Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay i decided to get the same type of wheels as ponyboy http://www.4wheelcustoms.com/Products.asp?Cat=415 (procomp 97). I know i am going to need spacers and/or adapters. so I decided to go with the same type of adaptor as grunzen http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_6_Lug_4_5_To_6_Lug_5_5_p/6450-6550.htm I just wanted to know if this would be a good idea. Do you think that these things will handle off road abuse? Im not very familiar with the material they are made of (im not familiar with any types of material).

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Man can I convince you to wait until they make a proper wheel? Adapters are not a good Idea, especially where off road is concerned. Plus, the additional offset really really puts a strain on your bearings. If you see an OFF ROAD ADVENTURES magazine put out by 4 Wheel Parts check out page 98 under Wheel Bearing Worries. Not a good idea! Especially on our weak ass X. I waited a year for wheels. Been an auto enthusiast for over 40 years, many times I saw the lesson, don't use spacers. The factory plans that offset. Stick to it. MC

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So do you think i should go with the wheels you got, and powder coat them? I want the black look, because im getting shrocked all around and i want it to match!!

·
on line
161 Posts
im positive the top ones work..... but not sure about the second ones. I was sort of looking for an opinion from you or MC or whoever because if they would work id probably get a pair because of the price and because of the color and look.....

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay maybe i will check them out (the second ones) but it says in the description that they are all on order (all states). I guess i wont be able to find out before i leave for france :crybaby:

But i dont like the first ones. the nascar symbol is a turn off

·
on line
1,884 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
But i dont like the first ones. the nascar symbol is a turn off
But it does make you go faster....

·
on line
186 Posts
If you do decide to go for the adapters I would choose Cragar wheels instead. If you check www.summitracing.com they have the soft 8s which are almost identical to the procomps except 20 bucks cheaper. Summit also had free shipping at the time when I ordered mine.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mjm4soccer said:
If you do decide to go for the adapters I would choose Cragar wheels instead. If you check www.summitracing.com they have the soft 8s which are almost identical to the procomps except 20 bucks cheaper. Summit also had free shipping at the time when I ordered mine.
:thumbup: Noted!!

·
on line
496 Posts
Remember I got the 6x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters for the wheels I got you'll only need 6x4.5 to 6x4.5 1" adapters for those wheels as they come with are bolt pattern. They are made from 6061 billet alum.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you think that the adapters will hold up during rough wheeling? Im scared now to put spacers because of MC's comment!

I guess sometimes too much information can be a bad thing!! :tard:

·
on line
1,884 Posts
I am not a wheel expert but appraoching the problem with logic: A spacer between the hub and the wheel creates a longer moment arm for the forces applied to the tire to transmit thru the wheel to the hub. A longer moment arm means a greater amplified force on the hub which to me seems like a bad thing. I will wait till more wheels are developed to fit our Xs!

·
on line
3,217 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the spacers and adapters myself as they transmit more forces on the hub areas of the wheels,etc.

·
on line
87 Posts
WHy not just try a bigger size? Why has no one tried 16.5 inch wheels? I mean 16.5 inch tires are cheaper then 16 inch tires.

·
on line
161 Posts
find me a 16.5 in wheel that fits our X's and ill show you a happy Cat :cat:

unfortunately wheel companies just dont make many 6 on 114.3.... :violent2:

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plus i just purchased some new tires that are for 16" wheels. If i bought 16.5" rims i would need to buy new tires, that is not an option!!!

·
on line
3,484 Posts
All I know is, you will be better served with wheels that fit rather than with spacers, no matter how you go. Spacers can be bad news where wheels that fit are not. I've seen a lot of problems and I have read about a lot of problems. Spacers = More problems. Even if you maintain them perfectly, they are putting a lot of strain on everything that would normally not be there. It's asking for problems. Sooner or latter. Plus, it's a safety issue. Buy any wheel you like that fits without spacers.
MC

·
on line
1,320 Posts
WHy not just try a bigger size? Why has no one tried 16.5 inch wheels? I mean 16.5 inch tires are cheaper then 16 inch tires.
I was kinda wondering the same thing... Does everyone have something against 17" wheels???
there are several of those available to fit out there.
And tires galore to go with them!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts