Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
on line
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Everyone !
I have decided to get some Aggresive off-road tires.

I'm assembling an off-road set of wheels and tires. Got the steel wheels and did consider the Dick Cepek Mud Country,,,,,,but,
then I thought, " I have hundreds of great people to get input From ? "

Here's the question, What AGGRESIVE tire are you running or would you recommend ? ( Stock steel 16 inch wheels.)
Let's see your input ?

Jim B

·
on line
589 Posts
From the stock Off-Road tire, I switched to the BG 255/85 Mud Terrain and have loved it since. The height is great, and it hasn't rubbed for me. I followed Syndicate in this route, but haven't regretted it since then...

·
on line
25 Posts
255/85's

I would have to agree. I have the BFG 255/85 MT and I love them, They are the best tires I have ever had. I cant say enough about these tires, not too loud, fit perfect on my X, look awesome, and the have great ratings. I researched tires for over a month and then I found the pics of SYN's X and just had to have these tires.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
If I were running 16" i'm with these guys... the 255/85r 16 is the way to go. You can't go wrong with the BFG's but there are a few other mud terrains out there to choose from.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
I'm burning my rubber until its gone so I can get the BFG MT 255/85! (Thanks Syndicate) :cheers:

·
on line
735 Posts
premium cost- good rock tire, lots of sidewall and premium rubber: goodyear MTR. not actually good in mud.

cheap mudder with a compliant sidewall that is good in sand: dunlop mud rovers: some sizes in 10 ply load range E...hard to get a flat- I've run these on work trucks.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
You can sit down with 10 Xterra owners and get 47 and a half different opinion on what tire to run. It's kind of same questions as what condom works best, depends on where you intend to use em, how, with who and how long. MT = Ribbed The question is rated x. It's a local question. Like Ohio needs much different tire than say Pa, only 25 miles east. So run what you can afford, what is in price range, tread type works in terrain you will run and what is on sale in a size that is on the door of the X or one size larger or so. With our front diff, there is such a thing as too much traction and also not enough. Ah haaaa. Half empty or half full? MC

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Has anyone mentioned the BFG MTs in 255/85/R16 ?

Lol, jk.

Yeah, it's a really sweet tire. Zero complaints.

·
on line
237 Posts
usmc xterra said:
Half empty or half full? MC
Glass is twice as big as it needs to be :geek:

I will be putting BFG AT KOs on within 3-4 months....but thats because I need one tire all year round, and that includes snow. If you took the snow out of the picture, I would likely get the MTs...and if you took money out of the picture I would run AT in winter (on steelies) and MT in summer.

·
on line
564 Posts
I'm curoius why you guys are recommending/running the 255/85 instead of the 285/75?

Rob

·
on line
15,651 Posts
For every article you find that says don't go big, I can probably find two that talk about going big.

The biggest reason for big tires is ground clearence. Larger tires are the only way to get true lift (get your axle off the ground). That is usually the reason for body lifts. It's not to lift the body off the frame so you sit higher, it so you can cram larger tires under there and not hit the fenders.

But as you point out, the larger the tires the more likely you are to break something. That percentage should not increase enough to even think about it when you go from 32" tires to 33" tires.

I think you are going to start seeing more broken diffs with stock 265/75R16 sized tires. I think the reason you have seen more diffs go when people were running 285/75R16's is because those prople were the most likely to push their X to the limits (and then some). They were the people looking for the best off road performance and the most lift possible at the time. You will also most likely see more broken diffs out east than out west. A lot of the problem has to do with wheel spin which seems to happen a lot more where there is wet rocks, mud and snow.

I actually think though that the first reported case of a failed diff in an X happened to someone at Paragon with stock tires. I'll see if I can find the original post.

My suggestion, get the tire that best fits your need. If you wheel a lot and like mud, get an MT. If you don't wheel much and stick to dry dirt/rocks, get an AT.

I will make one suggestion, avoid any Super Swamper / Interco tire if it's your daily driver and you put an average amount of pavement miles on it (average being about 15K miles a year).

·
on line
589 Posts
robnfl said:
I'm curoius why you guys are recommending/running the 255/85 instead of the 285/75?

Rob
I believe that it's just a matter of preference. The MT don't come in a 285/75 but from what we have seen fit a lit better because they are slightly narrower. The AT don't come in the 255/85 so you have to get them in the 285/75, but that extra width does grip nicely. It's almost down to whether you want MT or AT if you decide on BFGs, and then you end up with one of those two sizes.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The BFG MT's come in 285/75R16 That's what I have.

At full lock they rub slightly on the frame and in full flex in the rear they rub slightly on the frame.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
One reason to go with 255s is that the tire fits better on the stock rims, while still being 33" tall. I know many people here are running 285s on stock rims with no ill effects, but that's on the big size for the rim, especially if you air down very low and are worried about losing the bead, or rolling the tire off the rim.

Nothing against 285s on OEM rims; it's just a possible consideration.

·
on line
564 Posts
Hmmm...there's a lot to consider for tire choices. I'd like to go with the BFG MT or AT, but until I can sell my rugged trails I'll have to wait. The better half would castrate me if I plunked down $900+ for new tires...for a new vehicle.

Rob

1 - 20 of 45 Posts