Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have some time this week and the weather is nice. Wanting to wrench on the X but not sure what I should do. Just did the oil, trans fluid, diffs, and transfer case fluid. In the past 6 months I also did the plugs, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, axle seals, all blubs, front coil overs with spacer lift, rear shocks and leaf springs, tires, and steering bushings.

What are some preventative maintenance tips and/or jobs to get after? Maybe upgrade brakes? Paint sunfaded plastics? Coolant flush? Open to ideas! BTW its a 2011 Pro4X with 158,xxx on it. I am 2nd owner and its running absolutely fantastic!

Not looking to spend too much this week, sub $500 parts bill works for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If they haven't already been replaced, the crank and cam sensors are a good place to start. Use only OEM according to others on this forum.
Also change the coolant and hoses if they have not already been changed, and in particular the two hoses with plastic valves near the firewall which tend to crumble. There are aftermarket metal replacements which should avoid that problem.
Otherwise, enjoy!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
All the hoses - heater hoses, etc. The lot of them will run you around $100

Mechanical wear parts come to mind. U Joints - pretty cheap to do actually, and all 3 will need replacing eventually. Front wheel bearing failures are pretty common but they will get pretty close to finishing your budget..

Coolant is definitely something to change if you haven't. While your at it - Your rad is 10 years old as well - it plus hoses and T stat are like $200

I recently did my fuel pump using the trap door method. I decided to do so on mine because its one of those things that when it goes there is no warning and leaves you stranded.

·
Registered
561 Posts
.... Front wheel bearing failures are pretty common but they will get pretty close to finishing your budget..
This is where I would start if seeking to be pro-active/preemptive, though idn88, as usual, makes several good suggestions. Go OEM spec for the WBHA, e.g., TIMKEN SP450701 from RockAuto.com.

Of course, you could drive north, sneak past the US-Canada border and then come and help me finish fixing stuff on my '06 Xterra. Do not leave your X unlocked, I might try to steal it. :cool:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If they haven't already been replaced, the crank and cam sensors are a good place to start. Use only OEM according to others on this forum.
Also change the coolant and hoses if they have not already been changed, and in particular the two hoses with plastic valves near the firewall which tend to crumble. There are aftermarket metal replacements which should avoid that problem.
Otherwise, enjoy!
Metal replacements, eh?
TIme to research! I had one fail on a road trip. Luckily, it was the one that's easy to bypass. I figured the one right next to it is probably not far behind.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ooooooh....White X with black wheels...I've been contemplating doing that to my wheels. But I was trying to visualize it. It looks great!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ooooooh....White X with black wheels...I've been contemplating doing that to my wheels. But I was trying to visualize it. It looks great!!!
Thanks mate! I like the high contrast with white and black on the X.
Rattlecan gloss black worked amazingly well. Wheels off the car, good prep and patience...came out great. Highly recommend it

·
Registered
44 Posts
Metal replacements, eh?
TIme to research! I had one fail on a road trip. Luckily, it was the one that's easy to bypass. I figured the one right next to it is probably not far behind.
Z1 offroad has one of them. I had already replaced the second one with OEM so I didn't save the info on that metal replacement. Sorry!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Z1 offroad has one of them. I had already replaced the second one with OEM so I didn't save the info on that metal replacement. Sorry!
Thanks, I didn't know about that company!

I found this one. It is what busted on mine, and I realized it served no purpose since OEM got rid of the bleeder... so I just took it out and put hose straight to fire wall (road side repair).

They have this OEM heater outlet, but it looks like the plastic is mated to the metal tubing portion without a hose/clamp. Might be replaceable with just be a simple T or Y connection... but doesn't really look like it. Guess I'll just tear into it one day then hunt the part while its off. I'm not afraid to flare a tube if needed (my V8 swapped S10 is a fully cobbled together coolant system lol)

Though I'm looking through this thread, and the links in it now...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts