Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I have seen the post of the maxxis buckshot mudders, but I was wondering what the very maximum tire size is for a stock suspension on an SE. Any help at all would be appreciated. Oh, and by the way, I am new here. I have been reading the posts on the site since I got my Xterra in June but never participated. I would appreciate any help. My Xterra is an 05 SE 4WD. Can someone tell me how to post pictures?

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Welcome, and while I can't answer your first question, I can answer the second.

While you have the forums page open, start another instance of Internet Explorer.

On that second instance, go to http://imageshack.us/. This site allows you to upload photos from your computer. Just make sure you select the box to resize them for "800x600".

Upload a photo, and it will give you a selection of code to chose from.

Copy the code at the bottom (Direct link to image).

Past the image's code into our forums.

Highlight the entire coding and click the button, located above the box where you enter your text. This will put special brackets around the code, which will show up as a photo once you hit submit.

The code should look like this once you've selected the [Img] button:

[img]The code for your image goes here.
________
VAPORIZER WIKI

·
on line
3,484 Posts
285 75 will fit But I really wish I had not gone so large. If I was to do it over, I'd stick with the sizes on the door Jam and stick with that. Call Nissan and the tire manufacture and they will back me up. Any larger that that, and you are going to be asking for problems. Wishing someone told me that.

MC

·
on line
1,320 Posts
For the SE 17" wheels the most common ~33" is the 285/70r 17... 33" is the biggest you can go with only minor rubbing.
There are 33x12.5/17 out there but it wouldn't be advisable to mount them on stock wheels due to the excessive width.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You can fit 285/70R17's on there with minor rubbing. The rubbing can be taken care of with a heat gun by heating the back side of the inner fender and pushing it back.

·
on line
259 Posts
... but a lot of people would rather stick to 265/70/17 which is already 1-in taller than the stock 265/65/17...

·
on line
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

thanks alot. I will probobly go with the 275/70/17 when I need to. The long trail tires are not the best for trails. I am trying to wait until I get new tires to do anything too crazy... but it's hard. Thanks for all the help, by the way. Do the upped tires affect my warranty in any way? oh, and here is my truck.

This is after her first time in the mud.

took a pause for a pic at the beginning on the trail.

·
on line
259 Posts
I forgot about 275/70/17, that's 32.2 in tall, which should be fine. The only thing about this size is that there aren't as many options as in other more "common" sizes. But you can still find a good selection. Please post some pics if you go that way.

:geek: :flower:

·
on line
259 Posts
Both. The total distance between the ball joints in the UCA and LCA increases with both width and height.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maximum tire size on stock 07 SE

OK guys...just joined because I'm sitting in my Nissan dealership service department getting new tires. The guys here have been great in answering my question, "What is the max tire size I can get on my stock 07 SE?" After measuring and mounting three different tire sizes the max we could fit was 275/70R17 Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T. Everything else requires some level of mod - you may be able to go bigger with trimming, melting, lifting etc...and ad nauseum but if you're like me I like my truck like it is... it gets me on the beach and down the river trails just fine.. just wanted a more aggressive tire. It may be worth noting the techs heavily advised against going any larger. They said they repair a lot of Gen I & II Xterras with lifts and larger tires because the extra load tears up the front end on this vehicle.

·
on line
6,649 Posts
I went with 265/70-17 and LOVE them. Larger than the stock SE tires but no need for melt mod or ANY modification for that matter. Also, since they're 32" (same size as OR model tires) the speedometer is dead on accurate now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went with 265/70-17 and LOVE them. Larger than the stock SE tires but no need for melt mod or ANY modification for that matter. Also, since they're 32" (same size as OR model tires) the speedometer is dead on accurate now.
Thats weird, I've noticed that my speedometer isn't accurate past a certain mph (off by like 2-5mph)... But I also drive a 2006 S 4x2... Maybe its a sign from nissan wanting us to put some 32"s on it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK and this is why I'm a noob...lol. The tech just came in and couldn't get the Dunlops on the rim...WHY????? they dont make them in 17s... I asked what he was measuring with when he said they would fit and he had used a diff make 275/70R17 and he claims his computer said the dunlops were 17s.. wtf.. back to shopping any reccomendations on make/model tire?

·
on line
6,649 Posts
Thats weird, I've noticed that my speedometer isn't accurate past a certain mph (off by like 2-5mph)... But I also drive a 2006 S 4x2... Maybe its a sign from nissan wanting us to put some 32"s on it?
Nissan calibrated the speedometer for the largest available tire (32" found on the Off Road model). So anything smaller will read a couple MPH faster on the gauge then what you're actually going. I guess Nissan figured "better for the speedo to read faster than what you're really going than slower"

And to the OP...Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs are badass but a little pricey (about $200/tire).

You can get TreadWright's equivalent to the BFG AT (Wardens)for about $120/tire.

·
on line
6,159 Posts
I have 285 70 R17 on mine. Just had to get out the heat gun and bend back the inne rliner a little bit and I was golden. The shop did it for me actually.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts