Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Great Pics :)
That fine rig of yours could take you to some mighty fine hot springs in Idaho.
I have been to a few and they are great!!

http://www.idahohotsprings.com/
Oh it definitely has! That website is actually a bit dated- some of those springs do not exist any more since BLM/FS dynamited/closed some. :-( My fav is Skinnydipper on Banks-Lowman Hwy. The best is doing it in winter with snowfall- so dang pretty.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Oh it definitely has! That website is actually a bit dated- some of those springs do not exist any more since BLM/FS dynamited/closed some. :-( My fav is Skinnydipper on Banks-Lowman Hwy. The best is doing it in winter with snowfall- so dang pretty.
when i was a kid I worked at the Boy Scout Camp in McCall we would go to the hot springs on weekends to check out the naked chicks. Always some old fat dude with some hot young chick.. I talked my GF in to when I bring her to meet my parents going out to some hot spring... I hope to return the favor.. :) I just need to remember were some are.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Kfrizz- It's the "drive on top of water" mod. All you need are: a water crossing and a big-a$$ rock completely submerged. Next step- cross water and run into aforementioned rock while trying to keep a steady pace in deepening water... :-D

when i was a kid I worked at the Boy Scout Camp in McCall we would go to the hot springs on weekends to check out the naked chicks. Always some old fat dude with some hot young chick.. I talked my GF in to when I bring her to meet my parents going out to some hot spring... I hope to return the favor.. :) I just need to remember were some are.
There is an awesome guidebook listing all the known hot springs in PNW, most of which is Idaho in there. I love it and use it all the time! Here's the link to it: Hiking Hot Springs. Or just hit me up whenever you guys are in state and I can tell/show you. I can def recommend some that are very nice and may not have naked old dudes, tho no guarantees.

·
Registered
565 Posts
There is a large empty lot about 5 mins from my house that has a 200ft 'lake' that forms when it rains or snow melts. It gets about 12" deep. It is completely dry now and i went over yesterday and moved a big ass rock, 5 ft long railroad tie with rebar sticking out, and a piece of concrete with spikes in it out of the middle and up to the edge out of the way. I have driven across the 'lake' 100 times and missed the submerged obstacles. Blind luck. Didn't even know they were there. I pretended i was doing a 'clean up' but really i just want to keep driving through the water safely! It is too much fun. I love urban wheeling on my lunch break.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ha yeah, not too much urban out here. That shot was me veering too much to my right and hitting the rock...which I should have known was there since the Jeep hit it earlier in the day (that water crossing is the first thing you do when coming off the boat ramp). The water crossing was about 3/4 up my tires, which is a distance I have not measured....now I kinda want to know, haha

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Today went on another trail run with the Idaho Off Road Club. Everyone there was a Jeep except for myself and the trail leader (whose Jeep had flats, so he took his F350 instead, haha).

View from Boise foothills overlooking Treasure Valley area

The mtns should be COVERED in snow by now, but there is hardly anything. Sad. But we did encounter this:
Giant ice flow covering the trail, with a drop off on the other side. Luckily the F350 had sand bags and we had shovels to gouge traction marks in the ice with.

One of these is not like the others...

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Someone (Mel) must protect the s"heeps from get stuck Or lost in the wild country.

That ice sheet looked fun & dangerous. good photo's

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
HAha thanks! Yeah it is nice to be different. I just started the process of joining the club (need a sponsor and attend so many events). I arrived late to the meeting place, but they knew the "Xterra girl" was coming, so waited for me, haha!

I'm a fascinating anamoly to them. They were impressed with my survival kit in the back and all the stuff I have in there (galoshes for making snow angels and playing in snow...and my spare steelie since I forgot to take it out). Everyone said they were impressed with the X, so at least I'm making headway with the Jeep crowd.

Yeah that ice sheet sure was something else! At least a foot thick and sloped toward the drop off. Talk about clencher!

·
on line
1,667 Posts
mel,

would you buy these tires again? how would you rate them in mud and snow?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
mel,

would you buy these tires again? how would you rate them in mud and snow?
I think I would rather go with a tire that has the tread spread on to the sidewall more (like duratecs). I like these tires and they have served me very well. Yesterday was the first time I took them in snow and they did well but not amazing. The problem with treads like those is that mud/snow gets packed in there pretty good. Awesome in sand/gravel tho!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Went on another (monthly) run with the local OR group out here. Went down south of Bruneau, ID (about 80mi SE of Boise towards NV border). I had to go on the easy run b/c I dont have lockers for the waterfall climbs on the other runs.

Here are some pics of a very snowy day, haha:

Clean!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
This weekend I went on the Idaho State 4x4 Association's event run. We camped at Nat-Soo-Pah hot springs/campground. I could only go on the trail on Friday. It was near Salmon Falls Creek Reservoir/Jarbridge (about 1-15mi from the NV border). Here are some pics:

On the way there, we stopped at Shoshone Falls in Twin Falls, ID

Salmon Falls Creek Dam and a view of area we were in (looking S toward NV):

^this was actually a more cleaned up area that we went thru.

large branch hitched a ride and scratched the crap outta my hatch.

Scenic views:
Natural Arch

Standard poser shot:
(getting my zombie on)

I learned that shale is EVIL when going down a steep decline at 3.13 gearing!

Overall had some body damage from smashing rear driver corner on a rock (those Jeepers made AWFUL spotters) and bowing out my hatch a bit. Guess I'm lucky I didnt bust out my rear window, too.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
^Yes, not too terribly far from there. Maybe about 15-20mi NE of there.

Oh, did you guys end up doing that trail run of the Owyhee Scenic Byway last month? I'm organising a run of it for hopefully sometime in Aug/Sept if you are interested.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts