Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
you really run that oil for 15k? man i had a friend in college that used some fancy 15k mile oil in his ram... I told him i wouldnt but.. hey aint my truck.

that was the main issue i had, even if the oil can last that long before breaking down, your still going to have carbon build in in the oil/ filter.. but i fyou change the filter every 5k ish than maybe that negates that issue.. idk 15 k just seems like a lot of miles on the same oil.
Right? I feel like if it smells rancid at 6k that means something. Also if you're changing the filter aren't you a bunch and making a mess anyway? I don't care how broke I am, that's the PITA for me, not the 23 dollar jug of new oil.

·
Registered
888 Posts
For real though. I use Mobile 1 High mileage 5w 30 oil and a Wix 57055xp filter.

I know it says that the filter doesn't fit our vehicles, but here's why I use it:

I did a ton of research and found that this filter is longer, so the filter media has more surface area and the spring rate of the bypass valve is heavier than that of most of the tiny little filters that are recommended for our trucks. The STP filter I had on it before did great at idle, but when the engine revved and built up pressure, the oil would just blow past the filter media and through the bypass valve. so what was happening was at idle my oil was being filtered, but at operating speeds (and pressures) my oil was only being circulated, not filtered. And it made a weird noise. I don't like noises.
Why does it say it doesn't fit the Xterra? The length? Will it fit with the P4X stock radiator skid plate on?

·
Registered
223 Posts
If one has any doubts about your oil life get it tested. On 5 quarts its not very cost effective. Now when you hit 3 plus gallons then its worth the time and $$. Gives one a better idea of what is going on like a high amount of babbet metals or breakdown of the oil itself giving a better idea if you can extend change periods. Same can be done with the atf. My larger tractors would use a 30 gallon drum and was worth the $20 to have a sample taken.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Walmart.com
Castrol GTX 5W-30 $16.97 5 quart jug.

Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5w-30 $22.68.
$10.00 rebate from Pennzoil.
Final price = $12.68

With a good synthetic oil and filter, a 6000mile interval is more than acceptable. ( Im pretty sure Nissan recommends either 6000miles or possibly 7500. Refer to your owners manual)

During this time period you will have spent $32.97 for oil (two conventional oil changes) plus the cost of two oil filters.(bargain prices filter apx $5.00 x2)

Conventional oil change cost over a 6000 mile period with a 3000 mile interval :Total cost $42.97

A similar cost with Pennzoil Synthetic would be $12.68 plus $9.75 for a Mobil1 extended mileage oil filter from walmart.

A comparable 6000 mile oil change with Pennzoil Synthetic cost $22.43.

Obviously, even if you dont use the Pennzoil manufacturers rebate, the total cost would still be less than two conventional oil changes.

The best reason to do conventional and 3000 mile changes is because your comfortable in doing such.

The cost savings is not a factor.

Ps: I didn't factor any potential increase in gas mileage which you may gain from using a Synthetic oil. Even a fraction of a mpg adds up to money saved over the course of a year.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
yeah $22 is pretty cheap for 5 qts of full syn.. but I dont usually get oil products form walmart, its just more convenient to go to the auto parts store.

either way, costs isnt a really big factor to me, its like $10-15 more to do full syn over conventional. i have been running castrol gtx 5w30 HW. just switched to some of full syn and the engine seems to run alittle smoother and quieter. if it stays that way for 3500-5000 ill go with full syn again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Why does it say it doesn't fit the Xterra? The length? Will it fit with the P4X stock radiator skid plate on?
It's just not the tiny little filter that the auto parts stores system says is for our trucks.

I have a 2012 P4X with stock skids and it fits just fine.

This whole experience was kind of unnerving for me, because the faulty bypass valve in the STP filter meant that any time my engine was running over 1200 rpm, my oil was not being filtered. If not for the noise it made, I wouldn't have known. It makes me wonder how many filters fail like that silently, and how much engine wear is caused by those failures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
For real though. I use Mobile 1 High mileage 5w 30 oil and a Wix 57055xp filter.

I know it says that the filter doesn't fit our vehicles, but here's why I use it:

I did a ton of research and found that this filter is longer, so the filter media has more surface area and the spring rate of the bypass valve is heavier than that of most of the tiny little filters that are recommended for our trucks. The STP filter I had on it before did great at idle, but when the engine revved and built up pressure, the oil would just blow past the filter media and through the bypass valve. so what was happening was at idle my oil was being filtered, but at operating speeds (and pressures) my oil was only being circulated, not filtered. And it made a weird noise. I don't like noises.
Anyone know of this will fit the ‘06?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
The FSM list a range of weights that can be used. I've only used Mobil1 + a Nissan filter from when it was new onward, I'm at 184,000 now and I used 5w-30 up until a couple years ago when I switched to 10w-40 during the summer. Most oils are pretty good quality these days, I think changing it on schedule matters more than the brand used personally (for oil not filters).

21 - 31 of 31 Posts