Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to do this to keep my tires from rubbing...when turning....coudnt find a write just want to make sure I do it correctly before I attempt this?

couldnt find it in the How too's...

thanks

·
on line
14,014 Posts
It's in the "How To" thread here:
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2361

I took my Dremel and cut off that little metal lip part that MC talks about bending back. Then melted back most of the wheel well w/ my heat gun and even trimmed off some of the plastic at the very bottom. I had to melt just a little bit in the very front, too. Pretty easy mod overall.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Ahh, I was just copying the linky to the same write up.
Note, I added 285/75R16's 2 months ago and I have only had to do the melt part of the mod. I have MT's that are 33" and that is all I needed to do.
I just turned the tire, heated up the inner plastic, used a rubber mallet and a piece of 2x6 jammed between the tire and the hot piece of fender plastic and then let it cool. Had to do it 2 or 3 times per side, but no cutting of metal.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
mcampana said:
Bueller, what kind of gas milage change did you get with those bigger tires?
I haven't figured it out, probably scared to. I was getting 346 miles on a tank of gas on the stock crap tires. Now I am getting about 300 miles on a tank. Factor in the bigger diamater tire makes about a 7% difference on the speedo. So I am getting about 321 miles per tank. Loss of 25 miles per tank.

Again, haven't figured out the MPG.
I love these tires though, they look awesome. People gawk at them when stopped at red lights. They are a bit noisy, but it is a truck. They have been great in the rain, haven't spun once, and I took them in the snow and I climbed up snow on mud hills no problem. They are great!!

Also I have the same suspension from PRG that you are running on the way. Hoping to see it by Friday!!!

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bueller44 said:
Ahh, I was just copying the linky to the same write up.
Note, I added 285/75R16's 2 months ago and I have only had to do the melt part of the mod. I have MT's that are 33" and that is all I needed to do.
I just turned the tire, heated up the inner plastic, used a rubber mallet and a piece of 2x6 jammed between the tire and the hot piece of fender plastic and then let it cool. Had to do it 2 or 3 times per side, but no cutting of metal.
I like this method better....I prefer not to cut the fender out...
Some people use a hair dryer...and some use a heat gun....which one did you use?

thanks

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Heat gun. Tried the hair dryer but it took way to long. Went to Canadian Tire and found a good heat gun regular $45 on sale for $20.
Worked great!!

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bueller44 said:
Heat gun. Tried the hair dryer but it took way to long. Went to Canadian Tire and found a good heat gun regular $45 on sale for $20.
Worked great!!
I love Canadian tire....do you have Princess Auto's up near you?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts