On a Stock BFG LT did you notice everyone says "Mount em black side out" Ok, but check this out and somone come up with an offical answer. Why?

MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The reason why is the white side out on many tires (especially MTs and ATs) have a re-enforced sidewall on the "outside" to resist sidewall slices.

I know this to definitely be the case with Firestone/Bridgstone tires.

·
on line
335 Posts
aren't Long trails directional?
look at the tread, and the left is different from the right side

Asymmetric all-season tread design; stabilized outside shoulder

ETA: i looked at a set of stock long trails...and yup they are "asymetrical" ie, directional

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Unfortunately you have to look at factory provided tires and purchased aftermarket tires differently. Take for example the stock BFG Rugged Trail tires: from the factory they have less tread depth then if you would have purchased them from a Discount Tire/Sams Club/Costco. The manufactures do this for a few reasons, and one of them is because they are cheaper.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
muzikman said:
The reason why is the white side out on many tires (especially MTs and ATs) have a re-enforced sidewall on the "outside" to resist sidewall slice's I know this to definitely be the case with Firestone/Bridgestone tires.
That's what I am thinking. Why did BFG force a white letter out situation? Does not say anything on tire about directional and if they were it normally would in same lettering as mount this side out.
I have great sidewall protection on the inside! Great! I hate stock tires and I do notice they don't wear as long as aftermarket of same, but dealers swear they are the same. MC

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I went to the point of measuring brand new tires on a Chevy truck and then measuring the same size aftermarket tires. My results were that the aftermarket tire had about 1/8" more tread.

·
on line
62 Posts
An FYI, the stock Rugged Trails are a passenger tire, hence the "P" 265 size as opposed the the "LT" 265 size for trucks.

Vince :clown:

·
on line
2,081 Posts
If I was a tire manufacturer - I'd want you to mount the White Letters facing the world so everyone can easily see my brand name!

Probably just a marketing thing :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts