Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always bought merrel chameleon wraps/gortex. But the last pair i got pblow ass, and didnt last long. I might just get the older style, i found them still being sold, but they arent gortex. So i was just going to buy some lame water proofing spray for them. I love the Merrel brand and fit, but like i said, the new version of my fave shoe blows donkey. What else do you guys get? Keep inmind, i dont want a full blown hiking boot, just a hiking shoe type.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
The chameleons have a tractive sole and are light, but they wear out in a jiffy. I have the next step up, still a low top, Merrells, but a beefier sole and a bit more rigid construction. I forget the name. Still plenty flexible for wheeling and clutching and strong enough to hike rocks with a pack all day (kind of like mud terrain tires).

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I wear Montrail Hurricane Ridge shoes (on my 4th pair) and Vasque Sundowner GTX boots (I really liked the old Vasque Clarion's, but they changed them and I don't like the new model).

·
on line
1,744 Posts
I have black cadilacs with vibram soles (Mark III Cbt Boot) Also have a pair or Danners in desert tan, like a pair of sneakers, love them.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown:------------ NEVADOS-----

--Black/Tan--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
14,014 Posts
I have had quite a history of hiking shoes, most of which have been Merrells. In fact, my current hikers are Gore-Tex Merrell Chameleons (high-tops) and have had no complaints. Before I have used Salomons when it comes to low-quarter hikers, VERY light and VERY breathable.

EDIT---Oh, and I forgot to include Vasque's in the line-up, too. Another great boot!

·
on line
112 Posts
I have Merrell or Columbia Titanium - the latter because there's a distribution warehouse near me that has a "garage sale" of their floor samples, twice a year. Typically, the jackets are ~75-80% off, and every single pair of shoes and sandals are $10, even their top-of-the-line Titanium-series hiking boots. They only have the shoes in size 10, but that's fine because I'm Asian and have small feet, among other appendages.

·
on line
750 Posts
I wore Merrells for years because they fit my feet (narrow) well and generally have great traction..BUT I got a pair of Keens on clearance from Sierra Trading post and these things have caused me to change brands forever.

Awesome arch support, great traction and the toe bumper adds a lot of confidence in the hard scrabbly stuff. They fit me like a glove.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
BioTerra said:
BUT I got a pair of Keens on clearance from Sierra Trading post and these things have caused me to change brands forever.

Awesome arch support, great traction and the toe bumper adds a lot of confidence in the hard scrabbly stuff. They fit me like a glove.
The Keens are big out here in So Cal. A bit of a different, blunt look in the toe (their signature), but my gf just got a pair and says they're the most comfortable shoes she's ever hiked in.

BTW, my Merrells are Phasers, a little more supportive and with a stronger sole than the chameleons.

·
on line
750 Posts
Yeah, the Keens are just extremely comfortable. There was nothing wrong with the Merrells..just these are a cut above.

With the Merrels I never bought online because they vary the stiffness of the soles a lot even within the same model I have found. Since I did a lot of off-trail hiking in very rugged terrain I needed as stiff of a rand as I could get without being heavy and clunky like true mountaineering boots. Merrells have some models that do well in the department and I still use them. For lighter stuff or longer distances..I go with the Keens.

·
on line
112 Posts
I've rocked the Montrail Torre GTX's for the last two summers. I've summitted 12 fourteeners in them, and they do a good job of protecting my feet from nasty talus above timberline. They've also been down to the bottom of the grand canyon (and back up) with a full pack on, and they've also gone over the top of three of those 14ers with a full pack. Woohoo!

·
on line
112 Posts
oh, hahah, looks like these are the full-blown hiking type, but there you go anyway.

·
on line
807 Posts
I just bought my first non-merrel shoes in about 8 years, I never had any problems with them but I decided to try some Keens... so far I love them too, although they are more camp shoes, not hiking shoes.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Keens rule. I had been in outdoor retail for 10 plus years (left the biz so I could actually go out and enjoy the stuff i used to sell). In the last gear shop that I managed, Keens were, by far, our best selling shoe. They outsold all of the other lines combined. The company has earned their reputation, and are making an incredible product. Give the Targhee II a try, they make a Low and a Mid.
I could talk all day about this stuff.

·
on line
1,504 Posts
Mark...I hate to hear that about the new Merrell Cham. because I just bought my a new set after loving all of my old ones because they were bomb proof, but I guess we'll see about these new ones...I'm like you though pretty brand loyal, but a lot of people around here swear by the Keens also, you've got enough money buy one of every brand!

·
on line
750 Posts
I would if I could..I'm like the Imelda Marcos of hiking shoes. A pair for every type of terrain. lol

1 - 20 of 83 Posts