Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking to see what trail book everyone is using. I've been using Guide to Northern California back roads and 4wheel drive trails. But what are the other ones?
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
14,613 Posts

By massey and wilson

and these

Guides to Backroads & 4WD Trails GrnChk.gif (238 bytes)
Best selling, well organized, up-to-date, illustrated trail Guides by Charles Wells. Detailed trail descriptions, maps, GPS waypoints and hundreds of photographs cover spectacular backroads and four-wheel- drive trails.
Arizona, Southern California, Northern California, Colorado, Moab, Utah

http://4x4books.com/4wdat.htm

Some come with ring binders instead of spine
makes it easier to use on the trail

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Using the Massey and the Wells books that Chris called out. Great guides. There is also Sidekick Off Road DVDs and maps. www.sidekickoffroad.com

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
I use:

Charles A. Wells, Guide to Northern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails (2004),

Massey & Wilson, Backcountry Adventures-Northern California (2002), [There is a newer 2006 edition; I bought my 2002 edition at a garage sale for 50 cents and haven't found a good reason to "upgrade" to the 2006 edition - the revisions are minor.]

Rick Russell's "Off Highway Adventure Series" videos and "Sidekick" maps,

and also U.S. Forest Service maps and USGS topo maps.

www.trails.com also has some good information for vehicular trails even though its focus is primarily hiking trails. You can get a free 14-day trial subscription, but be sure to cancel in time if you don't want to continue because they will charge your credit card.

Both Wells and Massey & Wilson are a bit outdated as some of the trails have been gated and locked since the books went to print, but both are still useful tools as long as you confirm that the trails you want to run are still open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts