Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been curious about this for some time, and figured I should just throw it out there: what is the purpose of the prerunner bumper? I'm not looking at getting one but the question has been in the back of my mind...

My understanding is that, historically, the prerunner was a scout car for desert races. What is the practical use of the bumper jutting out that far? I'm guessing now it's mostly a cosmetic choice?

Your answers/continued speculation are appreciated!

·
Registered
822 Posts
I asked the same question a while back and was told if the truck goes nose down it can help prevent a stick and flip so you don't flip directly onto your roof.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Seems to me that with the shape of the front, they are good for preventing the truck's front end from diving into and sticking into a sharp bump or when landing from a small jump, nose first. Plus, since desert races don't include many crawling (or any at all), there was no need for major rock protection or a winch - just lights and something to push brush under the truck, rather than hit the radiator.

At least, that is what makes sense to me...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A Pre-Runner tube bumper is very lightweight compared to the steel ones we mostly put on our trucks. They offer better approach angles than stock and are not really designed to absorb high impacts.
This is my impression as well. That is why I don't get is how such a lightweight tube bumper could be useful for if a truck nosedives after a jump. Wouldn't it just crumple?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
It could crumple, yes, but they tend to be made from very strong tube (which is inherently stronger than simply plate). Regardless, protective equipment does not have to survive the impact, it just has to make sure that you do.

Also, make sure you're looking at a proper prerunner bumper. There are a lot of prerunner-styled bumpers - a true one will have a significant stinger on the front.

·
Registered
822 Posts
There is probably a fairly big difference in the design and materials used for something that is supposed to be functional as opposed to something designed for looks, improved approach angle and to hang lights on. Id be willing to bet there are prerunner style bumpers out there that do nothing more than our stock side steps do in the event of an impact. But on the other hand I'm sure there are some that would offer a fair bit of protection like sliders do.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Also, on the matter of crumpling, that's why cars are designed with crush zones. If you got into a high-speed accident with a completely rigid vehicle, that's you getting cut in half by your seatbelt.
Exactly why NASCAR chassis are made from mild steel, as opposed to chrome-moly... They're designed to absorb impacts and deform in the process.

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Interesting ... I always thought the far extruding stinger bar might help to direct the zombies down and under the tires as opposed to flipping them up over the hood and roof rack.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts