Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and have been doing tons of research on here about wheel bearing/hub replacement. The drivers side is completely shot! I have everything apart, the four bolts and the axle nut are off. It seems as if the splines are seized inside the hub. Ive used a 7 ton puller with no luck. Its separated from the knuckle itself, but it not going anywhere. Is their a snap ring or clip holding it in that i'm missing?

·
Registered
124 Posts
A bfh ( big f'in hammer)you and a crowbar will help separate the entire hub assembly from the steering knuckle. If you have been able to loosen the axle from the hub then it is just pulling the hub off. They can get quite seized. There are a few other threads on here about it. Hope this helps

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried putting the nut on and hammering. Screwed up the nut and dont want to jack up the axle. The outer race is out of the knuckle it's just seized together at the splines. If I use some heat to persuade it will it melt my CV boot?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I certainly hope not. I can't really see any physical damage yet. I know the bearing is bad because with the rotor and even the tire you can jiggle it around. How much and how hard is it for a half shaft replacement?

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
if the bearing was that bad, you may want to try heating the bearing/hub assembly and then hitting it with a hammer. You may have to replace the cv though depending on how hot you have to get it

new half shafts are ~$50-$70 ea. from rockauto.com. I'd imagine a local parts store would be close to that too

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Half shaft is easy to replace once you get it out of the hub. Just push it in a little and yank it out of the diff and pop the new one in.
So there isn't a c clip holding it in? Will I need to get gear oil to refill the diff? I may have to cut this thing out if I can't get them apart. I'm definetly still going to try heating and beating before anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
No, no clip. I just had mine replaced today and there was no clip. Just a 2 inch hammer (I just learned that hammer's weight is measured in inches) and a chisel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
what???? No they aren't - at least none that I've ever seen :scratch:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok guys I think I just experienced something a bit different and want to share. I ended up yanking the whole hub, CV and steering knuckle as a unit. I beat and beat with a 3 lbs sledge hammer and the mf'r didnt budge. Then I put the nut back on the wheel side to beat it out of the hub and turned it into a mushroom. At that point I went and picked up a re-manned CV and put it in along with the new hub/bearing and its smooth and quiet. I also wanted to thank you all for advice and pointers. Total time minus beating and scratching my head was maybe 1.5 hours and about $250 for parts from the local parts store.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts