Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, it finally took a crap on me. Diff went out a couple of miles from the dealership.
Started out whining, and then *clunk* *clunk* *clunk* when turning a corner.
I hobbled it into the dealership and there it sits.

2006 OR, manual tranny, with 106k miles. Guess I can't really complain.

I'm sure they won't look at it until Monday, but I thought I'd ask for thoughts on what I am gong to have to spend on this.

Not a good day...

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Well guys, it finally took a crap on me. Diff went out a couple of miles from the dealership.
Started out whining, and then *clunk* *clunk* *clunk* when turning a corner.
I hobbled it into the dealership and there it sits.

2006 OR, manual tranny, with 106k miles. Guess I can't really complain.

I'm sure they won't look at it until Monday, but I thought I'd ask for thoughts on what I am gong to have to spend on this.

Not a good day...
Tow it away from the dealer!!!!

Easy case: just bearings are bad; regardless dealer will only sell/replace whole axle

Bad case: spider gears blew; regardless dealer will only sell/replace whole axle

Reality: axle can be rebuilt.

Can be a Low $300+labor to high $1500+ labor job, but Nissan will tell you $3500+

Nissan doesn't sell the bearings or OR E-locker individually, but you can buy the bearing kit, and e-locker, or better yet ARB air locker from Steve at Rugged Rocks. From there, have a true gear/axle shop rebuild it for you. This can be done for much cheaper than the dealers big band-aid "buy a whole $3500 axle" method.

Feel free to message me personally. I worked as an ASE Master Tech for many years
during which I've rebuilt many, many axles; and I've had my own 2005 OR model blow the rear end, which I then rebuilt myself.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wow sorry to hear that. I would agree, find a good shop and take it there. The dealer will probably charge you dearly for the pleasure, and find 10 other things that need "attention"

Not to steal the thread, but is this a common failure on the elocker rear ends? anything to prevent/prolong it?

·
on line
2,362 Posts
Find a used rear axle from an '08 and newer Xterra 6MT off-road or Pro4x and put that in.
It has the improved differential and the correct ratio.

From your noise description you have broken bits of metal that have damaged every moving part, the expensive rebuilt. Clunking in a corner says teeth have failed. The correct ring and pinion are next to impossible to find and an ARB locker is easier to find but still going to cost a grand.

The '05 to '07 off-road has a locker that has 2 spider gears. '08 and newer get 4-spider gear lockers that don't have the issues that the early ones do. I recall that the axle shafts also got a little update as well, so best to just get a whole rear end from a wrecking yard.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A 4X4 or tranny/dif shop will usually have much more experience than dealership for these type of repairs. Talk to one before you commit to anything at dealership. New will cost small fortune, used swap probably best bet but being a manual, dif with proper ratio will be scarce.

·
on line
283 Posts
Well sorry to hear that you have to replace your rear diff/axle.My entire rear axle was replaced by the dealer at 76k. It got to a point where you could hear my truck a 1000 feet away from the gear whine.So they initially gave me a quote for $2300 to replace with a new axle. At that point I told the service manager I was willing to work with them knowing fully that my truck was out of warranty. The local service rep made a deal with me if I paid for the labor Nissan would give me a new rear axle. All told it cost me around $275 + $35 ror a rental car.So say what you want about a Nissan and Classic Nissan in Streetsboro. To the original poster..did you ever replace the diff fluid ever? Nissan will probably won't do anything since the truck is 8 years old but it doesn't hurt to ask to see what Nissan can do for you. Dan

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, guys. I took your advice and had it towed from the dealer to a local transmission shop that has a pretty good reputation here in Indy. I made sure that they could get parts for it and they assured me it was something that they could repair or replace cheaper than the dealership. They'll get their hands on it on Monday morning.

Parts for Xterras are very hard to come by around here, especially late model ones. Not sure why, but I remember going through this when I was simply trying to find a wheel to replace the full-sized spare. Since I have an OR model, it makes it even harder.

Is there a matching 08 Frontier version that will work as well?

·
on line
2,362 Posts
Is there a matching 08 Frontier version that will work as well?
It is NOT a bolt in. Different spring attachment. Frontier springs is on top of the axle, Xterra is under the axle. Shops that also do a little fabrication work can do it no problem, but many shops are parts swappers and would probably butcher the project (bad angles, warped tubes, destroy more then they fix). A good transmission shop does not mean they are a good fab shop.

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$1800.

Shop is installing a "remanufactured unit" and assures me it will be better than the original diff that was on the truck. Old one was destroyed on the inside.

Not sure if I believe them, but I have a 6 month, 6000 mile warranty to figure it out.

Hopefully it will be done by the end of this week.

Stay tuned....

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, guys. Another question that I am scared to death to ask.

The transmission place that has my 2006 OR ordered a "remanfactured" differential to put in my truck.
I am assured it will be better than what was on there, originally.
Not sure how that's possible, but whatever.

My question is; the locker that is unique to the OR model - will that still be intact, or does it completely depend on the diff they order?

I've only used the diff lock maybe two times over the life of the truck, but it's nice to know it's there.

Worried...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
You will have to ask them. They should be ordering a matching differential for you, which means your e locker will still work. If they warranty their work, i doubt you have anything to worry about. But to be 100% sure you should talk to them about it and when you get the truck back, test the e locker to make sure everything works the way it should.

·
on line
1,656 Posts
That is a bummer to hear about the diff. What shop did you take it to and were you able to find out if they got you an 08+ 4 pinion? If you need a hand with something I'm local.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I would ask that they open the diff and show you the internals on the "re-manufactured" one that they are getting. You will be able to tell which locker it has by looking at the number of side gears (spider gears) it has. I'll see if I can find some pics. Also you can get a real nice 08+ axle for around $1200-1600 from a LKQ, they all ship.

Edit: Here you go:

This guy has a locker, but IDK what version and it clicks which makes me assume the side gears are shot and you cannot buy replacements. You have to buy the whole unit.
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90074

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is a bummer to hear about the diff. What shop did you take it to and were you able to find out if they got you an 08+ 4 pinion? If you need a hand with something I'm local.
I have it at the Edwards Transmissions on N. Michigan Rd.
It was that or AAMCO. I've not had good experiences at AAMCO in the past, so hopefully Edward's knows what they are doing. I am starting to wonder....

1 - 20 of 92 Posts