Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
on line
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size are the OR edition tires? i was looking to upgrade my tires to AT KO's only to the maximum size allotted for the X, aka, the OR size.

·
on line
15 Posts
If you mean for the OFF Road Model, Those are P265/75R16 BFGoodrich® Rugged Trail® OWL tires

·
on line
65 Posts
I have an 06 OR with the 265s and am looking to upgrade tomorrow. I have been reading all the tire size posts and it seems that people keep saying "get the OR size" rather than 285s. What about fo rthe OR edition. Will the 285s fit. By the way there is one heck of a sale on Pro Comp MTs until tuesday. 164 per tire and by 3 get one free!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There is no difference in ride height between an offroad and non offroad model. 285/75R16's will fit on either with minor rubbing. If you move up from a 265/75R16 to the 285/75R16 your speedometer will be off by 4mph (so will your odometer). You will also take a hit on your mileage.

·
on line
65 Posts
would you change sizes or roll stock?

·
on line
1,695 Posts
calijetfxr said:
would you change sizes or roll stock?
This is gonna be an opinion thing. I'd say (and I don't even own an X yet... waiting till the end of the year to snag an '06 for cheap) run the 265/75's. I really wanted to get a set of 285's with the AC lift, but good luck getting Nissan to warranty an exploded front diff with bigger tires. I really don't think it would be worth the extra potential headache, along with the gas mileage loss, for an extra 1/2" of clearance and a cooler look on an 80/20 or even 90/10 driver. But, just my $0.02.

·
on line
65 Posts
i heard that, not to mention i am already having problems w/ my front end! see bad noise in 4 low

·
on line
830 Posts
See I am the one guy who dosent care about the mileage. You know what I did about the mileage on the X. Bought a Versa.

·
TNX Administrator
20,438 Posts
BigDaddyChia said:
See I am the one guy who dosent care about the mileage. You know what I did about the mileage on the X. Bought a Versa.
I bet towing the Versa around with your X, really broght your mileage down.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I have just returned from a 5K 1 week trip, I do this trip about once a year, last year I did it with a stock X this year I did it with my updated X that includes 285 75 16 BFG AT KO's Mileage went down 5 MPG = 100 miles per tank. This is a solid number stock tires VS aftermarket size.
My hindsight is, it wasn't worth it at all. I'll be going back to largest stock tire size as soon as I get my $ worth out of these. Not to mention stock tire ride much better. I will make these tires my OR only tires.

MC

·
on line
240 Posts
USMC XTERRA said:
I have just returned from a 5K 1 week trip, I do this trip about once a year, last year I did it with a stock X this year I did it with my updated X that includes 285 75 16 BFG AT KO's Mileage went down 5 MPG = 100 miles per tank. This is a solid number stock tires VS aftermarket size.
My hindsight is, it wasn't worth it at all. I'll be going back to largest stock tire size as soon as I get my $ worth out of these. Not to mention stock tire ride much better. I will make these tires my OR only tires.

MC
The "100 miles per tank" really hits home. I was gonna lift my X and do 285's, but forget that! We travel too much.

·
on line
163 Posts
USMC XTERRA said:

MC
I have 285/75-16 BFG AT KO's, 10ply tire. I also have 2 bike racks on my roof. I had the bike racks before I changed tires, and I was getting about 340miles per tank and now get about 310-320miles. The mileage barely changed. Lifting it will reduce your total mileage per tank as well, but not to a point of 100miles per tank.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
USMC XTERRA said:

MC
MC, you also have to remember the 500+lbs of metal you added. :)

Since I have done most of my mods in steps I have a pretty good log of mileage. It's a couple months old (and before the skids and rear bumper), but. (I will try to update it today).

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=923

With sliders, front bumper, winch, lift, and 285/75R16 BFG MT's my average mileage dropped from 15.5218234 to 13.0536942 (using 3.7% for the change in tire size). If you go strictly by your odometer with the size up tires your numbers will quite a bit off.

Here is the log I keep at each fill-up.
http://pittsburgh-music.com/users/jbeam/05Xterra/MileageBook/MileageBook.htm

Also, the 3.7% will be different if you don't have an off-road model. This is the tire calc I used.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
on line
1,114 Posts
While I agree that the 285's are hurting my milage, I think that weight is the biggest killer.

I haven't weighted all the junk I have on my truck but I know it's quite a bit:

Shrockworks rear bumper (sans tire carrier), 33" BFT A/T KO spare, Shrockworks sliders, 2 Shrockworks skids, Full box of tools, Safari basket, Hi-Lift and a butt load of misc. crap.

Still, my fuel light will come on around the 275 mile mark with normal driving. I've gone as far as 315 miles before I fueled up again. I only had 1.5 gallons left in the cell. That's cuttin' it close but I know what the limit is now.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
05XOR said:
While I agree that the 285's are hurting my milage, I think that weight is the biggest killer.

I haven't weighted all the junk I have on my truck but I know it's quite a bit:

Shrockworks rear bumper (sans tire carrier), 33" BFT A/T KO spare, Shrockworks sliders, 2 Shrockworks skids, Full box of tools, Safari basket, Hi-Lift and a butt load of misc. crap.

Still, my fuel light will come on around the 275 mile mark with normal driving. I've gone as far as 315 miles before I fueled up again. I only had 1.5 gallons left in the cell. That's cuttin' it close but I know what the limit is now.
I am seeing about the same as you. I have pushed it to 320 miles and I too only had to put almost 20 gallons in.

·
on line
496 Posts
Glad you guys posted up numbers. I thought I was the only one getting that mileage. ARB makes bigger fuel tanks and since they are more popular here in Europe I am going to check on it.
ETA: Does anyone know if the tank is the same for the Pathy, Fronty, and X? The price is the same at BUYNISSANPARTS.com.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I don't know that, but I am not sure how much larger you can get on the X without getting in the way of drive line and suspension components.

·
on line
65 Posts
I have an 06 OR and I am getting the light around 260 miles. She usually takes about 16 gallons to fill... is it normal for the fuel light to come on that soon?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts