Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparing to upgrade to 295/75/16s (BFG T/A KO) the person at Tire Rack said that I would need a 7 1/2" rim (currently have 7"x16" original wheel on 06 OR 4x4). He wrote "for safety reasons" which also could have been an understandable response for legal reasons. While getting the 30K all synthetic fluid change the very reputable tire and repair shop folks said that I would have no trouble in putting the BFG on my present rims (I have a 2 1/2" body lift). Have any of you had difficulty in going to a 285 or 295 with the stock wheels on the OR?

·
on line
246 Posts
i was going to go to a 295 when i get a lift but i dont think i should have any rubbin except maybe in spots where i can heat gun and mold fender, but im purchasing procomp's 7089's(i think thats what they are) but they are the all black one's and are 8inches wide, but im also sticking to the stock width at 10.5inches-----------when you go wider is where you will have more rubbing.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
toyniss said:
when you go wider is where you will have more rubbing.
The 295 works out to about 11.7" and 33-plus, so you will likely have to heat-gun mod the X to fit them.

I know some people here run 285s (~11.3" wide) without issue on the stock rim, and the tire manufacturers recommend at least 7.5" rims for those too. But as I've posted before, the more you push the envelope when wrapping fatter tires on the stock rims, the more chance you have of slipping the bead when aired down offroad. The tires are also designed to configure a certain way on the rim as far as sidewall to tread, and the wider you go, the more you alter the manufacturer's plan for the tire. You wind up with a tiny amount of sidewall where you want tread to be, at least in theory. Consequences could involve ride and wear.

Personally, I would go with a 16x8 rim for 285s and up, since I air my tires down significantly, and frequently.

BTW, let's hear if those 7089s fit without issue. Pro Comp told me they probably would. If they do, that would be great news, since they're cheap and look like they'd be sharp on any X.

·
on line
631 Posts
d-rap said:
BTW, let's hear if those 7089s fit without issue. Pro Comp told me they probably would. If they do, that would be great news, since they're cheap and look like they'd be sharp on any X.

the 7089s fit. i mocked em on the X a few months ago at the Salt Lake City 4wdw. luckily they had 2 in stock and had 285/75s on em!! but there is a waiting list for the all black ones from what they said. backspacing was i think 4.5" but i could be wrong. its been a while. size was 16x8 and it looked nice.
im not on the waiting list, but i do plan on buying a set later. my wheels are all scratched up, and i dont want to ruin a brand new set of wheels

·
on line
246 Posts
they are 16.8 and 4.5 which is stock, so i dont think there will be a prob and ill let ya guys know-there also is a buddy over at CF that is getting them put on soon. so ill have some feed back soon

·
on line
1,792 Posts
toyniss said:
they are 16.8 and 4.5 which is stock, so i dont think there will be a prob
Oh, if only it was that easy. The forged alloys, 8089s--tons of wheels--are 16x8 with the right bolt pattern, backspace and offset and still don't clear the calipers.

And remember, nothing 16x8 is "stock," since stock is 16x7.

But I'm glad to hear that the 7089s fit.

·
on line
246 Posts
now im a little confused with the stoopid metric shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.................
265/75 is 10.4 inches wide right?????? because the 75 is the height and 265 is the width??????? someone please explain-im used to the regular old standard tires sizes. so can i get a 265/80 or 85 tire to get height and not width? or do i just need to stick with the standard sizes...?

·
on line
1,792 Posts
The 265 number is the width in mm, so, yes 10.4" or so. The 75 number is the "aspect ratio," so by itself it's not enough info. It's a relative measure, which tells you the distance from the rim to the top of the tire. If it's 75, it's essentially 75% of the first number (265mm or 10.4"), so, in inches, ~7.8, since 7.8 is 75% of 10.4. Now you have to double the 7.8", because there are two rim to top thicknesses to take into account. So it's 7.8+7.8 plus the 16" rim=31.6."

Crazy, no doubt, but just convert the first number to inches, multiply by the aspect ratio, double it and add the rim diameter, and you get approximate tire height. Width, remember is just the first number converted to inches. On the ground, tires vary, and company spec pages or tirerack can be very helpful. Search around on the internet; there are tons of diagrams of what I just described in words and numbers.

·
on line
631 Posts
i like my scratched stock wheels. its "custom" :geek:

metric tire sizes varies by manufacturer, so the conversion charts are approximate as mentioned above. theres lots of links to conversion charts.

i went from stock 265/75s to 275/70s to 285/75s and i might go bigger now! haha. but that'll happen waaaay down the road, once i get the rims.

i wanna see pics when you get the 295s!! is anyone else running that size? i dont think anyone posted that size yet.... maybe i just never pay attention

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
I've been curious about the 295/75/16's myself. They're not too much bigger than a 285. I got these specs for the BFG AT's on TireRack.com.

Rim
Width Section Overall
Tire Size Range Width Diameter
265/75/16 7-8" 10.6" 31.7"
285/75/16 7.5-9" 11.4" 32.8"
295/75/16 7.5-9.5" 11.5" 33.2"

Is the .1" in width and the .4" in diameter really going to make that much of a difference? I know the molding has to be modified a bit, but I wonder if that same molding will suffice for the 295's...

Side Note: I apologize for the chart above. I know the data is a bit hard to separate. I had extra spaces in there, but when I posted it, the extra spaces were removed.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
The 285 75s and the 295s are obviously extremely close. Different tires of the same size vary by as much as these two sizes vary. For instance, the BFG MTs in 285 75 16 are 33.1". The brand to brand margin of error renders these sizes virtually identical.

To be honest, I'd never really taken note of this size until this thread. One thing to look for is load range differences and other details, such as weight, that may make a bigger difference than a few mm. Availability is also a concern.

·
on line
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the responses and help (I've been out for a few weeks, hence the delay). I plan to go with the Pro Comp 7089....and yes, there will be a slight waiting period due to availability.....and the 295s. I agree about the slight differences and had looked into that; compared to 285s, the 295 load is 110 more, weight is 3 lbs. more, and dia. is 0.4 more, and about $5 more per tire at my local shop. Thanks, again.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
AZ-Ted said:
I've never heard of 295s. 265s, 285s, and 305s seem to be common. Are the 295s special order?
No, just not many companies make them... i think BFG, Toyo and nitto are about the only one's i've heard of.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts