Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some reading in the suspension forums and im very new to lifting trucks and all that (previous car nissan 1992 300zx twin turbo) So question is what to do frist. I was reading about the shackle and spacer kits from Calmini. Will be doing some offoading Minor for now but hopfully get into some alittle more advanced trails as i learn.

Thanks!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
What to do first??

That is an impossible question! If you are doing minor offroading then I would suggest tires. some people might say get sliders first... but in my opinion, since you have very little offroading experience you wont be doing enough stuff to damage your rocker pannels. and by your avatar I see you like the mud.

My final answer is Firestone Destination M/T in either 285/75/16 with the melt mod... or in 265/75/16 (to save a little on gas)

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Cool then...it depends on your off roading habits and budget, most of all. I started off w/ the 2" spacers in the front and the Deaver AAL and Bilstein 5125 shocks in the rear (all from PRG). I put the NISMO/OR Bilstein shocks up front that I got off of a Frontier guy.

I have since then, recently upgraded to PRG UCA's and Radflo coilovers up front. I will in the somewhat near future be going w/ a full leaf replacement pack from Alcan or Deaver AND maybe some PRG shackles, too.

·
on line
1,054 Posts
sliders first, tires second..

even in light wheeling a small mistake can cause damage to the rocker, a rocker is a pretty expensive thing to have repaired.

·
on line
704 Posts
Clear bra on the hood and lower door panels.
Sliders.
Tires.
Skids for the belly.

With the setup listed above Xterra is capable and protected! It will be enough for mild wheeling and nothing will damage your factory warranty. Then it is up to you what to do... I would get PRG Coils + UCA for the front and something like Deaver AAL or Alcan springs for the back. Let me put it this way: If you do something, do it right. How many people on this board went with a minor lift and then moved to PRG stuff?

Lose those factory rails too :)

·
on line
2,540 Posts
ProjectX said:
sliders first, tires second..

even in light wheeling a small mistake can cause damage to the rocker, a rocker is a pretty expensive thing to have repaired.
I agree with this 100% as my last X I got the tires and all that and what did I do, I ended up hitting the rocker panels. Getting sliders was my next mod and was the first mod I did on my new X.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I agree with sliders first. Tires are the single best upgrade you can do, but even the mildest wheeling can ruin your day when you hit the rocker off a rock or ledge.

·
on line
366 Posts
Yeah, I think sliders are probably a good idea too. That was my first mod, but I'm not sure if I've actually hit anything with them yet.

What model do you have? The OR skids/tires might get you by for a while if you're doing mild wheeling. (I still have the stock skids/tires)

·
on line
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. Got my tires today BFG AT's 265/75/16 i like them give alittle more aggressive look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts