Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I'm was planing on buying some aftermarket wheels for my 06 S trim Xterra, the problem is that I go down to Baja all the time, like 4 times a week.

My question is how durable are aftermarket wheels? Are they as strong as the OEM wheels? The reason I'm asking is because the roads down there suck ass, with potholes the size of lunar craters, some times there is no way to avoid them and you are going down the road at 40+ MPH. I haven't had any problems with the OEM wheels :)

So please let me know what you guys think. I'm looking into some granite alloy LK2H wheels, here are some pics: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...odel=Xterra+X+2wd&initialPartNumber=LK2420BML

Thanks!

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i think it depends on the style and brand of wheel you purchase. steelies made for offroad purposes will be strong enough to handle rough roads...wheels made to be flashy may not be as strong. either way, the wheels should be able to support the tire and weight of the vehicle first

·
on line
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
willgr1 said:
i think it depends on the style and brand of wheel you purchase. steelies made for offroad purposes will be strong enough to handle rough roads...wheels made to be flashy may not be as strong. either way, the wheels should be able to support the tire and weight of the vehicle first

What do you think about the wheels that I linked?

Thanks!

·
on line
3,218 Posts
I had the first set of ATX teflon Victor wheels for an X, and went through hell to get 'em. Two weeks after I got 'em and put 'em on, I was in CO for GOX-CC (Gathering of Xterras-Colorado Crossing). By the end of the journey (Denver to Ouray, 90% offroad) the wheels were scraped, gouged, and not nearly as pretty as when they went on. Knowing what I know now, the money would've been better spent on performance mods. Long story short, I think those wheels IMHO look like ass, and from what you've written, as to how you plan to use them, they're not worth the expense to buy and install, and they'll quickly lose their appeal, to you. Also, seems to me, they're a little flashy to be headed into a 3rd world country in a new vehicle. Like an invitation to either be robbed, or no, that's it, robbed.

·
on line
68 Posts
ionico said:
Hi guys!

I'm was planing on buying some aftermarket wheels for my 06 S trim Xterra, the problem is that I go down to Baja all the time, like 4 times a week.

My question is how durable are aftermarket wheels? Are they as strong as the OEM wheels? The reason I'm asking is because the roads down there suck ass, with potholes the size of lunar craters, some times there is no way to avoid them and you are going down the road at 40+ MPH. I haven't had any problems with the OEM wheels :)

So please let me know what you guys think. I'm looking into some granite alloy LK2H wheels, here are some pics: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...odel=Xterra+X+2wd&initialPartNumber=LK2420BML

Thanks!
If your looking for an aesthetic change to your vehicle, I'm sure a strong wheel can be found. If your looking for add'l durability, the stock wheel is very tough. Also, as most experienced Baja travelers eventually learn...if you can't avoid the potholes at 40, try 30, lol.
BTW, what roads are you traveling so often?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts