Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ‘06 X with 176k miles and wondering what the consensus is for best oil brand and weight? Appreciate your input!

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
5W-30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance (EP) or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I believe that Castrol Edge Extended Performance is good too but have not used it.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Oil weight 5w30

Question: Which oil, regular vs high mileage.

Answer:
It depends if your engine is using oil or not. If your not using oil beyond normal consumption continue to use a regular synthetic oil.

If your starting to use more oil than normal, you may wish to use a high mileage oil.

A bad choice is to use a high mileage oil on an engine which is not using oil.

There are a number of conditioners in a HM oil which can cause the seals in your engine to swell and eliminate oil usage. However, if your not having problems, using a HM oil can cause excessive friction in said areas which can cause unnecessary wear. You could be creating the problem your attempting to prevent

The use of these oils can cause premature oil useage.

Synopsis, ( in my opinion) use a hm oil if your using oil, otherwise stay away from it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've always been a mobil-1 full synthetic kind of guy, but I've recently made the switch to full synthetic Penzoil.
Oh, and always 5w-30.

Amazon Basics is cheap and just as good as mobil-1; If you don't mind feeding Amazon's Monopoly :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have an '06 with 205k. When I got mine I researched the same thing and basically found to keep it with 5w-30. What convinced me is that this engine is built pretty darn tight to get its output. Even though conventional wisdom is to go thicker in an old car these engines don't seem to have age-related tolerance failure, that oil has to squeak into some tight spots forever. Is what I gathered when I asked. Lots of guys recommend more boutique synthetics like Royal Purple and whatnot. That's probably great but I go with Mobil 1 because I know I can find it anytime, all across the country.

But yeah, that's what I deduced and I've crossed the country three times with mine since 195k without burning a drop, so there's my input.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm in the camp of don't feed a non leaking engine high mileage oil. The site bobstheoilguy is pretty good with information on various oils.
I wish the X had a oil filter the size of the old chevy ph8. I own some toys that have larger filters.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I wish the X had a oil filter the size of the old chevy ph8. I own some toys that have larger filters.
The Fronty guys claim the Baldwin B1402 fits. Its longer by like an inch. I have not tried it so do your own research - just passing on what they said. Baldwin BTW if your not familiar is in Ohio and makes the Amsoil Filters, as well as others I presume as well as their own brand.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have always used old fashioned Dino 5W-30 in my 350,000 mile X. For a decade I used Valvoline Supreme, but they phased that out so I switched to Castrol, and now there phasing that out so I will need to either go to a synthetic blend or find a new brand.

I have been running Castrol Edge Full Synthetic in my Fronty. Its just a baby with only 90K miles. I know it shouldn't matter but somehow I cant bring myself to put Full Syn in my high mileage X since its never had it previously. I realize this is an irrational fear.

I don't use Mobil1 because I read on BITOG that the VQ40 has a tendency to shear motor oil, and Mobil1 is not as good as some of the newer Syns at resisting shear- like Costrol Edge or the now most popular over there penzoil platinum. No idea if this is true or made up.

My thoughts at this point is change your oil and filter every 3 to 4K and it likely doesn't matter what brand your using.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Several have stated 5w30.

Just a hunter pointed out the factors you need to consider when deciding whether to use a high mileage oil.

Go with that & you will be fine with any modern, good quality synthetic.

I use Royal Purple because the information available seems to indicate it is better in a few areas than other synthetics & is widely available. Given reasonable change intervals, any decent oil should protect the engine though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Several have stated 5w30.

Just a hunter pointed out the factors you need to consider when deciding whether to use a high mileage oil.

Go with that & you will be fine with any modern, good quality synthetic.

I use Royal Purple because the information available seems to indicate it is better in a few areas than other synthetics & is widely available. Given reasonable change intervals, any decent oil should protect the engine though.
My recent research has lead me to see that today's dino oil is far superior to that of old. Some being very close to that of synthetic. Far better detergent packs to prevent sludge.
Anyone remember the huge lawsuit brought against Dollar general for selling oil that was worthless for vehicles post 88? The industry has set up a good set of standards to meet or exceed. Consumer reports often does some extreme testing of oils.
Walmart for awhile was having their filters made by Wix. If if schlep around on dirt roads or severe conditions I will change out the filter mid oil change. It just don't make sense to have a filter that's half the size of the filter of a 2 cylinder Kohler lawnmower engine

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
ive been running castrol gtx High mileage.. until this last oil change since they had a special i decided to get some full castrol syn high mileage oil.. only when i got home did i realize i had the regular full syn 5w-30.. well the old oil was already out so i was just gonna have to put it in! she runs like a top now! seriously the engine sounds smoother and quieter than wilt the syn blend high mileage 5w30 we'll see how long it stays that way. Oh also this time i used a k&n filter.. it seemed like 10% smaller than the blue puralator i usually use.. idk it's supposed to be the "premium" option.. so we'll see.
but when it comes down to it, I dont really think it matters. use some oil of decent quality, and change it often and your engine will be fine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
For real though. I use Mobile 1 High mileage 5w 30 oil and a Wix 57055xp filter.

I know it says that the filter doesn't fit our vehicles, but here's why I use it:

I did a ton of research and found that this filter is longer, so the filter media has more surface area and the spring rate of the bypass valve is heavier than that of most of the tiny little filters that are recommended for our trucks. The STP filter I had on it before did great at idle, but when the engine revved and built up pressure, the oil would just blow past the filter media and through the bypass valve. so what was happening was at idle my oil was being filtered, but at operating speeds (and pressures) my oil was only being circulated, not filtered. And it made a weird noise. I don't like noises.

·
Registered
315 Posts
A bad choice is to use a high mileage oil on an engine which is not using oil.
Good post. My personal take on this is to avoid high mileage oil altogether and if the engine is indeed leaking/using oil to directly fix the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my 2005 offroad, at 45K miles...now at 200K. I've always used which ever synthetic 5w30 was on sale (usually valvoline, castrol, mobile 1). Changed every 3k-5k miles.
Mix of city and highway miles with 2 trips from CO to Sparks NV and multiple trips into the Rockies.
No leaks or oil burning.
If you're not having issues, I say stick with what you're using now.

Side note - If you havn't checked the rubber boots for your intake and throttle body, I humbly suggest you do. Tears and rips are hard to see on these, if your not really looking. At 170k I was trying to diagnose a rough idle and figured I would pull the throttle body (TB) and clean it. Well when I did I notice 2 tears between the ribs of the boots (and I had done quite a bit of work before and never noticed). The TB definietly needed to be cleaned.
Afterwards it ran perfectly.
Even if you're not having issues, I would check them, especially with the high milage.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I’ve only ever used mobile 1 syn. 15,000mile oil in my vehicles.
Engines run exceptional across the board, and I’m not very gently on them.

change the oil filter every 4-5k and top it off

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I’ve only ever used mobile 1 syn. 15,000mile oil in my vehicles.
Engines run exceptional across the board, and I’m not very gently on them.

change the oil filter every 4-5k and top it off
you really run that oil for 15k? man i had a friend in college that used some fancy 15k mile oil in his ram... I told him i wouldnt but.. hey aint my truck.

that was the main issue i had, even if the oil can last that long before breaking down, your still going to have carbon build in in the oil/ filter.. but i fyou change the filter every 5k ish than maybe that negates that issue.. idk 15 k just seems like a lot of miles on the same oil.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts