Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of short notice but I've not been out for the last 3 weekends. I need to get out. I was thinking of running up & doing Argentine Pass & McClellan Mountain. Anyone interested? I can post more details depending on interest. I'd prefer to go on Saturday 8/3 but could maybe also do Sunday 8/4.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Wish I could join you Buddy, but my company's summer party is Saturday (fairly early), so I won't be able to go wheeling that day. Probably too much to do around the house to bug out on Sunday. Have fun, those are great trails!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Kind of short notice but I've not been out for the last 3 weekends. I need to get out. I was thinking of running up & doing Argentine Pass & McClellan Mountain. Anyone interested? I can post more details depending on interest. I'd prefer to go on Saturday 8/3 but could maybe also do Sunday 8/4.
Hey Buddy,
I was thinking about doing Moody Hill on Sat if your interested in going. That being said I haven't done Argentine Pass & McClellan either. Give me a call or text and we'll figure something out..

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Buddy,
I was thinking about doing Moody Hill on Sat if your interested in going. That being said I haven't done Argentine Pass & McClellan either. Give me a call or text and we'll figure something out..
I've done all of the above, plus Crystal Mtn. I'm wanting above treeline trails now that most are open. Moody Hill & Crystal Mtn. are mostly in the trees with a few limited views. The quarry is cool on Moody.

Argentine & McClellan have awesome views and Argentine has an optional lower route that follows & crosses a stream. Depending on who is going, we could consider that route. It's harder but not too much so.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Based on tomorrow's forecast, early. Say 8:45am at the Georgetown Visitor Center? Get up there & see the sites before the thunder starts to roll in...

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I did this run yesterday. Argentine Pass followed by McClellan Mtn.
Also got to the Santiago Mine site where they had a petition going to Save The Mine. I signed it. Apparently the Forest Service would like to knock the mine down...I'm not sure why, as the historic value would seem to outweigh any natural benefit in this particular area...it's pocked with old mining sites so not virgin wilderness by any stretch.
On that subject, has anyone else noticed that NOTHING grows on the old mine tailings? I mean, that stuff has been laying there for maybe upwards of 150 years and it's as stark as talus on the slopes of the mountains. (Having recently been to Mt. St. Helens, where it volcanically destroyed everything around it in 1980, that area looks better now than these mine tailings do now! What toxic crap were those old miners hauling out beyond the gold & silver...??)
Anyway, I had a great day & met up with a few folks up there who were also enjoying the area. I kept encountering the same few on the trail & yielding right of way when necessary. I also finally got to explore the northern "I70 overlook" area. It was a good day. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts