Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howzit, So I am currently aired at 32 psi with my BFG 255/85/16 MT's.
My question is, What tire pressure do you have your 255's at for on road use?
When I first got them on, I aired them up to 37 psi and a friend of mine said, that they looked over inflated. So I dropped them to 32 psi.
I just got off the phone with a BFG tech 1.877.788.8899. and they said, to air it up to 65 psi. WTF! They said, 65 psi to support the load of the vehicle. That seems awfully high for me. I'll give it a try though on my way to work aired at 55psi.

Pic shows aired at 32 psi.
All I'm looking for is the optimum tire pressure for on road use to help prolong the life of the tread and maximize fuel efficiency.

What tire pressure do you have your 255's at for on road use?

Aloha, nalu's one...

·
on line
1,792 Posts
WTF is right. I've talked to the BFG techs several times and have never heard anything like that. A BFG tech told MC that 42 psi was right for his 285 75 16s!

Did the tech ask you the curb weight of the X, or did he/she know it already? The tire you're talking about is able to fit the bill for an X or a loaded full-sized pick-up. Should the pressure be the same for both these applications and everything in between?

Stick with the mid to high 30s cold and you'll be in great shape. Air down to 20 or so offroad and up to the mid 40s heavily loaded. 65 psi around town is absurd advice, no matter where it's coming from.

·
on line
807 Posts
If I remember correctly I have my fronts at 37psi and my rears at 35psi

·
on line
975 Posts
Nice find, I have been wondering what kind of pressure to run. I'm sitting on 245/75/16 BFG MT's load range E, They are a bit stiff but great on the dirt.

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Howzit, Thanks everyone for the input. I went up to 55 psi for the drive to work and immediatley knew it was over inflated. I brougt it down to 37 psi for the drive home (much better) and will fine tune it from there. And d-rap that was the one of the most useful tire explanation sites I've seen.
Aloha, nalu's one...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts