Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed 1.5 wheel adapters on the front with my 285/75/16s. Now at full turn I am rubbing the rear part of my front fenders.

Ive heard that I can beat the fenders in for clearance. Now before I go out there and beat my truck with a hammer, does anyone that has done this before, have any suggestions on a delicate way to do this??

thanks

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
i think you need to cut them man. IMO you can cut them a lot cleaner than you can beat them with a hammer. I think when people beat it with a hammer, they are talking about that little pice behind the plastic, which isnt really the fender. time to get out the dremmel buddy.

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay. I just pulled the plastic back for a closer look. Im gonna start with a dremel and see how it goes. I guess I will need to cover the cut area with some bedliner or something to prevent rust. I will take some before and after pics.Thanks

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have done the melt mod. (At least the best I could). However, with this issue, there is a metal tab under the plastic that was giving me clearance issues.

I've had the 285s on for at least a year now without issue. Its when you add 1.5 inch wheel adapters you get this rubbing.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
If you attack the metal what will the plastic attach to?
if you look at the fender liner, where it screws into the fender (in the mud flap area) there are I think 3 screws, and then one underneath on the bottom. What I did when I trimmed my fenders, was I trimmed about 1-1.5 inches of the fender, between the bottom of the fender and the top of the 3 screws. I left that last (highest) screw tab on the bumper so I could screw the liner in there, and then on the bottom (underneath) the fender. This allowed it to still be secure.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I'm assuming that when you didn't have the wheel spacers on there was no rubbing, so your gonna have to trim abt a 1/4" because of the wider stance.
Idk if just 1/4" will do it...like I said I cut a sliver about 1-1.5" off mine. You have to think about also when it flexes off road...if you have the wheel turned you still don't want it to rub, but it will be pushing the tire up into the fender. Idk, I cut that much just to be safe and I've never had it rub once. If you're gonna cut it, you might as well cut it....na mean?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Idk if just 1/4" will do it...like I said I cut a sliver about 1-1.5" off mine. You have to think about also when it flexes off road...if you have the wheel turned you still don't want it to rub, but it will be pushing the tire up into the fender. Idk, I cut that much just to be safe and I've never had it rub once. If you're gonna cut it, you might as well cut it....na mean?
I took the safe/conservative route when I cut mine, and ended up cutting twice and a lot more the second time.. Go figure huh. LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
yeah, i ended up carving about 3" off mine. the spacers, wider wheels, and larger tires dug into the fender pretty well. What I did was cut around little tabs for where the screws attach. I then bent in the tabs to give the screws a place to attach.

Picture a gear and the teeth are the screw mounting points.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
yeah, i ended up carving about 3" off mine. the spacers, wider wheels, and larger tires dug into the fender pretty well. What I did was cut around little tabs for where the screws attach. I then bent in the tabs to give the screws a place to attach.

Picture a gear and the teeth are the screw mounting points.
thats very smart...I thought of doing that AFTER i hacked mine off lol

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
thats very smart...I thought of doing that AFTER i hacked mine off lol
i didn't think of it. somebody on here told me what to do! i'm not that smart.

it took me at least 30 minutes and 15 dremel wheels on the driver side.
it took me less than 5 minutes with a 4" cutoff wheel/grinder on the pass side.

can't tell a difference.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have done the melt mod. (At least the best I could). However, with this issue, there is a metal tab under the plastic that was giving me clearance issues.

I've had the 285s on for at least a year now without issue. Its when you add 1.5 inch wheel adapters you get this rubbing.
Aha. I get it now. Sorry for dumba** comment :banghead:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts