Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, sorry for all these n00b bombardings!

I just got an offer from a dealer for a 2008 Xterra Off-Road 6MT. The offer is $25,553+TTL. The invoice price, according to Edmunds.com, is $24,675. My color preferences are Solar Yellow and Silver Lightning. He checked the entire Dallas area and none of the dealers have it. The closest one is in Houston. He presented me with two options:

1. Order one through them. The wait is up to 45 days. I would be driving my current car until then and trade-it in when the X gets in. I would lose 45 days of value on my current car ('04 CR-V EX).

2. Have them get one from Houston. I'd have to pay the asking price + $150 transfer charge. I could have the vehicle this weekend but the vehicle would already have whatever test miles + miles between Houston and Dallas.

I really don't want to wait 45 days plus I also don't want other people driving my brand new car.

What to do? :(

·
on line
2,077 Posts
have you checked other dealerships? one might have a shipment of new Xs coming in soon. also, you can get a better price than that, you should be able to get them down to invoice atleast. also, have you considered an end of year 07? you would still get a new car and pay a new thousand less.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Yeah, I would say keep searching.

If all else fails, have them lock in your trade in cost and put in in writing now. I would be worried about some dealer dude driving your X at constant Interstate speeds during the break in period...not a good idea IMO.

Have you emailed dealerships in your area? If you know what you want and the color, send an email to everyone with in 100 mile radius or however far you are willing to drive to get your X and take the top 3 offers and work on them to get the price lower. I got offers varying by 3500 initially for the same vehicle (there was only 1 6spd night armor in the area) This is what several on the board did including me and we all got pretty good deals.

Ended up with a Granite one at an even better price than the night armor one.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Aprox. $6oo bucks LESS for a color you don't prefer and an Auto xmission--

--All X's have tinted glass and cargo covers are a dime a dozen--

--So, I don't see any problem , unless all you want to do is buy something right now, if you want "YOUR CHOICE"--Hold out--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
15,651 Posts
mcampana said:
Do you really want the OR? Are you going to upgrade/mod the truck? If so get the X model, i did, and i spent the money i saved on a butt load of cool stuff!
Yeah, but you still don't have a rear locker. :)

·
on line
516 Posts
sherpa said:
mcampana said:
Do you really want the OR? Are you going to upgrade/mod the truck? If so get the X model, i did, and i spent the money i saved on a butt load of cool stuff!
I do really want the OR. :)
I noticed one offer has the manual trans. and the other is auto.

IMO the Manual tranny increases the Fun Factor. And really keeps the driver involved with the driving experience (in a good way).

I also agree with the others. Shop around by phone and internet.

If it were me looking to buy - I wouldn't mind driving out of town to get the X, that I want.

Lastly. The factory tint on the front side driver/passenger windows is very little (almost clear). I had the dealer add tint to those windows; matching the other side view windows. And double the tint on the rear glass. But just about any auto glass shop can do this; for some it's a do it yourself job too.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
mcampana said:
I dont want the rear locker. Exterra racer, racing? Whatever, or Loyd said it best, they sshaved down the rear gear to fit the locker = weaker.
Eh, I'll keep replacing diffs. Not sure I could get away without the locker. :)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
No, it's true, it appears that the diff in the M226 is weaker than the C200. But there are places I have taken the X that I wouldn't have got without the locker. Some of the time it's just for fun (ie an optional obstacle) but other's it's a trail I would have never made it through without help (and I don't like help). :)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I got a winch too and I had to actually use it to get myself out of a situation a couple weeks ago. First time that it was actually needed. :)

·
on line
82 Posts
I just came from a vehicle with a manual. My X is auto. If you do city driving Monday-Friday, epsecially in a big city, a manual is silly IMO.

·
on line
516 Posts
mfenske said:
I just came from a vehicle with a manual. My X is auto. If you do city driving Monday-Friday, epsecially in a big city, a manual is silly IMO.
I live in New York City and drive daily - love the manual. I guess its really a matter of taste then.

I don't mind the stop & go in traffic. I actually think the manual trans gives me an edge when I really want to go quick. Rev Rev drop the clutch....C'ya; VDC is off when I really mean business.

The only downside I can think of is that I have to take my {right} hand out of my girlfriend's lap or off her breast to shift gears. She's used to it and stays clear of my {right} hand whenever the light turns green.

For me shifting thru the gears is like walking - I don't think about it - I just do it.

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
highTech said:
mfenske said:
I.........
The only downside I can think of is that I have to take my {right} hand out of my girlfriend's lap or off her breast to shift gears. She's used to it and stays clear of my {right} hand whenever the light turns green......
Amen to that! Currently, I drive an automatic car until I get my Xterra, so, my right-hand is always on my girl's lap and sometimes on her *****. :D

·
on line
704 Posts
I drive a stick shift in an highly populated area (SF Bay). I love it on the street and on long slopes. Rocks are a little problematic, but I am getting there. If you choose gearing correctly you can get 20+ mpg on highway w/o issues.

·
on line
250 Posts
I agree with HighTech on all points :bounce: . The engine has enough torque that I can drive around the highways around Houston all day without shifting out of 6th gear as long as the traffic speed stays above 30mph and I am not racing anyone. This includes going through highway interchanges. I only have to shift when I get off the highway.

Do you really need an 08? Would an 07 be acceptable to you? Go to the Nissan USA web site and check all the dealerships within a reasonable distance. I just bought an 06 with only delivery miles a couple of months ago for $6k off the MSRP. At the time, there was an unsold 06 with the 6-speed in Denton, just north of you. In total, I found about 2 to 3 dozen unsold 06's in Texas and in neighboring states. The bus ticket to go pick it up and the gas to drive it back to Houston would have been worth the savings.

There were about two dozen 07 X's at the dealership when I bought my 06. I would imagine it should not be hard to find a bunch of 07's at this time.

Do your homework. Have a bunch of alternative vehicles printed out. Go into the dealership two or three business days before the end of the month and show them to the alternatives. Don't believe the BS about them losing money. The vehicle I bought helped the dealership meet a sales quota so they got a bonus. With the way the financial markets are, the sales managers are probably screaming at the salesmen to move the vehicles any way they can.

Phil

1 - 20 of 28 Posts