Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
on line
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking at a few used X's & was wondering what kind of mileage I can expect before the motor needs replacing or rebuilding.
8000$$ good for a 4x4 with 86000 on it?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
that's some high miles....you should just crack down and get something with less miles, you'll have a lot less problems. I personally never buy a vehicle with more than 20K on it.....what year are you looking at? you can prob. get an 05 with less miles for a still reasonable price.

·
on line
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought an 07 2 wheel.

·
on line
735 Posts
as a second vehicle I'd be more open to mileage...lets see.

The one thing that was endemic to vg series 3.whatever liter nissan motors was the leaky exhuast manifolds.

oh yeah, and special high dollar oxygen sensors (only the $100 nissan ones are worth a darn).

generally they last a long time. I don't know about older X's specifically, but the square headlight ones seemed to come with the more durable nissan on piece housing style of japanese made rear axle. I prefer the round light look though.

I'd be wary of any out of warranty auto trans..not sure how long nissan slushboxes are supposed to go for.

·
on line
145 Posts
Nissan motors are generally known for their longevity. Until recently I had a '00 Xterra with 160K on it. I did have to replace a headgasket but that was it apart from maintenance items like belts and plugs. I had no other troubles with the vehicle.
When I lived in New Zealand I drove a Nissan van for work. It just wouldn't die despite the thrashing I gave it. I also had a friend who thrashed a Nissan van and a Patrol. They wouldn't die either. (Though the Patrol didn't do so well after a night in the surf).

·
on line
3,272 Posts
2002 makes it roughly six years old. times that by 14000 which is the new average i believe and you get 84,000. sounds about right for me but i would try to talk him down to 7000.00 if possible. that gives you an extra 1000 for the SAS!

·
on line
735 Posts
That's like bragging to see whose X has lost the most resale.. You getting paid gov't mileage rate or something?

·
on line
1,208 Posts
I bought mine october 23 2006, so I have had mine for 11 months exactly and I have 24,668

Not braggin or anything, but mine should be sitting for the most part of the next 15 months, that should help right the milage a bit.

14,000 per year is the new number???? About 5 years ago it was 15,000/year, and I believe that people drive more now than they did then, so I don't see how it would have gone down.

·
on line
551 Posts
We've had ours 10 months yesterday: 3500 give or take (and no I didn't forget a zero)
Yeah the wife drives it for work maybe 8 miles RT and I have a company truck.
Which reminds me, I need to take the Burb for a drive.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts