Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have never owned wheel locks until I bought my 05 X. It has a security package which includes wheel locks and air bag locks. Boy, I feel pretty safe hehehehe.

So, I was starting my lift tonight, get the rear up, pop one locking lug nut off, do one of the fronts, get to the other side front, and the lug wrench gives a little. I pull the wrench off and pieces fall to the ground. So now I have a broken lug nut, broken key, and one other lug to get off. Stopped by a piece of SH** locking lug nut and lug nut key. I had a free rotation coupon from Nissan and don't know if they cracked it or if it was just waiting to go.

Will be buying an wheel lock removal socket tomorrow. Ugggg...I didn't know locking lug nuts were such trouble. Read several threads on other sites where others crack and break these, which is where I learned about the special sockets.

If you have locking lug nuts, don't get stuck on the side of the road. I would get rid of them now.

OK, rant over. We return you to our regular programming..........

·
on line
34 Posts
Well, look on the bright side, it would have successfully thwarted a would-be theif too, right? :laughing6:

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Yeah, I've heard of this problem.
I'd imagine it's attributed to the fact that you're distributing the torquing load onto the keyed section of the nut, rather than all sides as you crank on it.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Welcome to the club.

:angryfire:

After a tire rotation, the retard torqued my lock lugs down like a regular lug. During a state inspection, the lock lug broke. We were able to remove 2 but two others had shattered. It cost me $100 to have the studs drilled out and replaced.

For everyone else, lose those stupid lock lugs and save yourself a lot of trouble. You don't want to have a flat somewhere and not be able to change a tire because your lock lug broke or you lose the key.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=704&highlight=air+bag+locks

Check out this thread, I bought the air bag locks, I personally tried to help the mechanic install them , it was a no go and we saw no possible way that the air bags can be locked. We figured possibly the passenger side one but what good does that do with the driver side one unlocked as it is more likely to be the one that goes off. I seriously doubt you have air bag locks, check into it and check back, they may owe you some money back. MC

·
Read Only
656 Posts
My daughter had a flat on her Honda w/ locking lug nuts. Unfortunately, Honda didn't replace the key in her glove box when they serviced her car and rotated the tires. Short story long: Had it towed and stowed over nite (bad part of town). Next day the tow company was able to use their unlock kit to change the tire. Back to Honda and gave them the bill for the tow and made them replace the key. Since gone to regular lug nuts. Soon as I locate 4 for the X, the locks and key will be posted on the Swap Meet section.

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had never given these a second thought, but agree with the comments on just get rid of them. I picture my wife on a cold, lonely road, flat, stuck due to these things.

As for would be thieves. If I can buy the special removal tool/socket, so can they. If someone wants your wheels, they will take them. If anyone is determined to keep them to thwart the rookie thieves out there, buy the special socket just in case and keep it in your truck.

Oh, and MC, I will look for the locks. I bought my truck used several months ago from a private party. He said it had all of that and I said wow, OK, but didn't pay extra. It would be good to know if they are there or not. Thanks for the info!!

·
on line
62 Posts
Thanks for posting this, my locks will be coming off tonight and getting tossed.

The dealer was good enough to give the regular nuts back when I picked up the X.

Vince :clown:

·
on line
3,217 Posts
I gotta get two more. I had to get my two front tires replaced as it was WAY out of alignment. It was toed in super bad. I'll show you how bad when I get home tonight from work.

Firestone could get the two locks of the back end but the two front ones busted. He was cool about it and just replaced them with regular ones. I'm going to have to get the back ones off and forget about it. He's had a bunch of problems with X's coming in and having that happen. He said Nissan went real cheap on these things. I laughed and said yup.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I bought the McGuard off the shelf at Pepboys. I do advise get the extra Key. My MB's came with all the lugs a special key. They said DON"T use a impact wrench to loosen, it will ruin the key. Now, as far as breaking one. I don't have a source yet but lug nuts tighten as you drive, yes, so over time, say every 3-6 months you should loosen them, retorque to spec and then retorque after 50 miles and you are good to go again. But that should be done anyways if you rotate your tires on time.
I got the info on the lugs tightening from a wheel manufacture. You can just believe me, I'm not looking it up. Also a very tiny dab of oil or anti seize is suppose to be used in order to allow the lug to go to the proper torque. MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, and don't go to the dealer if you need a new (non locking) lug nut. They charge $5 each!

Somehow I lost one of my locking lugs (It was there the last time I aired up from a run and gone 2 weeks later when I replaced my brakes). I ran to the local dealer and was shocked. I was originally going to just replace all 4 locking lugs but decided that $20 for lug nuts was a bit nuts!

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Locking lugs are an option and part of some package (can't remember which one). They came on mine but I would never have ordered them. The bastards at the stealership even had the audacity to tack on more for them as a "Dealer Installed Option". I had to point out to the dumb ass selling me the car that they were already included in the option package, listed on the window sticker, and were installed before arriving at the dealer. I swear those idiots will try to sell you ermine mudflaps if you let them.

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, here is an update on getting the locking lubs off.

I ended up buying a set of special sockets at Sears. The idea is that the lugs will twist on...sort of a reverse easy out. Anyway...they were POS's and wouldn't do the job. I finally found a deep well metric socket in my set that would not slide over and was one size smaller than the diameter of the lug. I pounded it on good and used my breaker bar to twist off. I took a couple if tries, but that work. I then used a punch to knock the lug out of the socket.

I had read about that trick, but it is better to use a 12 point socket.

Anyway...they are off.

·
on line
2 Posts
Where can I buy a lug nut key or some kind of tool to get them off? My x is sitting on a jack right now b/c I have a flat and have no clue where to turn. I have the spare tire, just need to get the damn flat one off. The local auto stores said there are 10 different keys and it takes 8-10 days to have one shipped in. I'm so lost and need my x back and running. Please help!!!!

·
on line
10,980 Posts
The key should have been in a little pouch strapped to the factory jack when you pulled it out. Or maybe a previous owner threw it in the glove box.

Where are you located? Maybe there's a local member who can help you out ... assuming it's a factory wheel lock, I'd expect them to be the same.

·
on line
951 Posts
The factory locks fall under the same randomness as buying them off the shelf. I removed mine with a drill when I broke the key. Took an hour or so for each one, and I replaced the studs for good measure while I was at it. Another trick is find a gm factory key from the 80's, best ones I've found are the ones from a camaro or firebird. Pound it on over and spin the nut off.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
So, I went to check my lugs today. Just had new tires mounted and since I didnt do it myself I usually check and re-torque my lugs. Went to test the locking lug...it broke. Everything is fine for now because it is on tight but I want to be able to take it off.

Someone mentioned a wheel lock removal socket.

Obviously my key wont work anymore on this, any suggestions on where to get this socket? Seemed like several options out there but wasnt sure what really would work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts