Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had these 1.5" wheel spacers sitting around my place for awhile and haven't gotten the chance to get them installed, Id attempt it myself but dont have a torque wrench or anything. I decided to bring them into Goodyear when I went to get my tires balanced and rotated, and asked if they'd be able to throw them on for me. After showing them the spacers the guy seemed pretty thrown back that I even had these and said that "technically" I wasn't suppose to have them & weren't allowed on the roads (pretty sure they're legal in FL). Anyway im sure he was probably just over reacting, but I called about 4 other shops and none would touch them because of the liability factor of them coming off. I know plenty of you guys have these on your rigs, but im wondering if there is actually any big problems running these spacers even if you check them frequently?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
A spacer is not good. It goes over the wheel studs, meaning less stud for the lug nuts.

A wheel adapter is a different story- it bolts on just like your rim, then you put your rim on to the studs pressed into the adapter.

Most shops will lump them together for liability reasons.

·
Registered
507 Posts
What they're afraid of are wheel spacers, which shorten the length your lugnuts can screw on.

Wheel adapters are often lumped in with spacers, but are totally safe as long as they're forged well. Unfortunately, no shop is going to put them on for you. No corporate ones anyway. You might be able to find a mom & pop place.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
So I've had these 1.5" wheel spacers sitting around my place for awhile and haven't gotten the chance to get them installed, Id attempt it myself but dont have a torque wrench or anything. I decided to bring them into Goodyear when I went to get my tires balanced and rotated, and asked if they'd be able to throw them on for me. After showing them the spacers the guy seemed pretty thrown back that I even had these and said that "technically" I wasn't suppose to have them & weren't allowed on the roads (pretty sure they're legal in FL). Anyway im sure he was probably just over reacting, but I called about 4 other shops and none would touch them because of the liability factor of them coming off. I know plenty of you guys have these on your rigs, but im wondering if there is actually any big problems running these spacers even if you check them frequently?
If they are 1.5's they're not "spacers" like the other guys said they are "adapters". That said, i run 2" adapters with no issues aside from tire clearance. Go buy yourself a cheap torque wrench and bolt them up. just make sure all mating surfaces are clean and use some lock tight on the hub side of the adapter. With any of these newer trucks torque specs are fairly critical on MOST bolts. Having a Torque wrench is kind of a necessity. Plus what ever that shop was gonna charge you i bet you could buy 2 nice quality wrenches.

just to clarify these are adapters.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
It is my understanding that they are not "legal", that is why the shops do not want to install them, but on the same token, the wheel spacers that the dually trucks used in the front are legal, so it is a catch 22. It will be interesting to get the insurance guy's input

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The law is state to state. The law in NY, as far as i know, is that you cant have your tires sticking out past the fender. Mine do, by a lot, and noone has bugged my about it. same thing with my roof lights. technically "illegal" but not enforced in the least. All your doing is adding offset. same as if you bought positive off set rims.

285 Posts
You might be able to do a "loan-a-tool" from a local parts store for a torque wrench. I used to do that from a local Autozone.

Getting a new one from Harbor Freight is another option. Dig in magazines, or online, for a coupon to make them dirt cheap. Heck, I could mail you a $9.99 coupon.

Two of my current torque wrenches, Craftsman and Husky, came from pawn shops. My other Craftsman came from a flea market. I snagged all three since they were in new condition.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
sometimes the liability that they speak of is the fact that they are installing a part that they can't guarantee. If your adapters fail you could try and go back at them and they wouldn't have anyone to blame but themselves. If they purchased the parts and they failed then they can go to the manufacturer.

I agree with above comments, pick up a torque wrench and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Almost no shop wants to put on any part they did not provide - period. They don't know the history and are worried for a bunch of reasons.

Also, a lot of shops won' make any modifications of a vehicle from stock.

Probably mostly due to our over litigious culture in general

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can see where the concern comes from with these auto places. Just to clarify it was the adapters from Nisstec so I shouldnt have any troubles from what yall have said. Just kind of a bitch that I cant just have them throw em on real fast. Guess ill be buying a torque wrench!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I can see where the concern comes from with these auto places. Just to clarify it was the adapters from Nisstec so I shouldnt have any troubles from what yall have said. Just kind of a bitch that I cant just have them throw em on real fast. Guess ill be buying a torque wrench!
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-239.html

I have this Tq wrench and it works just as good as my expensive one i got from Snap on.
Comes in a hard case and the quality of the wrench itself is way nicer than you would expect at this price.

Remember to hit the hub side bolts with some red lock tight and make sure any flat mating surface is free of any debris. Also when you recheck the lugs after a few days of driving be sure you set the TQ wrench to a few pounds less then your first setting. The reason being is you don't want to disturb the lock-tight.

Example: I installed at 90 lbs i checked them at 80. Good to go:thumbleft:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SO it turns out that the X's wheel studs arent long enough for the wheel spacer to fit with the nut on so I've given up on the aggressive stance dream, unfortunately.. Not sure what else to do besides buy new ones or just sell the spacers altogether.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
SO it turns out that the X's wheel studs arent long enough for the wheel spacer to fit with the nut on so I've given up on the aggressive stance dream, unfortunately.. Not sure what else to do besides buy new ones or just sell the spacers altogether.
you can buy longer studs

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
That's strange because I've been running 1.5" spacers for the last two years without any issue and know a number of other people who run them.

Got a pic of yours?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts