Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have the Shrockworks skids plates and sliders. I noticed the stock front skid plate that attaches to the bumper no longer fits with the Shrockworks stuff on. I noticed I can flex the stock bumper with my hand now that it isn't attached to the skid plate.

Is there any way to get the stock front skid plate to work with the other Shrock skid plates?

I know Shrock sells a skid plate for people the stock bumper, but I do plan on ordering his bumper even if takes a few more years. So it doesn't make much sense to order that plate when I will order the front bumper.

Many of you already have the Shrockworks bumper, but maybe you got the skids first and had to run without for a while. What did you do? I am just worried about how flexible the bumper is without any support, the pressure from driving will be able to flex it and that can't be good for it.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
The skid plate comes in the same box as your bumper. When you order a bumper, it's automatically included, and would even be powder coated the same as your bumper.

·
on line
238 Posts
I had the skids for a while before getting my bumper. What I did was bought the front skid from Shrockworks to replace that chinsey stock one. I really didn't expect to get the front bumper any time soon. But, fate would have it that I got the bumper only 3-4 months after I got the replacement front skid. I sold the front skid (the one for use with the stock bumper) and only took a small $ loss.

It really is worth it to have a quality front skid up there even if you are going to relpace it a little later. I saw a mark on it when I removed it that probably would have mamed the stock one. It's cheap insurance against heavier damage.

I'd say get the Shrock front skid and sell it later when/if you get the bumper.

Front skid for use with stock bumper:
http://www.shrockworks.com/Gen2-Front-Radiator-Skid-Plate-Xterra-&-Frontier-pr-16178.html

Oh, and don't run without any front skid as the radiator is very exposed to anything even on the road to damage and debris.

·
on line
853 Posts
If you are referring to the stock plate that goes from the bumper back towads the engine skid, you can certainly keep that on with the Shrock engine skid. It attaches under the bumper in the front, it's the rear attachment points that may be a problem. I got one of the first Shrock engine skids and it had no holes to allow for the rear attachment screws on the factory plate. I think the newer engine plate may now have two oblong holes just for this reason. (Check with Nick or Jim to be sure.) One frined of mine just drilled holes with a drill press in his; I did not have the equipment so I just left mine attached only at the front. It rattled around a lot, and one day in the desert it got so mangled up I had to pull it off and drive out with nothing there.

The Shrock radiator skid is much better than the factory one, I have it and have beat it up pretty badly, with little ill effects other than smashing in the access panel for the oil filter. Nick at Shrockworks said he would look into putting heavier welds on future ones to help that from happening to others.

·
on line
238 Posts
Yes, the radiator skid comes with the bumper. He is talking about a time line from having skids to getting the bumper I believe and what to do.

I just explained what I did between getting my skids and getting my bumper. That's all.

Some people have jerryrigged the stock radiator skid to fit with the Shrock skids.

I prefer to run with insurance and took a ~50 hit for running Shrock's seperate radiator skid before I got my bumper. I sold the seperate Shrock radiator skid after getting my Shrock bumper.

·
on line
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have the shrock bumper yet. I would like to get the front and rear bumper, but they are both out of my price range right now. My truck isn't without protection, I have the skids and sliders.

I haven't yet figured out how to attach the stock skid with the Shrockworks skids on. Have to change the oil so maybe I will figure something out. It looks like the plate will not fit with the front bend in the Shrockworks skid.

I knew the radiater skid is an option, but $200 for a temporary solution doesn't look good. I don't want to deal with reselling stuff, but looking at how much the bumpers cost, I might have to break down.

So pretty much everyone with the skids has the front bumper? No one has the stock front bumper and the skid plates?

·
on line
975 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing, I just ordered my skids, minus the front one since I will be ordering the bumper also in a few months. I wonder if I could drill my own holes for the stock skid into the shrock skid. Any body done this?

·
on line
853 Posts
Bruzer said:
I don't have the shrock bumper yet. I would like to get the front and rear bumper, but they are both out of my price range right now. My truck isn't without protection, I have the skids and sliders.

I haven't yet figured out how to attach the stock skid with the Shrockworks skids on. Have to change the oil so maybe I will figure something out. It looks like the plate will not fit with the front bend in the Shrockworks skid.

I knew the radiater skid is an option, but $200 for a temporary solution doesn't look good. I don't want to deal with reselling stuff, but looking at how much the bumpers cost, I might have to break down.

So pretty much everyone with the skids has the front bumper? No one has the stock front bumper and the skid plates?
Bruzer, I'm sure there are several of us who don't have (and may never have) the Shrock bumper but do have the skids. I'm one of them. As I mentioned, you can sort of attach the stock radiator "skid" (really a splash plate) to the front of the Shrock engine skid by drilling a couple of holes. Suggest not drilling while it's on the truck, not a lot of room between it and the engine. You may also have to slightly reshape the radiator plate with a BFH, but it's pretty soft and easy to bend. I did quite a bit of shaping with a pair of vice-grips as well. Check with Nick at Shrockworks, they may be supplying the engine skid with the holes already drilled, but I'm not sure. You could also cut off the back of the stock radiator plate and tuck it under the front of the engine skid.

I can tell you that for me this whole thing was a major PITA. I did not have the facilities to take down the engine skid and drill extra holes, so I just left the stock radiator plate attached only at the front bumper, just sort of hanging down in the back. Periodically I would bend it upwards so it layed up against the front of the engine skid, and I knew that in a deset off-road situation if I ever had to back up it would act like the barb on a fishhook and catch on the ground. That is exactly what happened, and I wound up taking it off completely one day in the middle of the desert, and driving back with nothing. I wound up buying the Shrock radiator skid after that.

Looking back on the whole thing, I'm now wondering if a couple of really short self-tapping sheet metal screws to hold the back of the radiator plate to the enging skid would have solved my problems without having to dismount and dirll the engine skid.

Added armor is great, but many of us have wheeled rocky trails completely stock, so you would not be any worse off than before.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
You certainly could do it if you really wanted to. However, like Turtle mentioned, you wouldn't have any trouble selling the Shrock skid later.

·
on line
853 Posts
X_Trippin said:
I'm wondering the same thing, I just ordered my skids, minus the front one since I will be ordering the bumper also in a few months. I wonder if I could drill my own holes for the stock skid into the shrock skid. Any body done this?
Dominic, talk to Dan (AV Xterra) I think he did just that.

·
on line
551 Posts
I have the engine skid and stock radiator 'skid'
The only place I could see to drill on the engine skid was at the bend. I didn't like that idea, so I have left the radiator skid attached like stock and the engine skid goes over it. And to remove the radiator skid I just loosen the 2 back bolts, and remove the front. A socket will now fit for the last 2 bolts on the radiator skid and then slide out (with a little persuasion) All in all an extra 10 minutes max and works for me.

·
on line
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. You gave me the motivation to stick with this problem.

I figured out a way to bend the front skid plate to fit in the stock front bumper, and under the Shrockworks skid plate.

Link to Image

It was fairly easy to do. I screwed the front skid plate in to the bumper and used a marker to roughly mark where I needed the bends to get around the Shrockworks plate. Then removed the skid plate from the bumper, and the Shrockworks skid. I used a rubber mallet and pounded the rear half of the skid plate flat. I hung the plate off of the edge of the 2x6 and pounded to make the front most bend. Next I clamped another 2x6 to keep the bend in place and hammered away to make the second bend. I screwed in the stock skid plate and used a fender washers to make sure it stayed put. Mounted the Shrockworks skid plate over the whole thing and it looks like the picture above. It isn't the Shrockworks font bumper but it will do for now.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
could you update your pic, I can not see it and would like to see how it looks.

good job on getting it to fit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts