Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone done anything that resulted in a noticeable positive effect on gas mileage? Im talking simple things here like air filter change, spark plugs replacement, etc. mainly general maintenance stuff that i may have neglected for a while.

I have an '07 with 69k miles and the stock air filter, i plan to replace it this weekend because ive been told that, a clogged air filter can have a decent effect on gas mileage. im also going to look at the spark plugs.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Proper tire pressure, modest acceleration, try and keep it under 70 and you
can get "sticker" MPG's. My worst tank 17.5 brutal headwinds. My best tank
on secondary roads at altitude 23.5 Over life of vehicle 19.7 combined. I run
Amsoil Signature w/AEM oil-less air filter. Clean MAF every 6 mo. I'm stock.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
developed a lighter right foot...

And yes - it is WAY past time to change the air filter.

Toy Man
yea, ive taken the air filter out and cleaned it before, just never bought a new one.

I also dont expect to get sticker numbers since i put pigger tires on and added a roof light bar and front brush guard. those all hurt me. Just tryin to gain what little back that i can if possible.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Well, I'm planning on buying an early 1970s VW Beetle to drive to work...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am having problems with my MPG as well. First fill up after I bought it with 70% city, 30% highway driving was 14.5 mpg. Going now mostly city and the computer is reading 12.5 mpg. I understand the Winter gas blend giving lower MPG's but expected a bit higher than 12.5 in the city- everything is stock. Going to check the air filter tonight to see if that needs replacing, any other ideas? I bought it used with 39k on it at the end of Dec.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Buy a 6 speed. A bully dog tuner with 91 tune running 93 octane + timing advance. Lighter foot. Upshifting early (assuming that you have a 6speed) and sometime skipping gears entirely (like jumping from 4th to 6th). If I do the above, I see 16-17 mpg average (even on 33s higher on 32s). If I drive it like I stole it, I see 12-13 mpg average. Your experience may vary.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The air filter won't affect your gas mileage - sorry to say. That's because we have EFI and the computer adjusts fuel to compensate for less air flow. You can google this if you want. The EPA ran some tests and they're posted online - I read them recently.

A light right foot is the only guarantee for better mpg. That, and not driving over 75 mph. Tire pressure has a definite effect, so keep your tires inflated. Other than that, you're stuck with what we have.

I will add one thing though... I've done a lot of traveling over the last 20 years and have ridden with a LOT of different drivers - cabs, shuttles, etc. I am always amazed at how some people can't figure out how to use consistent throttle. Smooth is the key. For some reason, and I can't quite figure out why, I've run into more people in the Chicago area that increase and decrease throttle WAY more than necessary on the hwy. It's like they're taught to do this, because it seems everyone there does it... I've been riding along and noticed that (even with no traffic) people will give way too much throttle, then back off, then way too much throttle, then back off... It's crazy. I even mentioned this to a distributor of mine years ago (hoping he wasn't one of these people because I had to ride with him later that day) and sure thing... He got on the hwy and it was the same thing... RRRRR...rrrrrr....RRRRRR.....rrrrr.... I was like, WTF? Did he not pay any attention to what I said? Is he oblivious to what he's doing? :confused:

Is there something in the water that keeps people from being able to control their right foot up there? lol I'm quite sure mpg's would drop when ppl drive like this... plus, it makes passengers sick because their heads are moving forward and backward all the time. I just don't understand some ppl...

Anyway, thought I'd share that little relevant rant in this thread.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Buy a 6 speed. A bully dog tuner with 91 tune running 93 octane + timing advance. Lighter foot. Upshifting early (assuming that you have a 6speed) and sometime skipping gears entirely (like jumping from 4th to 6th). If I do the above, I see 16-17 mpg average (even on 33s higher on 32s). If I drive it like I stole it, I see 12-13 mpg average. Your experience may vary.
That seems like a lot of effort just to get 1 MPG more than I'm getting in my auto around town (15-16 MPG average).

OP - Driving style or removing the extra weight (mods) are the only real ways to make a difference. As a vehicle ages the MPG will vary a little. Regular maintenance to keep things is good shape is the best thing you can do mechanically.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my concern is that i noticed a drop in my mpg's prior to any mods i made. by a couple of mpg's too. i use to get ~350 miles out of a tank in around town driving, and that dropped to 300 at most before i ever did any mods. tires were always inflated properly, wasnt driving any different than normal.

just seemed like something else was wrong prior to any mods that i made.

·
on line
3,331 Posts
my concern is that i noticed a drop in my mpg's prior to any mods i made. by a couple of mpg's too. i use to get ~350 miles out of a tank in around town driving, and that dropped to 300 at most before i ever did any mods. tires were always inflated properly, wasnt driving any different than normal.

Did you notice it in the fall? They switch over to "winter" gas at the stations in September. It was mentioned in an above post. It could simply be related to the quality of gas you are putting in.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I get as good of mileage as that with my 87 octane auto. The only way to get better mileage outta the manual is to drive so painfully slow that its not practical. Even if I had a manual, I'm not going to shift at 1200 rpms from a stop light anyway.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no, i have noticed it over the past 2 years, just before i moved to South Florida and since. I only recently(september) started doing any mods to my X.

Do they do the same gas switch for warm weather locales such as florida?

Not that it matters, since it has been this way since before i moved here and ive been through all the seasons(even though its really just a long summer with a couple cooler days)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Running A/C will use more gas so being in the warm weather probably accounts for some of that since you moved.

My MPG will vary, one tank will be 15 then the next 12 then back up to 14.5. I noticed a real hit when they closed the road I took to work for construction and I had to go a different route with more traffic/lights. It made about a 3 MPG reduction during those 3 months.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Camrys are only good for off roading into Death Valley :) For mpg I'd get a VW diesel if I had a commute. Tanks of gas lasted 2 weeks with myOutback lasts 2 weeks with Xterra. The winter mpg has been abysmal 10-12 local driving.
At Christmas got 18.6 cruising rural DE so there is no issue with vehicle. Cold wether and city traffic dont do well for MPG. Those in rural areas really have no reason to complain.
Drive my camry...~30mpg :)

·
Registered
186 Posts

I got mine with 9 miles on it, Oct 12. I drove to Florida in the spring and the best I got was 308 miles in a tank all highway at 75 mph (cruise control). But, around town town driving I get 260mi out of a tank.
I'm stock.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
as already posted. keep it tuned. check tire pressures. switch to synthetic oil. easy on the go pedal. i noticed with the winter gas and cold weather, my mileage has dropped BIG TIME! :(

·
Registered
433 Posts
I am getting 16-17 mpg around town on winter gas and 17-18mpg in town in the summer. I also see 21-22 mpg on the highway, sometimes 23+ with cruise control. I have auto trans with 23K miles.
only thing you can do is keep up on maintenance and tire psi. how you drive makes the biggest difference.

If you have bigger then stock tires and want better mpg, get stock size tires! if you have LT tires get P rated (they weigh less). If you have a ton of gear in you're truck all the time take things you don't need out, every 100lbs is about 10% difference in mpg. you could do some creative fab work to help air flow, but this will limit usability. and you wont save enough mpg to make you're money back on the fab work.

bottom line seems to be if the 16-18 combined average mpg is too low for you, then you should rethink your choice of vehicle.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i by no means am regretting my vehicle choice(obviously since ive owned it since 2007 and dont see myself getting rid of my X until i have to). I have no problem with my mileage after mods. Im very happy with the way my X is currently looking and handling.

I was just curious if there were any simple things that i may have been overlooking that would help gas mileage. its not like the 2-3 mpg drop is making the truck too expensive for me. i knew when i bought it that the mpg was not the best on the road.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts