Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just order a set of 1.5" spacers. What's everyone think about them, pros and cons.....? I have a stock Pro 4X
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
373 Posts
i like mine, a lot better handling, harder steering and melt mod with my wheels, also wheels move a lot of water
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I run 2in wheel spacers (adapters). I love them but i think it might look weird on a non lifted truck. I have a 3in lift now and am going to install 2in BL to even it out.

I'm pretty sure you will rub without a lift and melt mod.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Nice, she's gonna look meaty!

Make sure you clean all mating surfaces, i took the disks off and lightly sanded them on a flat table. One little chip of crap in there and you might get a wobble at HW speed. Also, use a torque wrench for the lugs. Over torquing can weaken the lugs and you need all the strength you can get out of those things. Off the top of my head, i think it's 90ft lbs. Also you may have to trim the studs on the spacer to use your stock lugs to hold on the wheel on. I had to nip an 1/8th in off mine with a grinder. Lock tight is a good idea for the lugs that bolt the spacer on. Other that that stuff, it's a piece of cake. :thumbright:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok... now i added spacers and now i can feel steering shack around 65mph and higher. Sanded everything smooth, I guess not good?? should I try more? What do you think?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Nice, she's gonna look meaty!

Make sure you clean all mating surfaces, i took the disks off and lightly sanded them on a flat table. One little chip of crap in there and you might get a wobble at HW speed. Also, use a torque wrench for the lugs. Over torquing can weaken the lugs and you need all the strength you can get out of those things. Off the top of my head, i think it's 90ft lbs. Also you may have to trim the studs on the spacer to use your stock lugs to hold on the wheel on. I had to nip an 1/8th in off mine with a grinder. Lock tight is a good idea for the lugs that bolt the spacer on. Other that that stuff, it's a piece of cake. :thumbright:
Ok... now i added spacers and now i can feel steering shack around 65mph and higher. Sanded everything smooth, I guess not good?? should I try more? What do you think?
Do it nice or do it twice

·
Registered
39 Posts
I ran 1.5" spacers on a stock Pro-4X with no issue. I needed the melt mod when I got my Duratracs.

It looks great but be prepared to never have clean sides again, the tire will be out the wheel well and spray.
Sorry to bump a reasonably old thread, but Xterra_Brit, what size Duratracs did you get with the spacers on a stock P4X? 285 75R 16 or smaller?

Thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
Spacers are almost always a bad idea.

The offset for stock wheels is set so the centerline of the tire is inside the wheel bearing. When you use spacers, you may (probably will, with 1.5" ones) move the centerline outside the wheel bearing. That places much more stress on the bearing and hub. Instead of the load being distributed roughly equally between inner and outer races, you basically double the load (or more) on the outer race. The spacer acts like a lever to increase the load.

The one time spacers make sense is to accommodate aftermarket wheels which have a more positive offset than stock ones.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I have them on my truck with the prg lift, and melt mod. At turn it looks close to the fender, but no contact, at least not yet. And that's with stock size tires ( though BFG AT), not sure how 285's would fit and not make fender contact when my tires are so close

1 - 20 of 36 Posts