Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, looks like I need to change out at least my rear shocks. I'm bottoming out badly on even small bumps (in back), and I can see dark oil on the rear shock bodies (leaks). So, what shocks do I buy? I'm still at the stock hight, but do have 285's on the truck.

Do I need to change out the fronts as well? Should I change out the fronts to make the ride match? Any tips on making my life easier when changing the rears?

Thanks in Advance.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
if you need to replace the shocks from bottoming out so much you should fix the bottoming out issue first. stronger leaf pack or a simply add-a-leaf kit will solve that issue. from there you can go with new shocks such as the bilstein 5125s from prg. new shocks alone will not solve the issue. a simple spacer lift up from will even out the difference from an AAL and be cheap.

·
on line
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I can't remember, is if the truck was bottoming out before the shocks blew? I tow a lot (nothing to heavy, jetskis and snowmobiles), but that seems to have been enough to kill the stock OR shocks.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well im sure your shocks are bad since they are leaking.... but its not just the shocks, its also the crappy leafspring design that nissan has. Dont worry about the front shocks yet. Get an AAL for the rear, change the shocks out to something like bil 5125's, and put a cheap spacer on the front if you want to level the ride out.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Don't replace the rear shocks until you address the bottoming out. You can fix the bottoming out by:

1. Installing a new leaf pack.
2. Installing an add-a-leaf (AAL) kit.
3. Installing Timbren bumpstops.
4. Installing longer leaf spring shackles.

Personally, I went with a custom AAL from a local spring shop. I also changed my rear shocks from the OR Bilsteins to Rancho 9000s. The AAL stopped my bottoming out, and the truck handled better when towing. You will find people on this board that swear by the Timbren bumpstops in part because they don't limit your articulation like the AAL does.

·
on line
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys; if I can ask, what did your AAL cost you? Anyone have a sugesstion as to which would be the best as far as cost effectiveness? I just bought a house, so I"m a little poor right now.

·
on line
366 Posts
I used to bottom out all the time in the back, especially if I had passengers in the rear. The AAL fixed that completely. (no new shocks in the rear)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts