Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to get one of those "canned" recovery bags, but wanted to get some input from more experienced wheels on what one would REALLY need. What are some of the necessities that one would need, or what is in YOUR bag???

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Are you looking specifically at recovery gear, or do you want emergency gear as well?

Do you have a winch?

For recovery;

30'x3" Recovery Strap (no hooks)
Tree saver
2 3/4" D-ring shackles
Hi-Lift Jack
Hi-Lift off-road base (or piece of 12"x12" wood)
Leather gloves
8'x8' tarp
Towel
1/2" wood dowel rod (or a random stick found on the trail) incase you need to hook two straps together.
Flashlight (with spare batteries)
Shovel

If you include tools as recovery gear.
Complete set of 1/2" drive sockets
Ratchet
Breaker Bar
Set of combination wrenches
two crescent wrenches (large and small)
BFH (Big f'in hammer)
Screwdriver set
Small prybar
Plier set (needle nose, slip joint, channel locks, diagonal cutters).
Multi-Meter (volt meter)
Duct Tape
JB Weld (water proof)
Electrical tape
Zip Ties (Assorted sizes)

That is what I carry (plus other stuff that I can't think of right now).

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well both, just wanted to get a consensus of what everyone was carrying, and I'm sad to say no winch (yet)

·
on line
13,466 Posts

·
on line
853 Posts
In addition to much of the other stuff others have listed, I keep a folding tree saw (small Sven saw) and a hatchet, although I probably won't need them much in the So Cal deserts. They live in the rear storage compartment so they're out of the way. Always carry at least one shovel and a couple of lengths of 2x12 that live in the roof bin along with a set of traction mats.

It probably goes without saying, but it's not a bad idea to have a few days worth of food and water, and some basic camping equipment at all times, even if you're only out on a day trip.

In addition to a hand-held flashlight, a head lamp can be really handy.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
It probably goes without saying, but it's not a bad idea to have a few days worth of food and water, and some basic camping equipment at all times, even if you're only out on a day trip.
There's no better food source than a jar of peanut butter. Massive calorie/weigh ratio and, unlike most "emergency" foods, you'll actually enjoy eating it. Dirt cheap too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts