Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a pretty sweet run this weekend with my wife and one of my Club Frontier friends. It was a very long day (12+hrs) but, we had a great time. We started in Downieville and ended up just east of Quincy, CA. As always, missed a ton of great photos:dontknow:

Hazy but still a great view:

Yes, I am wheeling with the dealer plates on. Didn't just spend all that money for it to sit in my driveway! I just hit 1000 miles right before the trail:

Oddly enough, the Scott house:

Glad I had the locker for this one. Funny thing about this trail, a Rubicon had just told us "no way". Jen made it up without issue, I had to work at it a bit but, we both made it.

Weird old graveyard. Oldest I saw was early 1800's. Was kinda sad to see so many kids:(

I can't wait for next summer so I can spend a few weekends up here exploring. So many old town sites and mines, my favorite stuff.

Thanks for looking:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Glad I had the locker for this one. Funny thing about this trail, a Rubicon had just told us "no way". Jen made it up without issue, I had to work at it a bit but, we both made it.
That hill is way steeper and looser and crappier than it looks in your pics. For some reason, I decided we needed to prove that guy wrong. Thanks for playing. ;) "Without issue" isn't entirely accurate though. At the spot I had trouble, my truck probably rolled several of those loose boulders into your path. Heh...sorry about that.

I'm still going through my pics. I didn't get as many as you, but if I come across any good ones I'll add them here.

·
on line
236 Posts
that looks like a fun place for us nor cal people to check out

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing, :)
it looks like a fun trip and if you post up in the CA section of Pacific I'll bet a few bay area people would love to join you.

Cheers
Thanks Chris:salute: The problem is meeting people over the internet, you never know what kind of weirdos you will get. That's how I met Jen and well, look how that turned out:iconbiggrin:

That hill is way steeper and looser and crappier than it looks in your pics. For some reason, I decided we needed to prove that guy wrong. Thanks for playing. ;) "Without issue" isn't entirely accurate though. At the spot I had trouble, my truck probably rolled several of those loose boulders into your path. Heh...sorry about that.

I'm still going through my pics. I didn't get as many as you, but if I come across any good ones I'll add them here.
I'm kidding Jen! We had a blast as usual:) I didn't get to see you go up most of that hill and I was the only witness so let's just go with "without issue". I say haha Jeep guy:thefinger:

that looks like a fun place for us nor cal people to check out
Awesome place man, get up there!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks Chris:salute: The problem is meeting people over the internet, you never know what kind of weirdos you will get. That's how I met Jen and well, look how that turned out:iconbiggrin:
I can totally relate to this. And I can't seem to be able to get rid of you now.

I'm kidding Jen! We had a blast as usual:) I didn't get to see you go up most of that hill and I was the only witness so let's just go with "without issue". I say haha Jeep guy:thefinger:
I got hung up in the same spot as you...wedged a front tire up against a rock and stalled. Turned passenger and tried to bump it...nada. Turned driver and tried again, and got lucky. Kept it floored the rest of the way up...and came really close to sliding into that huge rock that was sticking out of the hillside. I'm really not a fan of those trails that force you to use the "floor it and pray" method. I much prefer crawling over stuff in a controlled fashion.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Oddly enough, the Scott house:
Sad. That house was still standing 2 years ago when I made that run.
Hmmm. maybe it was longer ago?

Yup. 2009 still standing (please don't mind the FJ, that's my wheelin' buddies rig) :

That hill is way steeper and looser and crappier than it looks in your pics.
Yes. Yes it is. Especially with snow melt all over it.

Weird old graveyard. Oldest I saw was early 1800's. Was kinda sad to see so many kids
Often the mothers marker was there as well ... with the same date.
:(

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sad. That house was still standing 2 years ago when I made that run.
Hmmm. maybe it was longer ago?

Yup. 2009 still standing (please don't mind the FJ, that's my wheelin' buddies rig) :
Wow. I have seen pictures of it standing and wondered how long ago it fell down. Apparently fairly recently.

Yes. Yes it is. Especially with snow melt all over it.
It was dry when we went, but we were dodo heads and didn't air down. I was about halfway up that nasty section when I realized it would have been a marvelous idea.

·
on line
2015 Xterra
177 Posts
Looks like an awesome trip! And I love those wheels!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like an awesome trip! And I love those wheels!
Thanks! Any trip in my book is a good trip.:iconbiggrin:

The MK6's are growing on me for sure. At first I thought they looked a little out of place, like they would be happier on a Z or similar but, I dig them now. They are super cheap and that's really why I bought them, to beat on. Ended up being cheaper than buying used pro-4x wheels:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Looks like an awesome trail to explore. How would you rate the difficulty of this trail? My wife loves the old buildings/graveyard type of deal since she loves to take pics and this would be a great trail for us to break in the PRO-4X.

Would this be a good trail for a beginner with no wheelin' experience? From the pics you took.. it looks pretty easy except for that rocky climb.. maybe I can stop there turn back? Were you on 4Hi most of the time?

Just looking for a cool place to explore with just me and the wife. We don't have any friends that are into wheelin' so just wanted to explore by ourselves and be a little romantic :iconbiggrin:

Thanks!

·
on line
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
920 Posts
Cool pics. Love that area, the Gold Lake and Feather River area (Stag Point 4X4 trail) are beautiful as well.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like an awesome trail to explore. How would you rate the difficulty of this trail? My wife loves the old buildings/graveyard type of deal since she loves to take pics and this would be a great trail for us to break in the PRO-4X.

Would this be a good trail for a beginner with no wheelin' experience? From the pics you took.. it looks pretty easy except for that rocky climb.. maybe I can stop there turn back? Were you on 4Hi most of the time?

Just looking for a cool place to explore with just me and the wife. We don't have any friends that are into wheelin' so just wanted to explore by ourselves and be a little romantic :iconbiggrin:

Thanks!
I'd say that everything but that hill climb would easily be stock doable man. That hill climb would be the only place I can think of where you could easily put a rock into the oil pan or kill your rockers. Saddleback Mountain was cool and the road is peppered with cool stuff to check out along the way. Other than that little section in the rocks, the road is pretty mild with just enough flexy spots to keep it fun. As long as it's dry, you should be able to takle most of it all in 2wd. THIS BOOK has it listed as moderate. I disagree, personally. I would nuke your mud flaps if you still have them though:wave:

I'm looking to upgrade my GPS tracking capabilities here in the near future so that I can show you guys exactly where I've been, maybe help others find their way a little easier:iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I'd say that everything but that hill climb would easily be stock doable man. That hill climb would be the only place I can think of where you could easily put a rock into the oil pan or kill your rockers. Saddleback Mountain was cool and the road is peppered with cool stuff to check out along the way. Other than that little section in the rocks, the road is pretty mild with just enough flexy spots to keep it fun. As long as it's dry, you should be able to takle most of it all in 2wd. THIS BOOK has it listed as moderate. I disagree, personally. I would nuke your mud flaps if you still have them though:wave:

I'm looking to upgrade my GPS tracking capabilities here in the near future so that I can show you guys exactly where I've been, maybe help others find their way a little easier:iconbiggrin:
Thanks for the info! I was about to get that book but then saw this instead http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Adventures-Northern-California-Ultimate/dp/1930193254/ref=pd_sim_b_4 so ordered it. It's coming next week. Can't wait to go out and try some trails! Soooo excited! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Be careful out there alone.
As always!!! Bring all the niceties in triple the quantity you think you'll need for a day trip.

I totally glanced over the "no wheeling experience" thing, hybrid 90. If you are determined to go it alone, make sure you file a flight plan with someone who can come get you if you don't check in on time. When I go alone (one rig), I look at my wife and kids and think of what I'd need to keep them all warm, dry, fed and hydrated for a few days if something went south. Then I pack accordingly. Even the mildest 2wd roads can be deadly if you are not prepared for problems:D

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Be careful out there alone.
As always!!! Bring all the niceties in triple the quantity you think you'll need for a day trip.

I totally glanced over the "no wheeling experience" thing, hybrid 90. If you are determined to go it alone, make sure you file a flight plan with someone who can come get you if you don't check in on time. When I go alone (one rig), I look at my wife and kids and think of what I'd need to keep them all warm, dry, fed and hydrated for a few days if something went south. Then I pack accordingly. Even the mildest 2wd roads can be deadly if you are not prepared for problems:D
Much appreciated for the caution :eek:ccasion5: Yeah I totally know about the buddy system when wheeling but I'll make sure to keep on the rather safe safe side, just mainly easy sight seeing... ya know like looking at birds and small rocks and stuff :D

I don't plan to stray away from civilization just yet until I take a beginner course in wheeling or gather experiences from local members.

Ok sorry for derailing your thread.
Now back to your cool trip pictures! :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Much appreciated for the caution :eek:ccasion5: Yeah I totally know about the buddy system when wheeling but I'll make sure to keep on the rather safe safe side, just mainly easy sight seeing... ya know like looking at birds and small rocks and stuff :D

I don't plan to stray away from civilization just yet until I take a beginner course in wheeling or gather experiences from local members.

Ok sorry for derailing your thread.
Now back to your cool trip pictures! :)
Not a derailment at all man:eek:ccasion5:

Hit BCBRIAN up or others in your area and see if you can get someone to take you to Hollister Hills or something. Get you some experience/confidence using your rig. I know Brian does HH quite a bit and I'm sure he'd show ya the ropes. Super nice guy as well:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts