Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the last-minute posting of this, but myself and a couple of my friends with Heeps decided to go on a snow run near Breckenridge this Saturday the 19th. We heard from a local tour guide that there was 6" of snow on the Swan River trails as of Wednesday, and a few more inches expected before Saturday. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Meet at the intersection of Tiger Rd. and the North Fork of the Swan River at 10:00 AM .

CB channel 26. Dress warm - let me know if we should expect you.

·
Registered
277 Posts
A fair bit of snow fell in the area last night and this a.m. I'd plan back up trails you could run if its closed.

I tried to drive the Slide Lake trail near me today and the trail gate was closed due to about foot of snow. About 75% of the trails I could see from the road yesterday on my way to Vail were open so there should be backup options for you guys, the access to holy cross was even open.

Have fun on the run, and please show those Heeps what a real off road vehicle looks like.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A fair bit of snow fell in the area last night and this a.m. I'd plan back up trails you could run if its closed.

I tried to drive the Slide Lake trail near me today and the trail gate was closed due to about foot of snow. About 75% of the trails I could see from the road yesterday on my way to Vail were open so there should be backup options for you guys, the access to holy cross was even open.

Have fun on the run, and please show those Heeps what a real off road vehicle looks like.
Yes, we do have backup plans for other trails if Swan River is closed or not passable. Something simple like Georgia Pass or Boreas Pass would be fun with some snow. Thanks for the suggestions on those other two trails though.

·
on line
4,196 Posts
I'm thinking about coming along. I'll confirm for sure later today. My original weekend plan was the mod day on Sunday, but with the unfortunate circumstances of it getting split up to both days & fragmented groups, wheeling now sounds more fun. Plus I do prefer having Sundays open.
Could you post a google maps link to that meeting spot?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
on line
4,196 Posts
Today was a BLAST! :):) We tried & ultimately failed on the North Fork Swan River trail (about 2.1-ish miles into the Blue section in the Funtreks book). We also made a wrong turn prior to that and ended up somewhere near the southern end of Keystone Ski Resort. We back-tracked & tried Georgia Pass, where we ultimately also failed. Mark & I gave it our best "go" in trail-breaking but there is just too much snow up there.

We went to another alternate trail, Boreas Pass, and, finally, success! Today was a good day with fun people. Thanks guys! (I got a few good pics, but they won't get posted until later tomorrow...)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes! A great day. I had so much fun, and I know that Jim & Mike did as well. Blazing tracks through untouched snow was nerve-wracking but a fun experience. Looking forward to what will probably be our last run of this season next Saturday.

·
on line
4,196 Posts
Trail blazing ahead:

Turning around after being stymied:

Atop Boreas Pass:

What's this? Another Xterra! The Heeps are outnumbered. :)

Jim protests, "Where are all these Xterra's coming from?"

Who are you silver Xterra? (We never saw the driver.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts