Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am just adding front spacers and rearshackles, do I need an alignment?

I am trying to decide between the following: I do a little offroading - like once amonth - and I tow a tent trailer that is just under 2900lbs loaded.

Calamini Shackle Suspension Kit - Spacers and shackles - $229 at purenissan.com

Calamini AAL Suspension - spacers and add a leaf - $325 at purenissan.com

Should I add shackles and do the add a leaf? What is the advantage of this?

I have been trying to find the TopGUn SPacer and Deaver Mini Pack but haven't found it on the net.

any suggestions? Also, I am in Canada, so everything has to be shipped to me. No biggy as our $$ is almost par with the US now.hehe

·
on line
896 Posts
oops forgot about the alignment question, when I got my tires, Firestone has alignments for life for about $100. I would get an alignment if you have the larger tires. I would rather spend the $40-60 on a one time alignment, then $800 for new tires because they are wearing funny

·
on line
2,077 Posts
to answer your questions...

1. yes, you will need an alignment with any suspension modifications, you will throw off the camber, caster, toe, and it will need to be corrected so you're safe on the road and you tires don't wear un-evenly.

2. if you are planning on towing anything get the AAL...it will add more support to the leaf pack. Shackles if you don't plan on towing.

3. top gunz spacers are found on ebay, saw them up there earlier today.....deaver pack will be from prgproducts.com

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about the AAL and shackles? Is that worth doing? Is the Deaver Mini Pack basically an AAL? The Deaver is not shown on the PRG website.

Sorry about mispelling Calmini

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Deaver mini pack is like the AAL. If you want you can do the shackle with it, but it might give your truck a little too much rake. But if you like rake then go for it. Just make sure to extend your brake lines and buy longer shocks if you do.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rake?= what do you mean?
are longer shocks required for doing spacers?
What about just an AAL, are longer shocks needed? Or is ot the combo of the AAL and shackles?

Sorry for the questions, I am just learning about this.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just want a bit more height, clearance for the tires, and need to be a bit stiffer in the rear for towing the trailer

·
on line
3,218 Posts
I'd say go w/ both than.. Nothing wrong with that, as noted though, your truck rear may sit up a bit at first though, until the springs settle from pulling the trailer. You'll get stiffness for towing through the AALs, and bettter articulation from the shackles, but neither have anything to do with stuffing bigger tires. Body lift is how you do that..

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks DBAX.

So if I do both, I will need to extend my break line and get longer shocks in the rear only?

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how do I know if I also need the camber bolt kit for the alignment?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
you only need to get longer brake line if you buy extended shocks for the rear.....it's your choice, rear shocks will allow more articulation and travel, but you don't "need" them to do an AAL and shackle lift.

rake would simply be when the back end of the truck has more lift then the front, it will slant down...i have 2" radflos in the front and deavers and shackles in the back, so my back is about 1" taller, but it's not noticable at all from a side view.

you will likely need camber bolts when you install the lift, the alignment shop will likely not be able to properly align the vehicle without them....i originally did not need them, but i'm getting wear way too quickly on my outer edges, so i'm going to install mine soon and have the alignment redone....so, order them, they are good to have (if you get the deavers from prg, you can also get the camber bolts from them for $50.....you'll have to call to order, deavers are listed, but not much info on them, i don't really remember, but i think they ran me $170ish)

·
on line
3,218 Posts
rear shocks will allow more articulation and travel, but you don't "need" them to do an AAL and shackle lift.
w/ shackles and AAL, your shocks become the limitng factor if not adjusted for..

I think the camber bolts come w/ the Calmini lifts btw.. Been a while since I looked. Sounds like Wills setup's ideal. I prefer the rear springier w/ a little lift too. The ride's perfect when loaded down w/ whatnot.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
It is not needed to get the camber bolts if you go with a coilspacer.

And let me just say....

If you get an AAL and Shackle lift for the rear, it would be really silly not to get extended shocks... and in turn it would be silly not to get extended brake lines.

*this is just my opinion*

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the help. I have emailed purenissan for pricing on shipping for the AAL Suspension Kit (with spacers), the shackle kit and the camber bolts. If I don't need the camber bolts I won't order them.

Thanks Sexterra for the advice, I think I need to do the lift first, $440 for all the above, then get it installed. Changing the shocks is minor and I can do later.
Thanks again for the help.
Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts