Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I'm not sure what to do...

Picture this...a 2013 Pro-4X, fully loaded, sitting on a dealer's lot for a LONG time and hasn't even been test driven (only has 5 miles on it).

I went in and spoke to them today...could have driven it off the lot right then and there, but they were only willing to go $500 below sticker...I countered with requesting remote start and running boards...he said yes immediately to the remote start and no to the running boards. I'm thinking about going back with running boards (need to decide which ones and will show price), tint, window visors, and another $500 off...what would you do??

I would be ecstatic with getting everything I've mentioned...and I CAN walk away from the deal...just not sure what's "realistic"...

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Manual or auto trans? you can negotiate more with an auto because there are a lot more of them than manuals.
you should be able to get between 2,000-5,000 off sticker if you catch them at the right time. xterras are slow sellers and Nissan gives a lot of incentives to help push them. check out truecar.com I hear they are very good.

I got my 2012 xterra in march of 2012. I bought an S model for about 4,000 off sticker, and I could have bought a pro4x for about 2,000 off sticker.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I'm from CT as well. What dealership did you go to? (I bought mine from Middletown Nissan, and it was a good experience.)

$500 below sticker on a 2013 doesn't sound like too great of a deal at all. Its a left over from 2013 and unless PRO-4xs are somehow in high demand (they aren't at least not around here), they should be more like $500 under invoice.

As for the add-ons you are requesting they aren't too much in terms of cost. Tint is about $150 in the area. Remote starters are $300 - $400 installed and running boards are $200 off ebay (or free from members on this site) and you can easily put those on yourself.

I like edmunds true market value calculator. I've found it pretty good for calculating what I should expect to pay. http://www.edmunds.com/tmv.html

I'm unsure how optioned out the PRO-4X you are looking at is, but they start at a sticker of $31,350 w/an invoice of $29,713. According to Edmunds most transactions are $29,607 - or about $100 under invoice. This would be BEFORE any incentives. A quick look at Nissan's site only shows incentives on the 2014s (there may be some on the 2013) and they aren't as good as they usually are - with only 1.9% financing for 36 months.

At least from what I have seen, Nissan does their best incentives in Q1. If you had bought just last week (in March) I heard Nissan ads all over the radio for $2500 cash back. Here's a typical incentive (one that I posted last year): http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61275

For reference I bought my X for $500 UNDER invoice + Nissan incentives, which at the time were $3500 cash back and 1.9% for 60 months OR 0% financing. This was from Middletown Nissan, but back in 2010. I have yet to see $3500 off again, but $2500 pops up and better financing as well (0% or 1.9% for longer terms).

Lastly another new car buying option I've used is the 'order me a car' approach. I've occasionally done well with this (bought my X this way, and a G35). Basically I tell the dealership you have a guaranteed sale at 'X' price and if they feel they can sell what's on their lot for more, that's fine. I'm willing to wait, just order me one and have an extra sale. Sell your lot car to someone who's willing to pay more and have two sales. Though for you, I would think they would be looking to unload that 2013 off the lot, seeing as its last years model.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
$500 off is a little lowball. I swiped my SE for $5000 off sticker - it had been out of the factory just three months with 13 miles. Also happened to be the end of the month AND quarter, so the dealership was probably going to sell me the X no matter what.

Don't worry about step rails - you can snag those off any member here (sometimes for free).

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Keep in mind, even though its New, it’s already a year old. Soon as you drive it off the lot the trade in value will be $23.500 According to KBB. If something happens to it and insurance needs to pay it off the retail value would only be $27,500. (numbers are based on just standard Pro-4X, no leather or tow)

They would have to do a lot better than $500 off sticker for that to be worth it.

·
on line
2,362 Posts
If that's the best deal they will make, they will have a brand new '13 for sale in '15 as well.
$500 off sticker is nothing.
You should be able to get a better deal then that on a new '14.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I would say hold off. I picked up my leftover 2011 S model in June 2012 for $22k. The only person who test drove mine was me. I drove it off the lot with 7 miles on it. You should be able to find a better price even if you have to drive a little bit of an extra distance it locate one.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am going to assume by your username that you're a woman. If not i appologise. If you are a woman and have a husband/fiance/boyfriend (even a friend would work) i would have him go with you and negotiate. I hate to say it but it has been historically proven that sexism is rampant in the business world. Also dont be afraid to walk away, if they say they wont go any lower just shake their hand and start walking. Another good strategy is to contact other dealerships with the same X and try to get a bidding war going on between the two (in essence they need you but you do NOT need them).
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do shop around, we have a number of dealers with in 1/2 hour drive. At worse you'll know the going rate for the area and the options available sitting on the local lots. $500 under sticker sounds way too much.

Personally I slipped up into West Springfield for mine. It was a slight pain in the rear as I wanted to keep my same CT plates, but with me being north of Hartford it was worth it. I've had my warrantee work done in Enfield with no problems.

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
They're trying to crush you. $500 over invoice on a current model year is an okay deal but $500 under sticker on a leftover? I would be insulted and walk away. Find another dealer and another X. Or get another dealer to buy the vehicle from the one you visited and you may get a better price. When we shopped for the wife's Sedona we found a leftover 07 she liked (it was 2008). Dealer took only like $1000 of sticker. I said we'll think about it. Looked online found KIA was giving $3000 rebate for owners of competitors vehicles plus other rebates on the 07's . Was PO'ed dealer tried to screw us so went to another KIA dealer, found a similar 07 . I iinquired about the rebates, dealer looked them up and said we qualified. They also dropped the price and we drove off in a new Sedona paying about $13k less than sticker with trade and rebates. Got them to throw in all weather mats too.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I'm not sure what to do...

Picture this...a 2013 Pro-4X, fully loaded, sitting on a dealer's lot for a LONG time and hasn't even been test driven (only has 5 miles on it).

I went in and spoke to them today...could have driven it off the lot right then and there, but they were only willing to go $500 below sticker...I countered with requesting remote start and running boards...he said yes immediately to the remote start and no to the running boards. I'm thinking about going back with running boards (need to decide which ones and will show price), tint, window visors, and another $500 off...what would you do??

I would be ecstatic with getting everything I've mentioned...and I CAN walk away from the deal...just not sure what's "realistic"...

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am currently considering trading in my 2010 Offroad I purchased in September.
I have been talking with 2 different dealerships. I was quoted the following:

2014 Arctic White Pro-4x
Auto
Leather
Nav

Vehicle Price: $30,589
Trade In: $14k
Payoff: $12100.
Tax/Tag: $424
OTD: $29,113
(The dealer is willing to swap my new Duratrec tires on to the new wheels and install the Nevada Towing Package on the new truck for free with purchase.)

I generally think it's a fair deal. I emailed the other local dealer with these numbers and I am waiting to see if they can match or beat this deal.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You can definitely barter the price of previous year X's. I bought my 2012 Xterra X trim 4wd, yes I know but all i wanted was the 4x4, last march. Sticker was 27,500 and I walked out the door paying 20,500. Be consistent and they'll cave eventually.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Its a fair deal. They are giving you a decent deal on the PRO-4X, considering it has a Nav on it and they are willing to throw in some free labor.

The trade in qoute is fair, unsure what your miles are on a 2010, but trade in could be more like $15k to $16k.

Its an OK deal. You could maybe get a PRO-4X w/nav for $1k less and maybe luck out and get $1k more for your trade somewhere. (For $2k net to you.)

But if you aren't in a rush, I would wait until Nissan is offering incentives again.

I am currently considering trading in my 2010 Offroad I purchased in September.
I have been talking with 2 different dealerships. I was quoted the following:

2014 Arctic White Pro-4x
Auto
Leather
Nav

Vehicle Price: $30,589
Trade In: $14k
Payoff: $12100.
Tax/Tag: $424
OTD: $29,113
(The dealer is willing to swap my new Duratrec tires on to the new wheels and install the Nevada Towing Package on the new truck for free with purchase.)

I generally think it's a fair deal. I emailed the other local dealer with these numbers and I am waiting to see if they can match or beat this deal.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Why anyone would go into a dealer to buy a new car is beyond me. Use one of the many on-line purchasing services. Truecar worked great for me, but I have heard edmunds, I think consumer reports has one also. Put in exactly what you want right down to every option and color, you get a quote. Its free to you, the quote is binding. walk in, pay, leave. All large dealers now have a online sales department, and they have way more flexibility on price than the sales people that take walk ins, since they know they are competing in an on-line market.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Depending on how well you negotiate you can get a better deal in person. I know people who walk in and pay what the sticker says (dumb and rich), but i myself will spend days and even weeks talking to the dealership and looking for better deals other places to convince them to lower their price.

Same goes for used cars if they have price on a car it is well above their buying price. I believe most used dealers have profit margins in the 100's of % meaning 200-300% markup from what they pay

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You can still get a better deal in person by fighting it out with the dealer. You can never be sure you got the best deal. By researching invoice price etc you know you are getting a good deal. Takes 10 minutes on edmunds.com

Why anyone would go into a dealer to buy a new car is beyond me. Use one of the many on-line purchasing services. Truecar worked great for me, but I have heard edmunds, I think consumer reports has one also. Put in exactly what you want right down to every option and color, you get a quote. Its free to you, the quote is binding. walk in, pay, leave. All large dealers now have a online sales department, and they have way more flexibility on price than the sales people that take walk ins, since they know they are competing in an on-line market.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts

Having been the internet mgr of three different dealerships, I can tell you that most of those services will give you a fair deal, but you are better off contacting the local dealers internet dept and tell them what you are doing. Works like a charm. People used to do it to me so that's what I so now when I buy a car. I got paid off of the units sold, not gross so I would do what it takes to make a deal. I reported to the GM and we worked a lot of crazy deals.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 26 Posts