Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just put high grade into my X. I got better gas milage and it seems like some engine noises are quieter. Could be that I am just crazy but I am deff getting better milage.
I usually use the cheapest stuff 87 I guess is what it is. I just put 93 in the other day.

Does anyone have a diesel X or maybe even CNG ?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
The first year I had mine, I put in 89. Since, I've put in the recommended 87 and haven't noticed any difference at all in performance or mileage, but that's just me. I think the only guy on here with a diesel X was a guy with a 1st Gen in Brazil or something, If I remember right.

·
on line
371 Posts
I always use 87 because it's cheaper and the X runs fine on it.
But I will agree with you - when I occasionally put 89 or higher in there, I notice a difference immediately in power and later in gas mileage.

It's a noticeable difference, but not worth the extra cost, IMHO.

·
on line
515 Posts
FWIW, the Nissan Pathfinder (same engine, but must be different ECU) recommends "91 Octane for best performance" but the owners manual says that it will run fine on 87.

We've run our '08 on 87 pretty much its whole life with no issues. If I tow with it, I run 93.

All modern engines have knock sensors, and will slowly 'learn' how much to pull back ignition to keep them from going off. My guess is that the ECU in the Pathfinder allows for a more advanced ignition timing when the right fuel is there than the X, but you may still see some limited benefit on the X.

The VQ40 in our '08 Pathfinder is rated at 266 hp, 288 ft-lb torque, our Xs are rated at 261/281 (from '08 on) - a noticeable difference that is cancelled out by the increased weight of the Pathfinder. You may find different numbers pre-2007 - remember they re-did a lot of power ratings for Japanese cars.

In the real world perception is everything. I think our Pathfinder 'feels' faster than my X, it is running the base 245/75R16 tire vs. my 265/70R17s. My wife (who drives my X to work, so I have the Pathy to haul the kids around) swears the Xterra is faster...

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I use regular 99% of the time. I did get slightly better mpg with 89 but I usually only get that grade when visiting DE as the satation gives X cents off with a car wash and I do that sometimes.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I've run 87 all the time except when towing the camper. I run 93 then. Not sure of a difference but figure it can't hurt.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm at 5000' and using 87, banging 20 mpg sans mudflaps. Towin' my Quad
on a 5X10 tilt trailer I'll drop to 18.5 Found higher octanes a waste of money.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm tuned to 93 octane so that is what I run when at sea level. When I am home at high altitude I run ethanol free 91 octane while still tuned to 93 octane since the air is thinner and the engine runs too rich otherwise.

When the truck was stock I ran 91 octane all the time and the truck preferred it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts