Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: Meeting spot will be the Gunsmoke truck stop in Johnson Village at 9am, leaving by 9:30am. CB channel 24.

I want to get out that weekend but am not interested in the difficult Spring Creek Run that same day. (It will have appeal to some people, but I'm sure there are others who don't really enjoy truck-bashing/bustin'/winch-fests.)

I'm posting this as a complementary run to that one and not trying to compete with it. I'm open to suggestions, and weather will obviously be a potential limiting factor. I'm also assuming now that just about anything in the northern front range is out indefinately due to lack of access/damaged/closed roads due to flooding.
So, I'm thinking Mount Antero , Hancock Pass , and Tomichi Pass (...if it's still open. I couldn't find a link on traildamage. Bushducks simply shows it open as of 6/30/13...).

Anyone interested?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I want to get out that weekend but am not interested in the difficult Spring Creek Run that same day. (It will have appeal to some people, but I'm sure there are others who don't really enjoy truck-bashing/bustin'/winch-fests.)

I'm posting this as a complementary run to that one and not trying to compete with it. I'm open to suggestions, and weather will obviously be a potential limiting factor. I'm also assuming now that just about anything in the northern front range is out indefinately due to lack of access/damaged/closed roads due to flooding.
So, I'm thinking Mount Antero , Hancock Pass , and Tomichi Pass (...if it's still open. I couldn't find a link on traildamage. Bushducks simply shows it open as of 6/30/13...).

Anyone interested?
Hey Buddy,
Kelly and I were talking about going to Moab that weekend and I'm pretty sure were not going now.. Not sure what were going to do yet and I'm not sure I want to beat the rig up after all the repairs/improvements that I've been doing(although really didn't have a choice)!! We haven't run any of those trails and We'd like to do them.. Keep me posted

I agree with you in the fact that we probably won't be running many trails in our area for quite awhile due to the Rain and Flood damage to trails and obviously the roads.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Definitely interested ... still need to re-introduce myself to the group, and get plugged back in after disappearing into baby-land for a while.

We're back from the next trip on the 23rd - and that's the end of the crazy September I've mentioned a couple of times ... so I'll talk it over with Amber and see if I can try and make it out for a mild run.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd be interested. I've been wanting to finish the Mt. Antero trail since we got stopped by snow before we got to the top.

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Hey Buddy,
Kelly and I were talking about going to Moab that weekend and I'm pretty sure were not going now.. Not sure what were going to do yet and I'm not sure I want to beat the rig up after all the repairs/improvements that I've been doing(although really didn't have a choice)!! We haven't run any of those trails and We'd like to do them.. Keep me posted

I agree with you in the fact that we probably won't be running many trails in our area for quite awhile due to the Rain and Flood damage to trails and obviously the roads.
Traitor ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
have never done or heard of the mount Antero trail.. Is it a pretty casual trail if I wanted to take the GF up to see the leaves change?
It's out by St. Elmo. It's a fun trail til you get to the split for continuing up Mt. Antero or descending to Brown's Lake. Going up, it is all ridge road and switchbacks to the top. As long as she doesn't freak out from the narrow road and long drop offs, she should be ok.

I'd advise doing it as early in the day as possible (before 10am) as the weather tends to turn nasty in the afternoon as you get up toward the top.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Xorro - I know you said you aren't trying to compete, but...

And, Treff - I know I was the one that first floated the idea of a Spring Creek run, but...

This fall colors run sounds great. Might get the wife to come along (she loves fall colors and HATES Spring Creek :icon_smile:)

So - majority rules - it's all about the social side anyway, right?

If more are keen to do the fall colors than Spring Creek (and it certainly looks that way now) - then I'll get in on the fall colors and set up a Spring Creek run another time.

Don't hate, Treff!!!!

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Xorro - I know you said you aren't trying to compete, but...

And, Treff - I know I was the one that first floated the idea of a Spring Creek run, but...

This fall colors run sounds great. Might get the wife to come along (she loves fall colors and HATES Spring Creek :icon_smile:)

So - majority rules - it's all about the social side anyway, right?

If more are keen to do the fall colors than Spring Creek (and it certainly looks that way now) - then I'll get in on the fall colors and set up a Spring Creek run another time.

Don't hate, Treff!!!!
Not hating, but I didn't put 5,000 in my truck to do dirt roads so spring creek and rock crawling is my type of wheeling :) ill still be doing it, so you all have fun

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a few teaser pics of what may be, weather permitting. These are from 9/24/2011 when mtownsle & I ran it:

Near the top of Hancock Pass. (Tomichi Pass in background.) :

Colors nearing St. Elmo area:

·
Registered
608 Posts
If the colors are good, I would skip Antero and hit Hancock, Tomichi and Old Monarch Pass. Far more aspens on the southern part of Tomichi and Old Monarch Pass than on Antero.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^ Mt. Antero boasts Xebra's current TOTM photo. It's scenic too...;):)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just a few teaser pics of what may be, weather permitting. These are from 9/24/2011 when mtownsle & I ran it:

Near the top of Hancock Pass. (Tomichi Pass in background.) :

Yeah, I remember seeing your X........ in my rearview mirror!

That was a great day and I'd like to do it again. Haven't done Tomichi yet. I'm with Eric, if the colors have started then I'd rather hit Hancock, Tomichi, and Old Monarch.
Will be down in Ouray this Thu to Sun. Might be early for colors but hopefully dry.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would def be in if my work schedule allows it. Might be bringing my uncle if its ok as well as my buddy mike. both with jeeps but great people. (Mike actually ran a few trails early in the year and had a blast with everyone)

1 - 20 of 116 Posts